Product Code: 66864
The Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 9.6% over the forecast period 2019 - 2024. The increasing popularity of IoT in semiconductors, increasing demand for smart consumer electronics and wearable devices, and growing adoption of automation in industries and homes are some of the significant factors influencing the growth of MEMS market while the highly complex manufacturing process and demanding cycle time, and lack of standardized fabrication process for MEMS is expected to hinder the growth of market.
- The usage of MEMS in electronics such as wearable devices, smartphones, laptops, tablets, digital cameras portable navigation devices & media players, and gaming consoles has been on the rise, over the past few years. Owing to such increasing usage, consumer electronics vertical has accounted for a significant share in 2018 and is expected to maintain the lead during the forecast period.
- The increasing demand for safety & security in the automobiles is one of the major factors, which is impacting the growth of the market positively. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), globally, more than 1.55 million people are killed in road accidents every year, and about 50 million people get injured.
- MEMS sensors can be used extensively for controlling the airbags in the event of a car accident in the automotive industry. Thus, these sensors play a critical role in improving the safety features of the vehicle and act as the catalyst for the growth of the market.
Scope of the Report
The MEMS market is segmented by various types of MEMS, application, and geography. By type, the market studied is segmented into sensors and actuators. The sensors segment is further bifurcated into inertial MEMS, pressure MEMS, microphone, environmental MEMS, and optical MEMS while the actuators segment is bifurcated into RF MEMS, microfluidics, and optical MEMS. By application, the market studied is segmented into automotive, healthcare, industrial, consumer electronics, telecom, and aerospace & defense. The scope of the report covers detailed information pertaining to major factors influencing the MEMS market, such as drivers and restraints. The study of the market also focuses on various trends in the market, such as the increasing popularity of IoT in semiconductors and its effects on the market.
Key Market Trends
Growing Popularity of MEMS Sensors
- Evolution in the MEMS technology has led to a reduction in the size of the sensor, making it efficient, cost-effective, and compatible at the same time. Growing demand for MEMS sensors across industry verticals such as consumer electronics, healthcare, industrial, automotive, among others is driving the growth of the market growth positively.
- The MEMS sensor market is expected to witness increasing popularity as the consumer electronics industry is shifting its focus from traditional sensors to MEMS technology. High adoption of smartphones is also expected to augment the market growth over the forecast period.
- MEMS sensors are also playing a significant role in automotive infotainment and safety applications. Growing safety concern and regularity requirement are anticipated to increase the adoption of MEMS sensor in the automotive sector. The emergence of electric vehicles in the industry has also impacted the demand and distribution of pressure and magnetic sensors. International Energy Agency (IEA) estimated that the number of battery electric vehicles in use has reached 3.3 million units, by 2018.
- Additionally, technological enhancements in the product such as size reduction, high accuracy, and the new application are expected to augment the market over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is expected to Account for the Largest Market Size during the Forecast Period
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the largest market for MEMS owing to the presence of economies such as India and China, along with increasing growth of the consumer electronics and automobile segments.
- Significant demand for smartphones and other consumer electronics devices from countries, such as India, China, the Republic of Korea, and Singapore are encouraging many vendors to set up production establishments in the region. The abundant availability of raw materials and the low establishment and labor costs have also helped companies launch their production centers in the region.
- Moreover, the region has become a global focal point for significant investments and business expansion opportunities in fields like AR, VR, and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Further, China, Japan, and South Korea's aging population are expected to increase the need for healthcare services over the forecast period, thus providing scope for devices, such as ventilators, inhalers, dialysis, and blood pressure monitoring devices, which constitute MEMS pressure sensors. United Nations estimates that the geriatric population in the region, aged 60 years and older, could reach around 606.55 million, by 2020.
- The growing concept of connected cars, electric vehicles, and China's regulations regarding automotive safety are anticipated to drive the adoption of MEMS sensors, thereby driving the growth of the market during the forecast period.
The MEMS market is highly competitive and is currently dominated by a few players in the Asia-Pacific, followed by those in the Americas and Europe. The global market is expected to be consolidated in nature, and the major players with a prominent share in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries by leveraging on strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and their profitability. Broadcom Inc., Robert Bosch GmBH, STMicroelectronics N.V., Texas Instruments Inc., Qorvo Inc., Hewlett Packard, Enterprise Corporation, Knowles Electronics LLC, TDK Corporation, NXP Semiconductors NV, Panasonic Corporation, and GoerTek Inc. are some of the major players present in the current market.
- Jan 2019 - InvenSense, a TDK group company, launched a new line of automotive high-accuracy devices used for improved navigation through tunnels, parking garages, and high-temperature environments. These devices are an extension to the automotive motion sensor solutions already available in the company's portfolio.
- Jul 2018 - STMicroelectronics N.V. introduced the automotive-grade ASM330LHH six-axis inertial sensor for super-high-resolution motion tracking in advanced vehicle navigation and telematics applications.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Introduction to Market Dynamics
- 5.2 Market Drivers
- 5.2.1 Increasing Popularity of IoT in Semiconductors
- 5.2.2 Increasing Demand for Smart Consumer Electronics and Wearable Devices
- 5.2.3 Increasing Adoption of Automation in Industries and Homes
- 5.3 Market Restraints
- 5.3.1 Highly Complex Manufacturing Process and Demanding Cycle Time
- 5.3.2 Lack of Standardized Fabrication Process for MEMS
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By Type
- 6.1.1 Sensors
- 188.8.131.52 Inertial MEMS
- 184.108.40.206 Pressure MEMS
- 220.127.116.11 Microphone
- 18.104.22.168 Environmental MEMS
- 22.214.171.124 Optical MEMS
- 6.1.2 Actuators
- 126.96.36.199 RF MEMS
- 188.8.131.52 Microfluidics
- 184.108.40.206 Optical MEMS
- 6.2 By Application
- 6.2.1 Automotive
- 6.2.2 Healthcare
- 6.2.3 Industrial
- 6.2.4 Consumer Electronics
- 6.2.5 Telecom
- 6.2.6 Aerospace & Defense
- 6.3 Geography
- 6.3.1 North America
- 6.3.2 Europe
- 6.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.3.4 Rest of the World
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Relative Positioning of MEMS Vendors
- 7.2 Relative Positioning of MEMS Foundry
- 7.3 Company Profiles
- 7.3.1 Broadcom Inc.
- 7.3.2 Robert Bosch GmBH
- 7.3.3 STMicroelectronics N.V.
- 7.3.4 Texas Instruments Inc.
- 7.3.5 Qorvo Inc.
- 7.3.6 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Corporation
- 7.3.7 Knowles Electronics LLC
- 7.3.8 TDK Corporation
- 7.3.9 NXP Semiconductors NV
- 7.3.10 Panasonic Corporation
- 7.3.11 GoerTek Inc.
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS