Product Code: 71374
The Infrared Thermometer Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11.7% over the forecast period 2021 to 2026. The capacity of these thermometers to take the non-contact measurement of objects is one of the critical determinants that encourage the demand for infrared thermometers worldwide. Besides, the simple handling and smooth operation of infrared thermometers have increased their popularity worldwide.
- With the proliferation of Infrared(IR) Technology in various electronic devices such as cameras, remote-controlled devices, sensors, etc., the technology is increasingly used for temperature measurement in various industries. For instance, maintaining the right temperature of raw material and end-product during the manufacturing of any food & beverage item is driving the new factories to adopt Infrared based temperature measuring devices.
- One of the major drivers behind the adoption of infrared thermometers for industrial use is their efficiency, accuracy, and durability. Various vendors in the market are focusing on offering solutions specific to industries; for instance, Testo offers its Testo 104-IR Infrared & Probe Thermometer as part of its food safety thermometer to monitor food items that are in transit during the supply chain.
- Apart from this, the IR based thermometers are increasingly becoming part of the global automation and predictive maintenance demand as the temperature is one of the key measures in maintenance and routine check of equipment used in the manufacturing industry.
- Predictive maintenance is one of the primary functional use of IR thermometers in the market; enterprises are increasingly focusing on investing in predictive maintenance, IoT, and automation. According to a study by Plant Engineering, preventive maintenance is favored by about 80% of the maintenance personnel as part of a multi-faceted maintenance strategy.
- Technicians that that participate in infrared predictive maintenance check the temperature of critical equipment regularly; this allows them to track operating conditions over time and quickly identify unusual readings for further inspection. According to studies by the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP), a properly functioning predictive maintenance program offers a savings of 30-40% over reactive maintenance.
- COVID-19 professes an occupational health risk to healthcare workers, where COVID-19 has affected thousands of healthcare workers globally. Therefore, preventing intra-hospital transmission of this infectious disease is a crucial priority for healthcare institutions and administrative bodies.
Key Market Trends
Healthcare Industry to Dominate the Market
- Infrared-sensors are used in medicine to detect the temperature of the skin. The temperature distribution over the human skin surface gives insight into many physiological problems concerned with thermoregulation and metabolism.
- One of the current cutting-edge uses of IR sensor technology is the identification of blood vessels in laparoscopic surgery. Medical infrared thermography (MIT) is used for analyzing physiological functions related to skin temperature. Technological advances have made MIT a reliable medical measurement tool.
- According to WHO, accurate patient identification is one of the nine priorities to improve patient safety. IR thermometers are being incorporated into the healthcare provider's existing infrastructure to enhance access control and identification.
- Infrared (IR) thermometers enable accurate non-contact temperature measurement in medical applications. The most common uses for this type of temperature sensor measure ear temperature, forehead temperature, or skin temperature.
- Thermopiles are designed to measure temperature from a distance by detecting an object's infrared (IR) energy. ATC Semitec offers a wide range of thermal components ideal for sensing temperature - whether non-contact, surface, or intravenously.
- Moreover, Semitec's JT ultra-thin thermistor is increasingly being used within medical devices, due to its speedy response times and flexible film technology. Products such as minimally-invasive glucose monitors and other wearable applications benefit from the JT's neat, flexible format.
North America Holds Major Share of the Market
- North America holds a prominent share of the global market. The US plays a crucial role in increasing the demand from the region compared to Canada. Over the forecast period, the country is expected to dominate the global market, owing to its developed infrastructure that can house advanced solutions across various sectors.
- Several key players in the market, such as Excelitas Technologies, Texas Instruments, Honeywell International, Fluke Corporation, and FLIR Systems, have their presence in this region, which further augment the market growth in the area. Increasing expenditure on the food and electronics industries in countries like Canada and the US boosts the demand for infrared thermometers.
- Smartphones that constitute a significant part of consumer electronics utilize IR sensors (also called proximity sensors according to the user) to detect the distance of an object. The United States is one of the world's largest smartphone markets, with one of the highest smartphone penetration rates worldwide. According to Consumer Technology Association, the value of smartphone sales in the country has increased to USD 77.5 billion in 2019 from USD 33.7 billion in 2012.
- In addition to this, the region's demand for medical devices that are built with IR technology is gaining traction. With the recent outbreak of Covid-19 various commercial facilities and government facilities across the region are increasingly adopting handheld IR based thermometers. Airports across the US are already testing and adopting IR cameras and handheld IR thermometers.
The Infrared Thermometer Market is moderately competitive. Some of the prominent manufacturers of infrared thermometers are Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Omega Engineering Inc., PCE Deutschland GmbH, HORIBA, Ltd., Weiss Instruments LLC, Mediaid, Inc., Fluke Corporation, and Optris GmbH. Principal manufacturers are focusing more on providing advanced infrared thermometers globally. Companies are continuously working on decreasing the prices of these thermometers. Primary manufacturers are trying to offer affordable infrared thermometers across the globe.
- July 2019 - Fluke Corporation has acquired Ismaning, Germany-based PRUFTECHNIK, a market leader in precision laser shaft alignment, condition monitoring, and non-destructive testing. Fluke's acquisition of PRUFTECHNIK reflects the growing importance its customers place on reliability systems to keep their equipment in optimum operating condition.
- May 2020 - Global Care Capital Corp's portfolio company ViraxClear in joint venture with Shanghai Biotechnology Devices Ltd finalized a Letter Of Intent (LOI) with Phyto Pharma Ltd for the supply of 5,000 FDA Registered and CE marked infrared thermometer units for sale in North Africa.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Growing Need for Robust Temperature Measuring Devices in Critical Industries
- 4.2.2 Building Automation in the Industrial Sector
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Diverse Emissivity of the Object or Surface
- 4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Product Type
- 5.1.1 Contact Thermometers
- 5.1.2 Non-contact Thermometers
- 5.2 End User Industry
- 5.2.1 Food and Beverage Industry
- 5.2.2 Electronic Industry
- 5.2.3 Healthcare Industry
- 5.2.4 Other End User Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles*
- 6.1.1 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- 6.1.2 Omega Engineering Inc.
- 6.1.3 HORIBA, Ltd.
- 6.1.4 PCE Deutschland GmbH
- 6.1.5 Weiss Instruments LLC
- 6.1.6 Extech Instruments Corporation
- 6.1.7 Mediaid, Inc.
- 6.1.8 Optris GmbH
- 6.1.9 Fluke Corporation
- 6.1.10 General Tools & Instruments LLC
- 6.1.11 Hioki E.E. Corporation
- 6.1.12 SKF Group
- 6.1.13 OMRON Corporation
- 6.1.14 Thermomedics, Inc.
- 6.1.15 Microlife Corporation
- 6.1.16 Braun GmbH
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET