Product Code: 67324
The commercial printing market is poised for remarkable growth over the next five years. Technological proliferation along with rising applications across multiple end-use segments is anticipated to encourage the demand globally. Commercial printing prints materials such as business forms, financial printing, and training manuals. Advertising and the product needs of business customers drive demand for high-quality printing jobs. Commercial printing covers a broad range of materials including product manuals, catalogs, direct mail, books, and transactional purposes. For large print-runs, offset printing - which includes the creation of print plates - remains the principal means. However, there is a burgeoning requirement for digital printing, which does not need plates and is nimble enough for short-run production in a wide variety of applications and fast turnaround.
- Offset technology is the most extensively adopted commercial printing technology. Though, there is a shift in the trend from the traditional offset technology to advanced digital high-speed inkjet technology. These provide decreased costs for color prints and have a higher return on investments, and therefore are adopted extensively for a broad range of applications. The demand is majorly propelled by advertising requirements of businesses such as advertising firms, and the size of the commercial print process is hugely dependent on the growth of the economy, especially consumer spending power.
- The lithographic process is observed to be dominating the retail print industry but is expected to suffer market share to methods such as digital prints that are entirely suited to shorter print runs. Application segments include advertising, office products, catalogs, periodicals, labels and wrappers, and directories. Furthermore, it can be used to print garments, books, & other fabrics, documents, financial & legal forms, catalogs, & directories simultaneously with office products.
- The packaging segment will account for the meaningful share of the commercial printing market revenue during the projection period owing to the increasing global packaging industry. Additionally, the report will also give an exact prediction of the contribution of the several employment segments to the extension of the commercial printing market size.
Scope of the Report
A commercial printer is used to create phone books, magazines, catalogs, brochures, labels, business forms, promotional materials, and training manuals, among others. It consists of a paper feed, ink replacer, digital or analog control panel, fold-out tray, memory card reader, and a paper output tray. It finds extensive applications over publishing and printing houses, as well as in big companies that utilize the service to run their facilities and operations efficiently.
Key Market Trends
Digitalization of Commercial Printing is Creating a New Era and New Value
- Commercial printing incorporates a broad range of materials including product manuals, catalogs, direct mail, books, and transactional applications. For large print-runs, offset printing-which includes the creation of print plates - remains the predominant method. Yet, there is a burgeoning demand for digital printing, which does not require plates and is nimble enough for short-run production in a wide range of applications and fast turnaround. Digital printing not only allows output on an as-needed basis but also variable-data printing, in which the content of specific pages can be customized. As a result, it can flexibly match such new customer demands as one-to-one marketing.
- Digital commercial printing technology enables speedy and economical printing of variable-data targeted material, as well as short-run print on demand. These abilities are equal to those of analog commercial print, such as offset, which shines at long runs. Digital print can allow a business based on services rather than manufacturing and can attain greater margins than analog print, which has become widely commoditized.
APAC is Poised to Have the Fastest Growing Market for Commercial Printing
- The APAC region will account for the fastest-growing market throughout the forecast period due to the increasing demand from critical regions including China, India, Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand. The governments in the area will also execute initiatives for raising the literacy rate and boosting quality education. China transcended the US as the world's largest national printing market in 2017, according to the Association for Suppliers of Printing, Publishing and Converting Technologies (NPES).
- China's increasing wages and standard of living have boosted consumer spending, a principal driver of demand for printing services. Packaging accounts for approximately half of China's printing sales, publishing accounts for nearly 30%. Unlike in the West, where printed publications are in decline amid digital options for reading, the printed readership of magazines, books, and newspapers is on the growth in China.
The commercial printing market is significantly fragmented due to the presence of many international and regional companies. Owing to reasons such as the overcapacity of firms and pricing pressures, the market appears to be extremely competitive. Product obsolescence, expansion of commodity materials, and more affordable material imports are the main challenges faced by commercial printing businesses. Demand is encouraged by advertising and product requirements of business customers. The profitability of individual firms is strictly linked to effective sales operations. Small organizations can fight efficiently by giving more genuine local service in a specific product category.
- October 2019 - TC Transcontinental announced the acquisition of Holland & Crosby Limited, a manufacturing company specialized in in-store marketing product printing, including advertising display and signage, for North American retailers. The transaction is aligned with TC Transcontinental's strategy of enhancing its offering in the promising vertical of in-store marketing product printing which has been continuously growing for several years.
- September 2019 - Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd (DNP) introduced a new dye-sublimation digital photo printer1 which is one of the most lightweight and compact2 printers available in the global market. The new printer, DP-QW410, expands the existing product lineup and can be used for a photo booth, event photographers, and ID photo solutions.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Potential Industry Sectors & Increased Demand for Promotional Materials by the Retail, Food and Beverage Industries.
- 4.3.2 The Introduction of Eco-friendly Practices, Reducing the Printing Industry's Impact on the Environment
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Increase in Digitization
- 4.4.2 Rising Dependence on Feedstock Prices
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Offset Lithography
- 5.1.2 Digital
- 5.1.3 Flexographic
- 5.1.4 LED UV Printing
- 5.1.5 Other Types
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Packaging
- 5.2.2 Advertising
- 5.2.3 Publishing
- 5.2.4 Wide Format Graphics
- 5.2.5 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.3.4 Latin America
- 5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Quad/Graphics Inc.
- 6.1.2 ACME Printing
- 6.1.3 LSC Communications US, LLC
- 6.1.4 Cenveo Corporation
- 6.1.5 Transcontinental Inc.
- 6.1.6 Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd.
- 6.1.7 Brown & Co
- 6.1.8 Quebecor World Inc.
- 6.1.9 Toppan Co. Ltd
- 6.1.10 Vistaprint NV
- 6.1.11 Workflow Management Incorporated
- 6.1.12 World Color Press Inc.
- 6.1.13 Lagardere SCA
- 6.1.14 Koenig & Bauer AG
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS