‘Global Contract Logistics 2019’ examines key trends in contract logistics and 3PL operations and provides analysis and evaluation of future practices expected in the industry. It contains in-depth analysis of the EV supply chain and makes forecasts about how logistics solutions for this sector will change. The report also looks into the use of benchmarks and KPIs used to measure efficiencies of warehouse operations.
In addition, Ti has ranked the leading contract logistics providers on both a global and regional basis (Asia Pacific, Europe and North America), and provides the market shares of these providers based on Ti's bespoke contract logistics market sizes.
This report contains comparative analysis of leading contract logistics providers:
- Approach to and implementation of technology
- Financial performance - margins in contract logistics
- Approach to strategic threats - deglobalisation, shifts in vertical sectors
The following contract logistics providers are profiled:
- DB Schenker
- DHL Supply Chain
- Kuehne + Nagel
- Hitachi Transport System
- Nippon Express
- XPO Logistics
- Yusen Logistics
This report is perfect for:
- C-level executives at logistics companies and shippers
- VP and Directors responsible for contract logistics services
- Marketing managers at logistics companies
- Logistics and supply chain procurement staff at shippers
- Logistics and supply chain managers at shippers
- Consultants working in the contract logistics market
- Financial analysts with interests in the contract logistics market
- Supply chain analysts at logistics companies
About the authors:
As Head of Research, Nick is responsible for all of Ti's research products, including logistics market and vertical sector reports, as well as Ti's flagship Global Supply Chain Intelligence (GSCi) market intelligence portal. Nick is actively involved in research for these product ranges, as well as in the development of new and existing research capabilities at Ti. Nick also coordinates the efforts of Ti's team of researchers and analysts, and supports Ti's consultancy offering for a global client base.
Thomas is a widely respected writer and has been analyzing the global logistics market for over 15 years. He has edited a number of international publications and written for most of the leading trade publications in Europe. He has written several in-depth reports on a variety of subjects including Automotive and Chemical logistics.
Violeta Keckarovska is a research analyst with vast experience in the design, implementation and analysis of electronic and person-to-person surveys. Having worked across a number of sectors, including retail, luxury goods and FMCG, Violeta is experienced in gaining valuable insights across brand perception, voice of customer and strategic re-positioning intelligence campaigns for B-to-B and B-to-C clients.
As a member of the Market Research Society, Violeta brings best practice in research, insight and analytics across Ti.
Professor John Manners-Bell BA (Hons) MSc AKC FCILT
Prof John Manners-Bell is Chief Executive of Ti, Honorary Visiting Professor at the London Metropolitan University's Guildhall Faculty of Business and Law and an adviser to the World Economic Forum. He has over 25 years' experience working in and analysing the global logistics sector.
Table of Contents
1. Key findings
2. Contract logistics developments
- 2.1. Transport for Electric & Digital Vehicle production
- 2.1.1. Supply Chain Geography
- 2.1.2. Supply Chain Process
- 2.1.3. Information rich transport planning
- 2.1.4. Less dedicated & more open
- 2.1.5. Winners & Losers
- 2.1.6. A word about batteries
- 2.1.7. Platforms and Supply Chain Management in Electric Vehicles: VW's MEB case study
- 2.2. Pharmaceuticals Market Structure
- 2.2.1. Healthcare Spending
- 2.2.2. Trade Dynamics
- 2.2.3. Trends in Pharma
- 2.2.4. Drivers of growth in Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals
- 2.2.5. Pharmaceutical Logistics Market Sizing 2018
- 2.2.6. Factors affecting pharmaceuticals logistics spend
- 2.2.7. Forecasting the market for pharmaceutical logistics
- 2.2.8. Pharma approach to Purchasing and Managing Logistics
- 2.2.9. Clinical Trials Logistics
- 2.2.10. Biologics
- 2.2.11. Regulatory impact on logistics
- 2.2.12. Major pharma markets
- 2.3. A new retail era
- 2.3.1. Retail in the US
- 2.3.2. Emerging Market retail
3. Warehouse Operations Benchmarking
- 3.1. Why Is Measurement Important?
- 3.2. What Are The Key Benchmarks?
- 3.3. Using Benchmarks Effectively
- 3.4. The Implications of Inefficient Operations
- 3.5. The Problem With Benchmarks
- 3.6. How Can Performance Be Improved?
- 3.7. Alternative Warehouse Operation Assessment Method
- 3.8. Conclusion
- 4.1. Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- 4.1.1. Supply chain inventory management
- 4.1.2. Big Data and AI
- 4.1.3. Logistics applications of AI
- 4.1.4. Outlook
- 4.2. Robotics
- 4.2.1. Types of robots
- 4.2.2. Robots in logistics
- 4.2.3. People versus robots
- 4.2.4. What will be the future role of the logistics provider?
- 4.3. Blockchain
- 4.3.1. What is needed to achieve the state proposed?
- 4.3.2. What are the risks?
- 4.3.3. What are the opportunities?
- 4.3.4. What barriers may limit adoption?
- 4.3.5. What is the potential for these innovations to be in place in 2030?
- 4.4. Digital Logistics Marketplaces in the warehousing sector
- 4.4.1. Pros and Cons of ‘On-demand' Warehousing
- 4.4.2. Case Studies of On-Demand Warehouse Providers
- 4.5. 3D Printing
- 4.5.1. What is needed to achieve the state proposed?
- 4.5.2. What are the risks?
- 4.5.3. What are the opportunities?
- 4.5.4. What barriers may limit adoption?
- 4.5.5. Adoption by industry sectors
- 4.5.6. What is the potential for these innovations to be in place in 2030?
5. Global Contract Logistics Market Sizing
- 5.1. Global Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.2. Asia Pacific Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.3. Europe Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.4. Middle East & North Africa Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.5. North America Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.6. Russia, Caucasus and Central Asia Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.7. South America Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 5.8. Sub-Saharan Africa Contract Logistics Market Size & Forecast
- 6.1. Top 10 Players and Market Shares
- 6.1.1. Global
- 6.1.2. Asia Pacific
- 6.1.3. Europe
- 6.1.4. North America
- 6.2. Providers
- 6.2.1. CEVA
- 6.2.2. DB Schenker Logistics
- 6.2.3. DHL Supply Chain
- 6.2.4. DSV
- 6.2.5. Geodis
- 6.2.6. Hitachi Transport System
- 6.2.7. Kuehne + Nagel
- 6.2.8. Nippon Express
- 6.2.9. Pantos Logistics
- 6.2.10. Ryder
- 6.2.11. UPS Supply Chain
- 6.2.12. XPO Logistics
- 6.2.13. Yusen Logistics