Product Code: 51450
The automotive intercooler market is expected to register a CAGR of over 5%, during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Additionally, the report offers the latest trends, size, shares of the key companies, and industrial overview.
The growth of the market studied is directly impacted by the growth of the global automotive turbocharger market, as intercooler plays a vital role in cooling the compressed air. It reduces the air temperature and increases the engine's output and performance, and thus, helps in reducing exhaust emission and meeting the statutory emission limits.
Moreover, intercooler helps in meeting the fuel economy standards by supplying adequate air filled with oxygen, to maintain proper air-fuel ratio and proper combustion to the engine. As intercooler increases the air density, the oxygen content in the air increases, and as a result, the air's ability to accommodate more fuel increases. This helps to ensure better fuel combustion, which, in turn, helps in reducing the exhaust emission content. Increased use and development of downsized engines with the help of turbochargers are expected to help provide better performance and output, in turn, boosting the growth of the market.
However, the demand for EVs is growing at a fast pace across the world, and it is expected to pose a challenge to the growth of automotive intercoolers. Countries are striving to suffice the rising fuel demand by focusing on eco-friendly transportation. EVs reduce the dependence of consumers on gasoline/diesel-based automobiles, and thereby, the need for turbochargers/superchargers decreases. There, it affects the demand for intercoolers.
Between 2020 and 2025, the global automobile industry may undergo an enormous transformation that may include 48-volt mild hybrids, high-voltage hybrids, and electric vehicles. It is estimated that the sales of 48-volt mild hybrids is expected to reach sales near to 25 million units per year, which is more than that of conventional hybrids (nearly 10 million units) and battery electric vehicles (nearly seven million).
Key Market Trends
Increasing Adoption of Turbochargers is likely to Drive the Market Growth
- The growth of the intercooler market is directly related to the automotive turbocharger market. The introduction of new emission legislations in Europe (Euro6d), India (BS-VI), and China (China VIb) has increased pressure on the automotive industry, to develop new and better exhaust gas after-treatment and combustion systems.
- In 2017, Honeywell Technologies unveiled its third-generation gasoline turbocharger technology. According to the company, the new generation has shown a representative increase in power from 90 kW/L to more than 100kW/L and in torque from 175Nm/L to more than 200 Nm/L, over the previous generation technology.
- In November 2019, Garrett Motion Inc. introduced Electric Turbo Technology or E-Turbo. According to the company, the E-Turbo eliminates the lag between the time a driver hits the accelerator and feels the acceleration. Electrifying the turbocharger also removes the design constraints, prioritizing turbine efficiency at low engine speeds to drive the compressor.
- Moreover, E-Turbo can electrically recuperate spent or otherwise wasted exhaust energy by using a small motor, to generate electricity and recharge the hybrid battery. According to the company, the first application of E-Turbo is likely to emerge in premium, high-performance vehicles from 2021 onward, and future application may begin to appear in other segments leading up to 2025. This ability to be an onboard provider of electricity opens options for automakers in designing hybrid powertrains.
- In the light of improvement in the technology of turbochargers, the demand for turbocharged vehicles is expected to increase, which may lead to increase in demand of intercoolers, during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific and North America to Dominate the Market Studied
- Asia-Pacific is dominating the market for automotive intercooler, due to the majority of automotive sales in the region, as well as technological advancements, such as two-stage supercharging, which compress air and transfer it back to the engine and enhance power in the vehicle.
- Another major market for the intercooler is North America. The region is home to many racing events and racing teams, who are involved in making customized systems to be integrated into the vehicle. These systems comprehensively involve the usage of the turbocharging and supercharging systems and have intercooler tailored to meet the needs suited.
- Government norms, such as CAFE standard, which require a car to be 30% more fuel-efficient and are pushing automobile manufacturers, to improve the turbocharger and intercooler technologies, are expected to increase the growth in the North American region.
The automotive intercooler market is a consolidated market. Some of the major players dominating the market are Bell Intercoolers, Mishimoto, BMR, Garrett Motion Inc., and Treadstone Performance Engineering Inc., among others.
- In March 2018, Bugatti unveiled Bugatti Chiron Sport. This car used lightweight wheels, a greater percentage of carbon fiber for the intercooler cover, windscreen wipers made of carbon fiber, lighter glass in the rear window, and a lighter exhaust deflector.
- In May 2017, Genesis begun the first retail deliveries of the new 2018 G80 3.3T sport sedan, with new intercoolers in the engine across the United States.
- In November 2017, the new model of Ford Mk2 Focus RS introduced bigger intercooler, freer-breathing intake, and exhaust systems and the obligatory remapping of fueling and ignition completed the package.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Drivers
- 4.2 Market Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Air to Air Intercooler Market
- 5.1.2 Water to Air Intercooler Market
- 5.1.3 Other Types
- 5.2 By Vehicle Type
- 5.2.1 Passenger Cars
- 5.2.2 Commercial Vehicles
- 5.3 By Engine Type
- 5.3.1 Supercharged Engine
- 5.3.2 Turbocharged Engine
- 5.3.3 Naturally Aspirated Engine
- 5.4 By Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 184.108.40.206 United States
- 220.127.116.11 Canada
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 22.214.171.124 Germany
- 126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
- 188.8.131.52 France
- 184.108.40.206 Spain
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 India
- 22.214.171.124 China
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 South America
- 220.127.116.11 Brazil
- 18.104.22.168 Argentina
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
- 5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
- 188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Vendor Market Share
- 6.2 Company Profiles
- 6.2.1 Bell Intercoolers
- 6.2.2 BMR
- 6.2.3 Hangzhou Kaiya Industry Co. Ltd
- 6.2.4 Garrett Motion Inc.
- 6.2.5 Hybrid Performance Parts
- 6.2.6 Jc Performance Parts
- 6.2.7 Kale Oto Radyator
- 6.2.8 KVR International Co. Ltd
- 6.2.9 Mishimoto
- 6.2.10 Modine Manufacturing
- 6.2.11 Pro Alloy Motorsport Ltd
- 6.2.12 PWR Performance Products Pty Ltd
- 6.2.13 Treadstone Performance Engineering Inc.
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS