Product Code: 69486
The Global Microcrystalline Cellulose Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Pharmaceutical and cosmetics are the major end-user industries of microcrystalline cellulose. The ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has altered the face of the beauty industry. As a result of months of consumer lockdowns, international travel bans, and retail business closures, sales, purchases, and usage have fallen across many beauty segments. However, the pharmaceutical industry experienced an increase in production due to the COVID-19 pandemic as the medicines used in hospitals around the world have increased thus increasing the demand for microcrystalline cellulose which is used in the production of drugs. Furthermore, government support in various countries in the pharmaceutical sector is expected positively influence the market studied. For instance, in 2021, in India, the government has approved 19 applications with committed investments of INR 4623.01 crore under the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Promotion of Domestic Manufacturing of critical Key Starting Materials (KSMs)/ Drug Intermediates and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs).
- Over the short term, the growing demand for microcrystalline cellulose from the pharmaceutical industry across significant economies of the world is expected to drive the demand for the market studied.
- On the flipside, the high manufacturing and production cost of microcrystalline cellulose is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market with increasing manufacturing from the pharmaceutical industry in countries like India and China.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Pharmaceutical Industry
- Microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) is a pure partially depolymerized cellulose synthesized from α-cellulose precursor (type IB), obtained as a pulp from fibrous plant material, with mineral acids using hydrochloric acid to reduce the degree of polymerization.
- Microcrystalline cellulose is a commonly used excipient in the pharmaceutical industry. It has excellent compressibility properties and is used in solid dose forms, such as tablets, and is the most widely used direct compression excipient, acting as a strong dry binder, tablet disintegrant, absorbent, filler or diluent, lubricant, and anti-adherent.
- MCC is widely regarded as the diluent with the best binding properties, and it is one of the most commonly used direct compression binders.
- It is used as a binder/diluent in both wet granulation and direct compression processes for oral tablet and capsule formulations. It also has lubricant and disintegrant properties, making it ideal for direct tableting.
- The factors such as disease prevalence, affordability, consumer's attitude, government (and insurance company) policies, and available supply of medicines boost the pharmaceutical industry, which, in turn, increases the demand for microcrystalline cellulose.
- Global pharmaceutical industry is increasing with growing production in countries such as United States, China and India. India is a prominent and rapidly growing market for pharmaceuticals. It has largest number of US-FDA compliant Pharma plants (more than 262 including APIs) outside of USA and has more than 2000 WHO-GMP approved Pharma Plants, 253 European Directorate of Quality Medicines (EDQM) approved plants with modern state of the art Technology.
- Moreover, the companies are also planning to invest across the globe amid increasing demand of pharmaceuticals worldwide. For instance, in December 2020, an Indian company, Piramal Pharma Solutions announced its plans to invest USD 32 million to expand its facility in Michigan, the United States, with additional capacity and new capabilities for development and manufacturing of active pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Hence, owing to the factors mentioned above, the application of microcrystalline cellulose from the pharmaceutical industry is likely to increase during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. The rising demand for microcrystalline cellulose from pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries in countries like China and India is expected to drive the demand for microcrystalline cellulose in this region.
- According to Invest India, the pharmaceutical industry in India is expected to reach USD 65 billion by 2024 and is currently valued at USD 41 billion.
- The largest producers of microcrystalline cellulose are based in the Asia-Pacific region. Some of the leading companies in the production of microcrystalline cellulose are Sigachi Industries Pvt. Ltd, Huzhou City Linghu Xinwang Chemical Co. Ltd, DuPont, Asahi Kasei Corporation, and J. Rettenmaier & Sohne GmbH + Co. KG, among others.
- According to L'Oreal data, the global cosmetic market, which is valued at more than EUR 220 billion, grew by more than 5.5% in 2019, with sales from online platforms gaining the highest momentum, of more than 25% during the same year. This growth is majorly spurred on in the Asia-Pacific region by the limitless diversity of consumer aspirations and owing to the continuous innovations in the industry. Asia-Pacific has the highest demand for cosmetics, particularly luxury products. The region accounted for over half of the skincare market.
- South Korea has one of the world's most exceptional beauty markets. New beauty trends and innovations, featuring sophisticated ingredients and aesthetically-appealing packaging, are constantly on display. The South Korean cosmetics products market was valued at USD 1,578.4 million in 2019, and it is expected to reach USD 1952.05 million by 2025 during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
- Owing to the factors mentioned above, the market for microcrystalline cellulose in the Asia-Pacific region is projected to grow significantly during the study period.
The microcrystalline cellulose market is partially fragmented in nature, with only a few major players dominating the market. Some of the major companies of the market studied include DuPont, Chemfield Cellulose, Accent Microcell, Sigachi Industries Limited, and DFE Pharma, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Demand for Microcrystalline Cellulose from Pharmaceutical Industry
- 4.1.2 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 High Manufacturing and Production Cost
- 4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 on Cosmetics Industry
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Process Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Source
- 5.1.1 Wood-based
- 5.1.2 Non -wood-based
- 5.2 Process
- 5.2.1 Reactive Extrusion
- 5.2.2 Enzyme Mediated
- 5.2.3 Steam Explosion
- 5.2.4 Acid Hydrolysis
- 5.3 End-User Industry
- 5.3.1 Pharmaceutical
- 5.3.2 Food
- 5.3.3 Cosmetics
- 5.3.4 Other End-User Industries
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 5.4.3 Europe
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 France
- 126.96.36.199 Italy
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
- 5.4.4 South America
- 184.108.40.206 Brazil
- 220.127.116.11 Argentina
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
- 5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
- 126.96.36.199 South Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share(%)** /Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Accent Microcell
- 6.4.2 Asahi Kasei Corporation
- 6.4.3 Blanver
- 6.4.4 Chemfield Cellulose
- 6.4.5 DFE Pharma
- 6.4.6 DuPont
- 6.4.7 GUJARAT MICROWAX PVT. LTD.
- 6.4.8 Huzhou City Linghu Xinwang Chemical Co., Ltd
- 6.4.9 J. RETTENMAIER & SOHNE GmbH + Co KG
- 6.4.10 JUKU ORCHEM PVT. LTD.
- 6.4.11 MINGTAI CHEMICAL CO., LTD
- 6.4.12 Sigachi Industries Limited
- 6.4.13 VWR International, LLC (Avantor, Inc.)
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Growing Demand of Microcrystalline Cellulose Composites as Lining Adhesives for Canvas
- 7.2 Other Opportunities