What is a comprehensive list of the commercial SCT technologies, including all startups? Who are the emerging SCT startup companies? What are the major driving forces, trends, challenges, and growth opportunities? Which research field are actively using SCT? What are the important features in popular applications like cell line development, antibody discovery, and SC genomics? Etc.
Report's key features:
- Identification of comprehensive list of SCT companies and their products including all startups & pre-commerce stage startups
- Segmentation by core-technology and application& Technology landscape and analysis
- Overall market dynamics and strategies observed in SCTmarket
- Important features in popular applications like cell line development, antibody discovery, and SC genomics
- Overview of single cell biology and research fields that are actively using SCT and SC studies' workflow
The global single cell technology (SCT) market has emerged since 2014. There are over 43 companies with various 49 SCT products commercialized worldwide, and over 15 pre-commerce-stage startups are lined up and keep increasing. The market size is over $800 M in 2019, at a CAGR of ~24%. The market is expected to grow significantly by the growing awareness of the single cell projects among biology communities, the growth of precision medicine and diagnostic industry, the antibody therapeutic drug development, the entry of new players, etc. However, the high cost of the equipment, the requirement of the in-person demo, various remaining technical challenges & defaults of the products that rushed into the market too early, and lack of interdisciplinary expertise on the customer sides could limit the market growth rates. Acquisitions and partnerships are actively seen for most of the competitive technology industry.
The majority (~60%) of the market players are small-sized startup companies with under 100 employees, however, the market share is highly concentrated on four major companies (BD, 10x genomics, Fluidigm, and Berkeley light), yet this market share can change as the market is expanding and more new players are entering, more differentiation among players is expected. Primarily, the SCT market has a complex market structure characterized by its wide range of technology mixtures and various types of users across various life science research fields. The general functionalities of the SCT are single cell (SC) isolation, SC-sequencing, SC-protein analysis, or SC-focused manipulation. Among those, the first two category products (SC-isolation and SC-sequencing) account for ~72% of the market.
SCT can be applied in most of the life science application as it is defined by any biological science experimentation that handles and generate single cell resolution data. Stem cell research and cancer research are the fields of studies that have adapted SCT the most, and immunology and neurobiology also have a growing need in SCT. The market is categorized by the core technologies (11 categories) and by the applications (5 categories) . The core technology categories include the following 4 conventional methods: cell picking, limited dilution, FACS, and laser capture microdissection (LCM) technologies, but also the following 7 novel technologies: automatic single cell picking, automatic single cell dispensing, microwell-based single cell isolation/analysis, microfluidic chip based-single cell analysis, droplet microfluidics-based, novel cytometry, and cell manipulation. The five application categories include single cell isolation, SC-DNA/RNA sequencing, cell line development, protein or functional analysis, and drug discovery & diagnostics researches.
Table of Contents
Part One: The market and strategy perspectives
Chapter 1. Market structure and market size
- 1.1. Market structure
- The complexity of the SCT market
- Market players
- 1.2. Market size
- Market size by revenue
- Market share
- Market forecast
- 1.3. Market's dynamic growth & restraint factors
- External influencers
- The time is now: a paradigm shift in biology research
Chapter 2. Projecting strategic plans
- 2.1. Strategic moves by current SCT companies
- R & D expenditures
- Recent partnerships and acquisitions
- Marketing channels
- 2.2. Market innovating strategy
- The core concept of strategy and a concept of trade-off
Part Two: Biology and its evolution- Market from the customers perspective
Chapter 3. Single cell biology by -omics and field of study
- 3.1. Single cell biology: physics and engineering meet biology
- Why single cell
- Remained challenges in SC studies
- 3.2. Single cell biology by -omics fields
- What is inside of a cell?
- Intro to genomics, epi-genomics, and transcriptomics (=sequencing omics)
- Introduction to proteomics
- Other omics that complete phenomics, integrated omics
- 3.3. Single cell biology by field of studies
- SCT can be applied in almost every life science domain
- Popular fields of study
Chapter 4. Understanding the customer and their workflow
- 4.1. Understand the customer's workflow
- Single-cell analysis workflow
- 4.2. Understand the customer experience cycle
- The cost vs the value before making a purchase decision
Part Three: Market from the technology providers perspective
Chapter 5. Market segments by technology
- 5.1. Overview
- 5.2. Manual picking
- 5.3. Limited dilution
- 5.4. FACS: fluorescence activated cell sorter
- Limitation of FACS
- Market trends for FACS and emergence of microfluidic chip-based cell sorter
- 5.5. Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM)
- 5.6. Automatic single cell pickers
- 5.7. Single cell dispensing
- 5.8. Microwell based single cell isolation
- 5.9. Microfluidics chip-based single cell analysis
- 5.10. Droplet microfluidics
- 5.11. New type of cytometry and spectroscopy
- 5.12. Fluidics and cell manipulation
Chapter 6. Market segments by applications
- 6.1. Overview
- 6.2. SC-DNA and RNA sequencing
- 6.3. Cell line development
- 6.4. Protein or functional analysis
- 6.5. Drug discovery and Diagnostics
Chapter 7. Emerging early stage SCT startup companies
- 7.1. Emerging early stage SCT startup companies
- About Singlecell Enabled and the author
LIST OF FIGURES
- FIGURE 1-1: THE COMPLEXITY OF THE SCT MARKET IS CAUSED BY VARIOUS PURPOSES AND VARIOUS CUSTOMERS.
- FIGURE 1-2: A SURGE OF SCT PRODUCTS RELEASED SINCE 2014.
- FIGURE 1-3: CURRENT SINGLE CELL BIOTECHNOLOGY MARKET SPACE BY THEIR MAIN FUNCTIONALITIES AND THE NUMBER OF PRODUCTS IN EACH CATEGORY.
- FIGURE 1-4: LIFE CYCLE OF A NOVEL BIOTECH PRODUCT MOVING FROM MONOPOLY TO MONOPOLISTIC COMPETITION
- FIGURE 1-5: THE PORTER'S FIVE FORCES.
- FIGURE 1-6: THE SIZE OF THE SCT COMPANIES BY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES
- FIGURE 1-7: THE SIZE OF THE SCT COMPANIES BY THEIR REVENUES (UNIT: MILLIONS USD)
- FIGURE 1-8: THE LOCATION OF THE SCT COMPANIES ON THE WORLD MAP.
- FIGURE 1-9: REVENUE AND NET INCOME TRAJECTORIES OF THE FLUIDIGM, 10X GENOMICS, BERKELEY LIGHT.
- FIGURE 1-10: THE SCT MARKET SIZE GROUPED BY COMPANY SIZES AND BY THE 4 COMPANIES' MARKET SHARE.
- FIGURE 1-11: MARKET SHARE OF THE TOP 4 PLAYERS
- FIGURE 1-12: QUESTIONS AROUND MARKET SIZE BY VOLUME
- FIGURE 1-13: GLOBAL ENTERPRISE EXPENDITURE ON R&D IN 2017, SOURCE: OECD STAT.
- FIGURE 1-14: PROPAGATION OF SINGLE CELL BIOLOGY IN THE ENTIRE LIFE SCIENCE BIOLOGY SPACE.
- FIGURE 1-15: SINGLE CELL TECHNOLOGY MARKET REVENUE (US$ MN) AND MARKET GROWTH Y-O-Y (%) 2017~2025
- FIGURE 1-16: STRATEGIC PLANNING REQUIRES BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL PERSPECTIVES. THE FOUR LAYERS OF EXTERNAL INFLUENCES.
- FIGURE 1-17: LONG TERM GROWTH FACTORS AND SHORT-TERM RESTRAINTS
- FIGURE 1-18: LIFE CYCLE OF TECHNOLOGY PRODUCT IN THE TIMELINE
- FIGURE 2-1: VARIOUS COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES THAT A COMPANY CAN CHOOSE TO FOCUS ON TO GROW.
- FIGURE 2-2: THE FLOW OF THE VALUE CHAIN UNTIL IT REACHES THE CUSTOMERS.
- FIGURE 2-3: MARKETING CHANNELS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE CUSTOMERS AND THE PUBLIC.
- FIGURE 2-4: A POSTER BY BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY
- FIGURE 2-5: CORE CONCEPT OF STRATEGY.
- FIGURE 2-6: THE ELIMINATE-REDUCE-RAISE-CREATE GRID
- FIGURE 2-7: REASONS OF NON-CUSTOMERS
- FIGURE 3-1: THE COMPARISON OF BULK ASSAY AND SINGLE CELL ASSAY.
- FIGURE 3-2: THE INTRINSIC CHALLENGES SURROUNDING HIGH THROUGHPUT SINGLE CELL STUDIES.
- FIGURE 3-3: THE PURPOSE AND DEFINITION OF SINGLE CELL BIOLOGY
- FIGURE 3-4: TOWARDS UNDERSTANDING CELL TYPES AND CELL STATE
- FIGURE 3-5: THE HISTORY OF TECHNOLOGY BREAKTHROUGHS THAT ARE RELEVANT TO SC BIOLOGY.
- FIGURE 3-6: WHAT IS INSIDE OF A CELL?
- FIGURE 3-7: WHAT IS -OMICS IN BIOLOGY?
- FIGURE 3-8: THE LAYER OF EIGHT DIFFERENT OMICS IN BIOLOGY.
- FIGURE 3-9: EVOLUTION OF DNA SEQUENCING TECHNOLOGY.
- FIGURE 3-10: WORKFLOWS OF MASS SPECTROMETRY
- FIGURE 3-11: MULTI-OMICS THAT COMPLETE PHENOMICS.
- FIGURE 3-12: THINGS TO STUDY WHEN LOOKING AT A CELL.
- FIGURE 3-13: THE FOUR POPULAR FIELDS OF STUDY THAT ACTIVELY USE SCT + THE REST OF BIOLOGY.
- FIGURE 3-14: MESH SEARCH QUERY OF "SINGLE-CELL ANALYSIS" VS "CYTOLOGICAL TECHNIQUES".
- FIGURE 3-15: THE NUMBER OF PAPERS COUNT COMPARISON OF THE FOUR MAJOR FIELDS FOR MESH SEARCH QUERY
- FIGURE 4-1: THE OVERVIEW OF THE WORKFLOW OF CONVENTIONAL BULK CELL EXPERIMENTS VS SINGLE CELL EXPERIMENTS
- FIGURE 4-2: IN VARIOUS SC-OMICS WORKFLOW, THE FIRST STEP IS SINGLE CELL ISOLATION.
- FIGURE 4-3: THE PROCESS OF DECIDING SC RESEARCH PROJECTS
- FIGURE 4-4: THE CRITERIA THAT RESEARCHERS LOOK FOR WHEN PURCHASING A BIOTECH EQUIPMENT
- FIGURE 4-5: A TYPICAL SALE CYCLE FOR BIOTECH INSTRUMENTS.
- FIGURE 5-1: THE ELEVEN SINGLE CELL BIOTECHNOLOGIES CLASSIFIED IN THIS REPORT.
- FIGURE 5-2: TECHNOLOGY ADD-ON TOWARDS CURRENT FACS.
- FIGURE 5-3: STRATEGIC CANVAS OF FACS VS MICROFLUIDICS SINGLE CELL SORTER.
- FIGURE 5-4: THE THREE TECHNOLOGY UNITS ENABLING AUTOMATIC SINGLE CELL PICKING SOLUTION.
- FIGURE 5-5: THE TWO VARIABLES TO PERFECT SINGLE CELL DISPENSING TECHNOLOGY.
- FIGURE 5-6: MICRO-FABRICATION MICROWELLS THAT ARE APPLIED FOR VARIOUS SINGLE CELL BIOASSAYS.
- FIGURE 5-7: THE TECHNOLOGY ADD-ON TO REACH DROPLET SINGLE CELL SEQUENCING TECHNOLOGY.
- FIGURE 5-8: THE SCT MARKET LANDSCAPE BY 43 COMPANY COUNTS (WITH COMPANY LOGOS)
- FIGURE 5-9: THE SCT MARKET SPACE BY 43 COMPANY COUNTS
- FIGURE 5-10: THE SCT MARKET SPACE BY 49 PRODUCT COUNTS
- FIGURE 6-1: TWO FACTORS IN DECIDING THE APPLICATION SOLUTION.
- FIGURE 6-2: THE FIVE CATEGORIES OF THE SCT APPLICATIONS
- FIGURE 6-3: PRICING MAP (FOR REAGENT COST) OF THE FOUR TECHNOLOGIES AGAINST THE LEVEL OF THROUGHPUT
- FIGURE 6-4: MAMMALIAN CELL LINE DEVELOPMENT WORKFLOW.
- FIGURE 6-5: IMPORTANT CRITERIA OF CLD APPLICATIONS.
- FIGURE 6-6: AFFINITY BASED FLUORESCENCE ASSAY
- FIGURE 6-7: PIONEER, MIGRATOR, SETTLER MAP OF SINGLE CELL PROTEIN ANALYSIS PRODUCTS
- FIGURE 7-1: MAP OF TECHNOLOGY AND MARKET LANDSCAPE OF THE 15 EMERGING SCT STARTUPS.
LIST OF TABLES
- TABLE 1-1: FOUR MARKET STRUCTURES IN THE ORDER OF COMPETITIVENESS FROM HIGH TO LOW
- TABLE 1-2: REVENUES OF THE 8-MEDIUM SIZE (BY EMPLOYEE NUMBER) MARKET PLAYERS
- TABLE 1-3: ESTIMATED REVENUES OF THE 25 SMALL SIZE STARTUP COMPANIES
- TABLE 1-4: REVENUES OF THE 10 BIG BIOTECH COMPANIES WITH SCT PRODUCTS (MILLION USD)
- TABLE 1-5: SCT MARKET SHARES BY FUNCTIONAL CATEGORIES
- TABLE 1-6: GLOBAL RESEARCH BUDGETS FOR LIFE SCIENCE ACADEMIC INSTITUTES (THE YEAR 2018 OR 2019)
- TABLE 1-7: OTHER MARKET REPORTS ANALYSIS ON SCT MARKETS
- TABLE 1-8: A LIST OF MARKET GROWTH DRIVERS AND RESTRAINTS.
- TABLE 2-1: R & D EXPENSES OF THE MAJOR SCT BIOTECH COMPANIES. UNITS: MILLION USD.
- TABLE 2-2: RECENT PARTNERSHIPS OF THE SCT COMPANIES
- TABLE 2-3: RECENT 10 ACQUISITIONS BY SCT COMPANIES
- TABLE 3-1: THE FIVE CELLULAR ELEMENTS COMPOSITION PER (HUMAN) CELL.
- TABLE 3-2: TYPES OF SEQUENCING OMICS AND ITS USE CASES IN SINGLE CELL APPROACHES
- TABLE 3-3: LIST OF METHODOLOGIES USED IN PROTEOMICS WITH SINGLE CELL RESOLUTION
- TABLE 3-4: ERC LIFE SCIENCE DOMAIN PANEL STRUCTURE
- TABLE 4-1: THE RESEARCH ARTICLES COMPARING RNA SEQUENCING SINGLE CELL BIOTECHNOLOGIES.
- TABLE 4-2: SCT MARKET SEGMENTATION BY THE CUSTOMERS' POINT OF VIEW
- TABLE 5-1: LIST OF LIMITED DILUTION PROTOCOLS
- TABLE 5-2: LIST OF THE 2 FACS INSTRUMENTS TO SORT SINGLE CELLS.
- TABLE 5-3: LIST OF THE 4 LASER CAPTURE MICRODISSECTION (LCM) INSTRUMENTS
- TABLE 5-4: LIST OF THE 5 AUTOMATIC SINGLE CELL PICKING INSTRUMENTS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 5-5: LIST OF THE 9 SINGLE CELL DISPENSING PRODUCTS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 5-6: THE SINGLE CELL DISPENSING TECHNOLOGY COMPARISON CHART
- TABLE 5-7: LIST OF THE 8 MICROWELL BASED SC ISOLATION/ANALYSIS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 5-8: LIST OF THE 4 MICROFLUIDICS CHIP SC ANALYSIS INSTRUMENTS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE128
- TABLE 5-9: LIST OF THE 6 DROPLET MICROFLUIDICS-BASED INSTRUMENTS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 5-10: LIST OF THE 5 NOVEL CYTOMETRY WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 5-11: LIST OF THE 5 FLUIDICS AND CELL MANIPULATION PRODUCTS WITH PRICE AND INSTALL BASE
- TABLE 6-1: LIST OF THE SINGLE CELL APPLICATIONS AND THE NUMBER OF PRODUCTS IN EACH SEGMENT
- TABLE 6-2: LIST OF THE 8+22 SCT INSTRUMENTS TARGETING SC-SEQUENCING APPLICATION MARKET
- TABLE 6-3: LIST OF THE 21 SINGLE CELL ISOLATION/DISPENSING TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS
- TABLE 6-4: THE REAGENT PRODUCTS FOR THE SC-SEQUENCING APPLICATION
- TABLE 6-5: COMPARISONS OF FOUR SC-RNA-SEQ TECHNOLOGIES
- TABLE 6-6: LIST OF THE COMPANIES POSITIONED IN CELL LINE DEVELOPMENT (CLD) MARKET.
- TABLE 6-7: LIST OF THE 14 SCT INSTRUMENT PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE USED FOR PROTEIN ANALYSIS.
- TABLE 6-8: DRUG DISCOVERY RESEARCH APPLICATION TARGETING PRODUCTS
- TABLE 7-1: LIST OF 15 THE EARLY STAGE SCT STARTUP COMPANIES