Product Code: 66072
The market for calcium oxide is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period. Calcium Oxide, also known as Quicklime, consists primarily of oxides of calcium and magnesium. Quicklime is available in a number of sizes - ranging from lump and pebble lime to granular and pulverized lime.
- Demand from the steel industry is empowering the demand for lime in the market. Emerging use for lime in electric arc furnaces, AOD converters, and in refining ladles is driving the demand for calcium oxide in steel-making. It is used in steelmaking as a purifying agent to eliminate impurities and for removing sulfur and phosphorus.
- Calcium Oxide has a hazardous impact on health. It reacts vigorously with water, which can lead to severe irritation when inhaled or when coming in contact with skin and eyes. Moreover, in extreme cases, quicklime exposure can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and nausea. When reacted with water, it can release enough heat to ignite combustible materials. Hence, their production has to be carefully observed and also has to conform to various environmental regulations, which may act as a restraining factor in the market.
- Growing demand for the biofuel industry is expected to provide an opportunity for the market for calcium oxide. This is expected to impact the increase in usage of calcium oxide as a solid heterogeneous catalyst for the preparation of biodiesel from palm oil.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Metallurgical Industry
- The ability of calcium oxide to react with silicates and other materials to form solutions makes it applicable to numerous processes. Manufacturers in the steel and metallurgical industries are the leading consumers of calcium oxide, as they use it for melting and purification of other metals.
- In steel manufacturing, calcium oxide is used as a clinker agent, to eliminate impurities existing in metal parts. The addition of calcium oxide is necessary for electric arc furnaces, AOD converters, and in refining ladles. It has other utilities in the metallurgical industry as a corrosion protector and as a neutralizer of acids. Further, calcium oxide is also used in the production of copper, lead, zinc, silver, nickel, gold, uranium, etc. to segregate impurities by means of floatation of different metallic salts.
- Asia-Pacific is the major consumer of calcium oxide, dominated by China. North America, dominated by the United States, too has a significant position in the market. In the United States, the metallurgical industry is considered as the leading application for the calcium oxide market, where it is used as fluxes in iron and steel furnaces. Around 35% of calcium oxide produced in the United States is used for the metallurgical application.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the global market, during the forecast period.
United States to Dominate the North America Region
- The United States is the fourth-largest producer of crude steel in the world, with more than 100 production plants in the country. The production levels declined by a very low margin, which recovered post 2016, by reaching a volume of 87 million metric ton.
- The US population is expected to grow from 321.2 billion to 338 billion. This, in turn, cerates an increased demand for residential housing, which is further expected to escalate residential constructions.
- Commercial construction is also expected to increase, with more consumer expenditure and governmental investments in tourism, office buildings, and retail spaces.
- Calcium oxide is a versatile material in the construction of buildings. It can be used in the construction of masonry systems as a component of mortar. Exterior (stucco) and interior plaster systems can also contain calcium oxide. As an additive in asphalt, calcium oxide improves the cohesion of asphalt, reduces stripping, and retards the aging process.
- The recovering residential sector and the increasing infrastructure development projects in the country are the factors that are driving the production of cement in the country. This factor, in turn, is expected to boost the demand for the refractories in the country. Some of the major cement producers in the country are - CRH PLC, Cemex, LafargeHolcim, Lehigh Hanson, Argos USA Corporation, Ash Grove Cement Company, and Buzzi Unicem, among others.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to boost the demand for polyolefin catalysts, like calcium oxide, during the forecast period.
The calcium oxide market is mostly fragmented. Key players in the calcium oxide market include Merck KGaA, Carmeuse, Graymont, Lhoist, Mississippi Lime, Minerals Technologies, CAO Industries Sdn Bhd, Calchem, AKJ Minchem Private Limited, American Elements, and Sibelco, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Steel Production Across the World
- 4.1.2 Growing Construction and Infrastructural Developments
- 4.1.3 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Stringent Environmental Production Hampering the Production of Calcium Oxide
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 End-user Industry
- 5.1.1 Metallurgical
- 5.1.2 Construction
- 5.1.3 Fertilizer and Chemicals
- 5.1.4 Pulp and Paper
- 5.1.5 Refractory
- 5.1.6 Other End-user Industries (Rubber, Food and Beverages, etc.)
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 184.108.40.206 Canada
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
- 126.96.36.199 Italy
- 188.8.131.52 France
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 220.127.116.11 Brazil
- 18.104.22.168 Argentina
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
- 5.2.5 Middle East & Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
- 188.8.131.52 South Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle east & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Carmeuse
- 6.4.2 Graymont Limited
- 6.4.3 Lhoist
- 6.4.4 Mississippi Lime
- 6.4.5 Minerals Technologies Inc.
- 6.4.6 CAO Industries Sdn Bhd
- 6.4.7 AKJ Minchem Private Limited
- 6.4.8 Astrra Chemicals
- 6.4.9 Sigma Minerals Ltd
- 6.4.10 Sibelco
- 6.4.11 American Elements
- 6.4.12 Graymont Limited
- 6.4.13 Carmeuse
- 6.4.14 American Elements
- 6.4.15 CAO Industries Sdn Bhd
- 6.4.16 Mississippi Lime
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Emerging use of Calcium Oxide as a Catalyst for Biodiesel Production from Palm Oil
- 7.2 Augmenting Usage of Calcium Oxide in Animal Waste Treatment