Open-source hardware is quickly growing from research projects to commercial embedded processing hardware with RISC-V at the forefront of the revolution. This report examines the market for commercially available RISC-V-based ASICs, FPGAs, SoCs, and other semiconductors used in IoT and embedded systems. In addition to extensive market sizing, segmentation, and forecasting, this research analyzes the growing RISC-V ecosystem as well as embedded engineers and developers' processor, software, and tool selection criteria, preferences, and trends.
WHAT QUESTIONS ARE ADDRESSED?
- Why is RISC-V finding traction and building momentum within the IoT and embedded market?
- How will the growth of different RISC-V processor types evolve and impact competition in the future?
- Who were the market leaders for RISC-V merchant embedded processors in 2019?
- Where is the RISC-V ISA being adopted more quickly than other geographies?
- Which industries are driving the most revenues for RISC-V processors?
- What do engineers and developers value most about embedded processors?
- What tools do engineers view most important for RISC-V projects?
- What software vendors are investing the most in the RISC-V ecosystem?
VENDORS LISTED IN THIS REPORT:
- GreenWaves Technologies
- IAR Systems
- Microsemi (Microchip Technology)
- RISC-V Foundation
- SEGGER Microcontroller
- The Linux Foundation
- Western Digital
- Wind River
TABLE OF CONTENTS
GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW
- Recent Developments
- Competitive Landscape
COMPARATIVE FORECAST BY VERTICAL MARKET
COMPARATIVE FORECAST BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL
- Competitive Landscape Overview
- Vendor Insights
- RISC-V is Piquing Interest from Everyone
- RISC-V is Boosting Emulation, Validation and Prototyping Tools Space
- Processor Selection Still Boils Down to Price and Performance
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
List of Report Exhibits
- Exhibit 1: Forecasted Global Shipments of RISC-V Processors Segmented by Processor Type, 2018-2023
- Exhibit 2: RISC-V Instruction Set Architecture Extensions, Current & Planned
- Exhibit 3: RISC-V Software Status (March 2020)
- Exhibit 4: Types of Tools Used in Current/Most Recently Completed Project
- Exhibit 5: RISC-V Foundation Members (March 2020)
- Exhibit 6: RISC-V Foundation Membership Levels
- Exhibit 7: Global Shipments of RISC-V Processors Segmented by Geography, 2018-2023
- Exhibit 8: Global Shipments of RISC-V Processors Segmented by Vertical Market, 2018 & 2023
- Exhibit 9: Global Shipments of RISC-V Processors Segmented by Distribution Channel, 2018 & 2023
- Exhibit 10: Global Shipments of RISC-V Processors Segmented by Leading Vendor
- Exhibit 11: Current Use and Consideration for Using RISC-V for Current or Similar Projects Segmented by Primary/Application Processor Type Used, Region, Vertical Market, and Organization Size
- Exhibit 12: Languages Used to Develop Software for Current Project & Expected to Use 3 Years from Now
- Exhibit 13: Most Important Characteristics When Selecting the Compiler Used on Current or Recent Project
- Exhibit 14: Biggest Advantages/Benefits of Cross-Engineering Domain Integrations
- Exhibit 15: Most Important Characteristics When Choosing an Embedded Processor Segmented by Primary/ Application Processor Type
- Exhibit 16: Number of Different Types of Processing Units Used on Current Projects