Product Code: 66836
The hybrid additive manufacturing machine market is expected to register a CAGR of 21% in the forecast period (2019 - 2024). The process of hybrid manufacturing includes combining both additive and subtractive processes into a single machine. The integration of both the processes into a single machine is majorly driving the market, especially across aerospace, defense and automotive industries. It makes manufacturing effortless with the capability to switch between two processes instantly. Although the technology is relatively new, yet, much like 3D printing, the potential benefits of hybrid additive manufacturing have made the adopters of the technology very optimistic about the technology's prospects.
- Hybrid manufacturing also produces parts as and when needed, removing the need for costly, space-consuming inventory. With hybrid additive manufacturing, manufacturers can produce custom material, rapid prototypes, and provide an opportunity for new products and better efficiency.
- Moreover, the deployment of this equipment in various industries aids in the reduction of adverse environmental impacts. The hybrid production processes release lesser chemical & hazardous pollutants and account for a major reduction in the carbon footprint.
- Further, hybrid additive manufacturing reduces the drawbacks of the additive manufacturing system because it is built on multi-axis systems, which allow the production of parts to move in any direction. Also, 95% waste reduction, better efficiency, capabilities for process development and material characterization, and material and material cost savings, etc. are some of the major benefits which are further augmenting the adoption of hybrid additive manufacturing machines across sectors.
- However, high initial investments and installation costs associated with these machines are hindering the market growth. Further, the SMEs and manufacturing companies with low investment capabilities are unable to deploy the machinery due to the high initial investment costs.
- Additionally, the machines require skilled and well-trained labor to operate these machines. To maintain equipment performance and eliminate system breakage issues, companies need to incur huge costs to provide professional training sessions for workers.
Scope of the Report
Additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, is an automated process used to create rapid prototypes and functional end-use parts. It takes virtual designs from Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software and transforms them into thin, virtual, horizontal layer-wise cross-sections until the model is complete. Hybrid additive manufacturing is a combination of additive processes and subtractive processes. This integration helps to use different processes simultaneously on the same machine. Machines that have both additive and subtractive tools such as CNC tools integrated are considered in the scope.
Key Market Trends
Medical Sector Expected to Hold a Significant Share
The medical sector holds a significant share in the hybrid additive manufacturing machine market in terms of the rate of deployment. The benefits of hybrid manufacturing in the medical sector are because of the option to customize parts rather than using pre-made titanium pieces. In the medical industry, hybrid manufacturing is used in making end-products such as surgical equipment, prosthetics & implants, and scaffolds.
- The use of the hybrid additive manufacturing market in the medical sector is growing majorly due to the rising incidences of surgeries, coupled with the increasing awareness and adoption of the advancements in medical technology. For instance, the widespread use of surgical robots in the medical industry is giving rise to automation in the industry, hence driving the need for hybrid manufacturing in the industry.
- Further, the major benefits of hybrid manufacturing over traditional manufacturing in the medical industry are, short product development time, better patient recovery, development of patient or surgeon specific products, low manufacturing costs, and better accuracy.
- Also, traditionally, the additive manufacturing process in the medical field was considered as a technique used solely to produce prototypes or models. However, with the development of advanced technologies and biocompatible materials, the market has grown in the adoption of hybrid manufacturing as the major process.
- Also, with a splurge in digitization, everything including 3D printing is happening online. 3D files can be kept on an online platform, which is easily accessible to the clients or distributors everywhere and at any time to order on demand. According to the trends, 3D printing for medical devices seems optimistic. Such practices are further expected to augment the market demand in the industry, because it helps the medical practitioners repeat the operation, to reduce the time of the surgery and limit the decision-making time. However, the high cost of hybrid additive manufacturing machines is expected to hamper the market.
North America to Hold a Major Share
- The North America region is expected to hold a major share in the hybrid additive-manufacturing machines market in terms of revenue, owing to the presence of several major players and relatively higher consumption of hybrid manufacturing machines across all industry verticals.
- However, the adoption of advanced technologies in the medical field is gaining momentum at a fast pace in the region due to growing educational awareness efforts of industry players among physicians and patients.
- Also, North America has been the early adopter of advanced medical technologies. Moreover, the increasing healthcare expenditure, high disposable incomes, low cost of manufacturing, rapid product development, growing surgical procedures in lieu of medical tourism, have amplified interest of market players.
- Furthermore, the continuous expansion of the aerospace & automotive industry in the U.S. is driving industry development at a rapid pace. The rising awareness of hybrid manufacturing machines that offer efficient production capabilities is driving the overall industry demand.
The competitive landscape of the hybrid additive manufacturing machine market is moderately concentrated, due to the presence of major vendors providing the machines and equipment used for hybrid manufacturing, and these vendors hold the majority market share.
The companies providing hybrid manufacturing machines adopt various strategies, such as new product development, innovations, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and collaborations, to sustain in the highly competitive industry and to enhance their hybrid additive-manufacturing machines offerings worldwide.
Moreover, major players in the hybrid manufacturing machine market are focusing on innovation and development of technologically advanced and cost-effective equipment so that they are affordable and hence applicable to a majority of industries and not just large industries.
- February 2019 - The Large Additive Subtractive Integrated Modular Machine (LASIMM) project (funded by the European Horizon 2020) announced the development and availability of LASIMM manufacturing machines. This equipment was constructed for producing construction structures using the hybrid additive manufacturing technology.
- September 2018 - Optomec announced a new line of hybrid metal 3D printers, the large format Machine Tool Series of LENS systems. LENS is Optomec's metal 3D printing process, which is a bit different from the more common powder bed-laser approach.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increased Adoption of Advanced Technologies
- 4.3.2 Rapid Product Development at Low Cost
- 4.3.3 Ease of Development of Customized Products
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 High Installation and Training Costs
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.7 Technology Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By End-user Industry
- 5.1.1 Aerospace & Defense
- 5.1.2 Energy & Power
- 5.1.3 Electronics
- 5.1.4 Medical
- 5.1.5 Automotive
- 5.1.6 Other End-user Industries
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Optomec, Inc.
- 6.1.2 Mazak Corporation
- 6.1.3 DMG MORI
- 6.1.4 Matsuura Machinery Ltd.
- 6.1.5 Hybrid Manufacturing technologies
- 6.1.6 ELB-SCHLIFF Werkzeugmaschinen GmbH
- 6.1.7 Mitsui Seiki, Inc.
- 6.1.8 Okuma America Corporation
- 6.1.9 Diversified Machine Systems
- 6.1.10 Fabrisonic
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS