As warehousing operations compete aggressively for a shrinking labor pool and for a diminishing availability of space, technological efficiencies are a must. This report provides actionable insight into this sector's intertwining landscape of technology adoption, big picture market pressures, decision making trends, competitive perspectives and shifting frontline workforce factors.
Vendors mentioned in this report:
Datalogic, Honeywell, Infor, Ivanti Wavelink, JDA, Manhattan Associates, Motorola Solutions, NetSuite, Inc., Panasonic, Rocket Software, SAP, Smart Gladiator, StayLinked, Zebra Technologies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
WAREHOUSING MOBILITY MARKET SIZING AND FORECASTS
- Figure 1: Current & Forecast Worldwide Total Rugged Form Factor Computer Shipments (USD, in millions)
- Figure 2: Current and Forecast Global Total Rugged Handheld Shipments by Operating System (unit volume)
- Tablet Adoption
- Figure 3: Worldwide Shipment Forecasts for Forklift Mounted Units
- Wearables and Accessory Technologies
WAREHOUSING OPERATIONS FACE MOUNTING PRESSURES
- Figure 4: What are the most significant obstacles facing warehousing operations in general?
- Figure 5: How would you rate the maturity of your organization's mobile technology used by warehouse employees?
BARRIERS TO AND PRIORITIES OF PLAYING MOBILITY CATCHUP IN THE WAREHOUSE
WAREHOUSE MOBILITY STACKS HAVE NOT CHANGED MUCH BY WAY OF LOOKS
- Figure 6: Top 3 Warehouse Roles Equipped with Mobile Devices
- Figure 7: When evaluating mobile devices for employees, what are the most important
WAREHOUSING'S ANDROID MIGRATION ACCELERATES ITS PACE OF MOBILITY CAPABILITIES
DATA ANALYTICS WILL HELP CREATE THE SPACE WAREHOUSING OPERATIONS DESPERATELY NEED
- Figure 8: Which Warehouse Management System (WMS) is currently in use within your warehouse or distribution center facility?
- Elements of Automation to Increase in the Warehouse alongside Data Analytics Initiatives
WAREHOUSING OPS' TECH SHIFTS ARE A FOCAL POINT OF ITS LABOR ISSUES
- Figure 9: Single Most Significant Labor Concerns Regarding Modern WH/DC Ops
THE BOTTOM LINE
ABOUT VDC RESEARCH
List of Excel Exhibits
- Exhibit I-1: Current and Forecast Worldwide Total Rugged Mobile Computer Shipments
- Exhibit II-1: Current and Forecast Worldwide Total Rugged Mobile Computer Shipments by Form Factor
- Exhibit II-2: Current and Forecast Worldwide Total Rugged Mobile Computer Shipments by Form Factor
- Exhibit II-3: Current and Forecast Worldwide Total Rugged Mobile Computer Shipments by Form Factor
- Exhibit III-1: Current and Forecast Global Total Rugged Handheld Shipments by Operating System
- Exhibit IV-1: Current and Forecast Global Total Voice-Enabled Workflow Solutions by Operating System
- Exhibit V-1: Worldwide Shipment and Average Selling Price Forecasts for Forklift Mounted Units
- Exhibit V-2: Current and Forecast Global Total Forklift-Mounted Rugged Tablet Shipments by Operating System
- Exhibit V-3: Current and Forecast Global Total Rugged Forklift Computer Shipments by Operating System
- Exhibit VI-1: Which of the following statements BEST describes your position within your company?
- Exhibit VI-2: Which of the following statements BEST describes your level of involvement in your company's mobile initiatives?
- Exhibit VI-3: In which region is your organization located/headquartered?
- Exhibit VI-4: What is the approximate number of total employees at your organization?
- Exhibit VI-5: Is your organization currently using or planning to deploy mobile technologies to support your daily operations?
- Exhibit VI-6: Which of the following best describes your organization's primary business or industry?
- Exhibit VI-7: What are the leading priorities driving your organization's investments in mobile warehousing solutions? Select up to 3 most relevant.
- Exhibit VI-8: How would you characterize your organization in terms of its relationship to new mobile technologies?
- Exhibit VI-9: About what percent of your organization's IT budget is devoted to research / development of new technology deployments?
- Exhibit VI-10: Which of the following best describes your organization's warehouse facilities?
- Exhibit VI-11: How much warehouse space does your organization manage?
- Exhibit VI-12: What are your organization's annual inventory turns?
- Exhibit VI-13: What is the total number of SKUs managed by your warehouse/DC facilities?
- Exhibit VI-14: Who within your organization has the greatest influence over mobility initiatives?
- Exhibit VI-15: How would you rate the maturity of your organization's mobile technology used by warehouse employees?
- Exhibit VI-16: Top 3 mobile solutions investment priorities.
- Exhibit VI-17: Overall, how effective have your organization's investments in mobile solutions been at addressing its investment priorities?
- Exhibit VI-18: What would you say are the most significant obstacles facing warehousing operations in general? Select up to 3 most relevant.
- Exhibit VI-19: What are the leading barriers to deploying mobile solutions in your warehousing/DC operation? Select up to 3 most relevant.
- Exhibit VI-20: How satisfied are you with each of the following regarding your organization's mobile solutions?
- Exhibit VI-21: How has your 2019 mobility budget changed relative to your 2018 budget?
- Exhibit VI-22: How do you expect your 2020 budget to change relative to your 2019 budget?
- Exhibit VI-23: How does your organization's 2019 mobile solutions budget break down by the following categories? (Total must equal 100%)
- Exhibit VI-24: When evaluating mobile devices for employees, what are the most important selection criteria? Select up to 3 most relevant.
- Exhibit VI-25: Which of the following warehouse workers within your organization are equipped with mobile devices? Select all that apply.
- Exhibit VI-26: Which of the following mobile devices are currently deployed to warehousing employees for work-related uses? Select all that apply.
- Exhibit VI-27: You indicated that warehouse/DC employees at your organization use voice-guided wearable devices in the previous question. Please select the options below that align with the uses for these voice-guided devices among your employees. Select all that apply.
- Exhibit VI-28: Which mobile operating systems are running on mobile devices that support your organization's warehouse/DC applications? Select up to the top 3 most relevant answers.
- Exhibit VI-29: What operating system does your organization plan to upgrade to when Windows legacy platforms (Embedded Handheld 6.5.x/Mobile 6.5/CE) reach their end-of-life support in 2020? Exhibit VI-30 Please rank the following employee labor concerns from most significant (1) to least significant (8) regarding modern warehousing/DC operations using the drag-and-drop interface.
- Exhibit VI-31: Do you plan to INCREASE the total number of warehouse/DC employees at your organization's facilities over the next 12 months?
- Exhibit VI-32: Which Warehouse Management System (WMS) is currently in use within your warehouse or distribution center facility?
- Exhibit VI-33: What elements of automation will be present within your warehouse/DC environments within the next 12 months? Please select all that apply.
- Exhibit VI-34: When was the last time your organization addressed the quality of wireless connectivity with a project or initiative to improve coverage within any of its facilities?
- Exhibit VI-35: Which of the following best describes your organization's position regarding the promises of near-future 5G networks and 5G-ready technologies?