Product Code: 67015
The embedded die packaging market has been expected to grow at a CAGR of 15% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). 3D packaging with embedded die solutions has become more attractive as an integration tool for next-generation devices which will become a key trend in the future.
- Growing miniaturization of devices is driving the market as products are becoming increasingly smaller and embed more functionality. Micromachining and nanotechnology play an increasingly important role in the miniaturization of components ranging from biomedical applications to chemical microreactors and sensors. For instance, Bluetooth wifi modules require minimal circuit board area on today's high-density mobile devices.
- Improved electrical & thermal performance is driving the market. For power management and mobile-wireless application the embedded technology has been evaluated to replace assembles fabrication by not only thinner thickness but due to superior thermal performance. The thermal performance of an embedded die is better than PQFN with a copper clip of about 17%. Also, a new and expandable advanced package for power devices is developed using embedded dies and redistribution layer (RDL) technology for electric cars to improve the electric and thermal performance.
- Difficulty to test, inspect and rework, the embedded die technology challenges the market to grow. As features (lines and spaces) shrink to 2µm and below, it becomes more difficult to see defects. In addition, finding debris in via holes becomes a concern in some applications.
Scope of the Report
The embedded die is described as a passive component or an IC (integrated circuit) that is placed or formed on an inner layer of an organic circuit board, module, or chip package. With an increase in the number of portable electronic devices, a rise in application in healthcare and automotive devices, and advantages over other advanced packaging technologies are driving the market growth.
Key Market Trends
Die in Flexible Board to Occupy Significant Market Share
- With the increased advancement in technology, the product sale value of the printed circuit board is increasing and with the increased adoption of the flexible board in various wearable and IoT devices, the sales are expected to grow higher in the future.
- Stretchable Electronics (SC) is so far commercial and comes in many shapes and forms. The technology uses a standard printed circuit board, mainly a flexible board where liquid injection molding techniques involve elastomer embedded stretchable electronic circuit, which achieves a robust and reliable product. For instance, in military usage, uniforms and armors can have embedded, flexible, lightweight impact sensors that could store and provide better information about the injury sustained during combat.
- These flexible circuit embedded activities are in high trend for implementation in various devices. Recently in Sep 2019, IDEMIA and Zwipe have teamed up on a biometric payment card solution, where their solution will be distinguished by its relatively small number of components, with things like the Secure Element and the microcontroller all embedded in a single chip mounted on a Flexible Printed Circuit Board.
- Autonomous systems for sports applications and healthcare benefit mainly from a small form factor, as minute structure, result in maximal flexibility and comfort. By embedding a commercially available IC in a flexible circuit board (FCB), the overall size of a system can be reduced. The usage of liquid crystal polymer (LCP) as the base material for sensors is highly used in medical products. Miniaturized smart sensor modules for medical applications can be fabricated from LCP substrates using conventional flex circuit thin film and standard assembly processes and equipment.
Americas Account for Significant Market Share
- Countries in the region, such as the United States assist the world in manufacturing, designing, and researching related to the semiconductor industry and the United States is also the frontrunner in semiconductor packaging innovation having 80 wafer fabrication plants spread across 19 states where new technologies are being implemented such as miniaturization through embedded die, etc. Apart from this, investments in this country by global players are set to fuel the market.
- For instance, Intel is enabling Next-Generation Platforms using Intel's 3D system-in-package technology through Embedded Multi-die Interconnect Bridge (EMIB) technology. EMIB technology provides a simple integration flow and offers an ultra-high density interconnect between heterogeneous die in the same package.
- Apart from this, the United States is home to a few of the major automotive players in the world, which are investing in the electric car segment. The embedded systems increase the driving comfort with driver assistance functions like adaptive cruise control. Also to achieve signi?cant energy savings, a distributed embedded control approach becomes necessary to control the power management of the entire vehicle. This is set to increase the demand for embedded die technology.
The embedded die packaging market is fragmented due to the growing number of end-users in automotive, industrial, and consumer electronics. The existing players in the market are striving to maintain a competitive edge by catering to newer technologies, such as 5G telecommunication, high-performance data centers, compact electronic devices, etc. Key players are Microsemi Corporation, Fujikura Ltd, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- Sep 2019 - Achronix Semiconductor Corporation, a leading supplier in FPGA-based hardware accelerator devices and high-performance eFPGA IP, joined the TSMC IP Alliance Program, a key component of TSMC Open Innovation Platform (OIP). Achronix will demonstrate how its Speedcore IP is uniquely sized and optimized for each customer's application in its booth at the TSMC Open Innovation Platform Ecosystem Forum.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Growing Miniaturization of Devices
- 4.2.2 Improved Electrical & Thermal Performance
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Difficulty to Inspect, Test and Rework
- 4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
- 5.1 PCB Miniaturization
- 5.2 Advanced Embedded Active System Integration
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By platform
- 6.1.1 Die in Rigid Board
- 6.1.2 Die in Flexible Board
- 6.1.3 IC Package Substrate
- 6.2 By End-User
- 6.2.1 Consumer Electronics
- 6.2.2 IT & Telecommunications
- 6.2.3 Automotive
- 6.2.4 Healthcare
- 6.2.5 Other End-Users
- 6.3 Geography
- 6.3.1 Americas
- 6.3.2 Europe & MEA
- 6.3.3 Asia-Pacific
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 Microsemi Corporation
- 7.1.2 Fujikura Ltd.
- 7.1.3 Infineon Technologies AG
- 7.1.4 ASE Group
- 7.1.5 AT&S Company
- 7.1.6 Schweizer Electronic AG
- 7.1.7 Intel Corporation
- 7.1.8 Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company
- 7.1.9 TDK Corporation
- 7.1.10 Shinko Electric Industries Co. Ltd.
- 7.1.11 Amkor Technology
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS