CBD the cannabis extract has exploded in popularity across many world markets, from pharmaceuticals and supplements to food & beverages and cosmetics. As fast as it is growing, CBD remains confounded by regulatory issues, while consumer healthcare players looking to get involved face burning questions that must be answered.
For the first time, Nicholas Hall's Reports investigates and answers the 20 most important questions about CBD facing the CHC industry. In an all-new format, this feature report dives into the issues surrounding when and how players should respond to the enormous commercial potential of CBD, across diverse healthcare and retail categories.
In doing so, the report will answer critical questions such as:
- What is the current regulatory status of CBD in leading world markets, and how will it change?
- Should marketers wait for OTC switch of CBD or enter the expanding supplements segment?
- What are the main challenges?
- What will prices and margins look like?
- How strong are the health claims, and is CBD here to stay?
Table of Contents
1. Why does CBD maFer to CHC?
- A plethora of effects
- CBD is disrup&ng categories
- CBD: the omni-ingredient
- CBD and MNCs
- The Israeli precedent
2. Cannabis, marijuana, medical cannabis,
- hemp, CBD ... what's the difference?
- Defining the market
3. What are the health benefits of CBD
- and how strong is the evidence?
- CBD's health claims
- Can CBD's an&-seizure effect be extrapolated to
- other condi&ons?
- The boFom line
4. What are the risks & side-effects of CBD?
- What we know
- What we don't know
- Contraindica&ons / interac&ons
- Overcoming concerns about CBD's safety
5. What is the current regulatory status of CBD?
- North America
- La&n America
6. What are the expected changes in
- CBD regula&on?
- The CBD molecule is legal and should remain legal
- CBD products are in regulatory stasis....
- Regulatory expecta&ons 2020-21
- The boFom line
7. How big is the CBD market?
- Global CBD sales booming
8. How big can the CBD market get?
- Looking to the future of CBD markets around the world
9. Who is using CBD?
- CBD's user base is diverse and expanding
- US consumers
- European consumers
10. Who are the main players in CBD?
- Canopy Growth
- GW Pharmaceu&cals
- Creso Pharma
- Mile High Labs
- Other key M&A
11. What is needed to give the regulatory
- green light to CBD?
- Resolving issues of CBD's classifica&on in the USA
- EU defines CBD as a novel food
- UK blazes a trail in na&onal CBD regula&on
12. Switch or supplements - what is the
- best strategy?
- Should marketers wait to switch from Rx to OTC
- rather than play in the supplement shallows?
13. How are CBD's delivery formats diversifying?
- Vast range of formats available
- CBD oils and &nctures remain most popular
- Launch ac&vity broadens range of delivery formats
14. How is CBD impac&ng other consumer
- goods categories?
- CBD is finding its way into a host of consumer goods
- Dermatologicals & beauty
- Seda&ves & sleep aids
- Oral health
- Other innova&ons in edibles & supplements
15. How is CBD priced?
- What do prices for CBD look like?
16. How is e-Commerce impac&ng CBD growth?
- CBD sales via online channels
17. What are the main CBD supply chain issues?
18. How do marketers develop trust in an
- under-regulated market?
- The importance of trust
- What about regula&on?
- Addressing concerns, building trust
- Different levels of transparency
19. What are the main challenges for
- CHC players?
- Challenge 1: CBD's status amid regulatory uncertainty
- Challenge 2: Differen&a&ng in a saturated market
- Challenge 3: Overcoming supply chain issues
20. What's next?
- Regulatory approval - the path ahead
- More data
- Resolving confusion around CBD as drug or supplement
- Managing formula&on and contamina&on concerns
- CBD around the world
- Are trace cannabinoids the future?
- Will consumer demand stay strong?