Product Code: 70143
The Food Cans Market is expected to register a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period 2020 to 2025, owing to increasing demand from the urban population and surging innovations in product and packaging solutions.
- The food industry uses cans for packaging of jam, jellies, sauces, salt, and oil and vinegar, among others. According to the U.S Census Bureau, in 2019, 292.74 million people consumed jams, jellies in the country. Also, increasing demand for organic foods is driving the demand for food cans market. For instance, in the United Arab Emirates, more than 38% of consumers are increasingly purchasing organic produce in 2019, according to Arla Foods Survey.
- The food and beverage industry is among the significant users of food cans for packaging due to its ease of disposal, recycling advantages, and increased shelf life. According to 24/7 Wall Street, 98% of Americans keep canned foods in their kitchens, and soup is the biggest category of food that is preserved in a can in the US. The 11 most popular canned soups account for more than 420 million cans annually.
- The primary drivers of the food cans market in the future are expected to be the increasing millennial population around the world. According to UNICEF, by 2050, Africa's young people, i.e., those aged between 0 and 24 years old, will increase by nearly 50 percent. Africa will have the most significant number of young people. Africa's youth are critical to the growth of the food cans market on the continent.
- Stringent regulations by several bodies, such as FDA, CPSC, and ISO, among others, have been instrumental in driving product innovation and sophistication for the food cans market. For instance, according to AMS Europe, aluminum recycling in Europe is estimated to be around 45% above, while Germany has collection and recycling rates above 85%.
- With the expansion of e-commerce, aluminum food cans are significantly used in products as they withhold the property, along with excellent inertness and resistance to any kind of breakage.
- Food security initiatives of various governments are promoting the food and beverage industry in the world, which in turn will drive the demand for food cans for packaging. For instance, in 2019, the Qatar government allocated about QAR 70.0 million annually to support the agricultural sector over the next five years to increase local production of vegetables, animals, and fish.
- With the recent outbreak of COVID 19, the packaging manufacturers are facing supply chain disruption along with decreasing manufacturing at the site in many parts of the world. For ensuring smooth flow of supply chain, Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification programs are providing six-month certificate extensions by conducting a remote audit and risk assessment about COVID-19 such that the company can approve a new supplier location without an on-site inspection to meet the demand.
Key Market Trends
Aluminium Cans to have Significant Market Share
- According to The Aluminium Association, an average aluminum can contain 70 percent recycled metal, making it, by far, the most recycled beverage container. Aluminum cans deliver 100 percent protection against oxygen, light, moisture, and other contaminants. They are resistant to corrosion and provide one of the longest shelf lives of any type of packaging. The lightweight and easily stackability of these cans provide storage and shipping efficiencies and limits overall transportation carbon emissions through logistics and supply chains, thus driving its adoption in packaging.
- Also, in January 2020, Bee'ah, the Middle East's sustainability pioneer, signed MoUs with Unilever Gulf to tackle plastic pollution in the region. In July 2019, Nampak offered aluminum cans to replace its plastic beverages. By using aluminum cans as a substitute for plastic bottles, Nampak makes use of South Africa's high metal recycling rates. The country currently recycles around 76% of all metal packaging products.
- China is the largest producer of primary aluminum, followed by GCC countries, which is supporting the production of aluminum cans for food packaging. According to World Aluminum, from 2018 to 2019, around 128,033 thousand metric tonnes of aluminum were produced worldwide.
- Also, the demand for FMCG products like dairy, fruits, vegetables, etc. due to increasing urbanization is driving the demand for aluminum cans for packaging since they block moisture and protect food from contaminating.
North America to Have Significant Share
- The North American region includes the United States and Canada. The region is expected to have a significant market share in the food cans market.
- Food processing is one of the major manufacturing sectors in the United States, which is driving the demand for food cans in the region. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, 16% of the value of shipments from all US manufacturing plants comes from food processing plants.
- Packaging also significantly increases a product's shelf life, which helps reduce food waste, a significant environmental and economic problem. For example, an estimated 42 percent of fresh peaches are lost at the consumer stage in the US, primarily due to spoilage. For canned peaches, only 9 percent of the product spoils, saving significant resources while providing the same nutritional value.
- Product innovation in the region is also driving the demand for food cans market. For instance, during the last five years, Ball Corp. saved more than 210 metric tons of steel annually or the equivalent to the steel used in 250 cars, by reducing the weight of an end, used with millions of two-piece food cans in North America by 15 percent.
The Food Cans Market is fragmented in nature as there is no major player with a high market share. Major companies operating in the market include Crown Holdings, Wells Can Company, Kian Joo Group, among others. Few recent developments are:
- May 2020 - Crown Holdings Inc. started building its new USD 147.6 million 327,000-square-foot can manufacturing facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and plans to open the facility in spring 2021. Its subsidiary CROWN Cork & Seal USA Inc., will own and operate the advanced-manufacturing plant. It will initially manufacture 1.3 billion cans per year at a rate of 2,800 cans per minute.
- May 2020 - Crown Holdings Inc. launched new gifting tin for brands using decorative finishes and textures on metal packaging for attracting consumers. The gifting tin's inks create an oxidized mineral effect, giving the appearance of natural weathering over time and draws on a color palette that embraces the diversity of nature.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHT
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.1.1 Improving Income Levels and Development of Retail Systems is Increasing the Consumption of Packaged Food & Beverages
- 5.2 Market Challenges
- 5.2.1 Growing Demand for Alternatives such as Flexible Plastics in the Food Industry
- 5.3 Market Opportunities
- 5.4 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By Material
- 6.1.1 Aluminum Cans
- 6.1.2 Steel/Tin Cans
- 6.2 By Application
- 6.2.1 Ready Meals
- 6.2.2 Powder Products
- 6.2.3 Fish & Seafood
- 6.2.4 Fruits & Vegetables
- 6.2.5 Processed Food
- 6.2.6 Pet Food
- 6.2.7 Others
- 6.3 By Geography
- 6.3.1 North America
- 6.3.2 Europe
- 6.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.3.4 Middle-East and Africa
- 6.3.5 Latin America
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 Crown Holdings
- 7.1.2 Wells Can Company
- 7.1.3 Kian Joo Group
- 7.1.4 Silgan Holdings Inc.
- 7.1.5 CAN-PACK S.A
- 7.1.6 Aaron Packaging, Inc.
- 7.1.7 Toyo Seikan Group Holdings, Ltd.
- 7.1.8 Visy Industries
- 7.1.9 Jamestrong Packaging
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 FUTURE OF THE MARKET