Product Code: 66419
The global gallium arsenide (GaAs) wafer market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.5% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). GaAs wafers are preferred over silicon and other compound semiconductor devices because of better functionality, scalability, and compatibility with the IoT network. It provides better network connectivity by allowing better data transmission and also have superior quality as compared to other semiconductor-based devices and can be produced on a large scale with high yield rate.
- The significant growth drivers for this market are increasing adoption of smartphones and growing penetration of light emitting diode (LED) in general lighting. The advent of IoT has been one of the major reasons responsible for the growing trend of the market. The technology has given rise to a demand for high-frequency communication devices made with GaAs based ICs.
- Also, with several companies expanding their communication infrastructure, the demand for GaAs based devices is going to increase, which in turn will trigger the growth of the GaAs wafers market in the forthcoming years. The demand for GaAs devices across various end-user industries such as aerospace & defense, electronics, and communications is increasing which, in turn, is boosting the demand for GaAs Wafers globally.
- Further, another key factor driving the growth of the GaAs wafer market includes increasing adoption of 4G and 5G networks across the world. However, the restraining factor affecting the GaAs wafer market include its high production cost.
Key Market Trends
Radio Frequency Electronics to Hold the Significant Share in the Market
- The radio-frequency devices produced with GaAs substrates are commonly used in wireless communication applications, including wireless networks (WLAN), mobile communication, 4G/5G base stations, satellite communications, and Wi-Fi communications. The trend marks an important milestone in the development of next-generation, high-performance, ultra-compact RF front-end chipsets that are needed for 4G and 5G smartphones and other handsets.
- The rising internet penetration across the world, especially in developing countries such as India and Brazil, has stimulated the demand for GaAs wafers. Subsequently, the demand for backhaul, base stations, and fiber-optic networks in wireless communication infrastructure and Wi-Fi connectivity products have escalated and hence support the growing penetration of the internet worldwide, which, in turn, is boosting the adoption of GaAs wafers.
- Further, the growth of mobile data and the wide adoption of IoT is propelling the requirement of Wi-Fi and other wireless communication devices. The high growth rates for such technologies and other products related to wireless communications are aiding the adoption of GaAs wafers. Hence, the demand for GaAs wafers for wireless communications networks will continue to increase during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market During the Forecast Period
- Asia-Pacific dominates the global GaAs wafer market owing to a large population and the rising smartphone penetration in the region. Countries such as China, Japan, and India dominate the market in this region.
- One of the major driving factor in this region is the increasing demand for advanced technological devices such as smart devices, smartphones, computers, and laptops, the demand for GaAs wafers in the region is growing at a promising rate.
- China dominates the market for the electronics industry. There is considerable government support in this region which is fostering the market growth. For instance, the Chinese government is promoting its domestic technology market by funding the industry players. The need for safe, reliable, and clean energy source in various countries is likely to increase the demand for the solar cell, which in turn help the market of GaAs wafer to develop.
The global gallium arsenide (GaAs) wafers market is highly concentrated with few companies dominating the market share. The already established companies are strengthening their position by investing heavily in research and development and providing customers with better and technologically advanced products.
- October 2019 - PAM-XIAMEN develops advanced crystal growth and epitaxy technologies, range from the first generation Germanium wafer, second-generation Gallium Arsenide with substrate growth and epitaxy on III-V silicon doped n-type semiconductor materials based on Ga, Al, In, As and P grown by MBE or MOCVD, to the third generation Silicon carbide and Gallium Nitride for LED and power device application.
- February 2019 - Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. and Optoscribe, a Scottish-based major supplier of 3D glass-based integrated photonic components, entered into a strategic cooperation to provide multicore fiber (MCF) components for datacom and telecom applications. This strategic cooperation will seed the market for practical use cases of Sumitomo Electric's MCF interconnects which is especially true for 4 core or greater MCF with fan-in / fan-out components based on 3D glass-based photonic circuits technology in datacom applications where ultra-high density optical interconnect is required.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Increasing Adoption Of 5G Infrastructure Across The World
- 4.2.2 Surging Demand for Opto-electronic Devices
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 High Production Cost
- 4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.5 Technology Snapshot
- 4.5.1 Liquid Encapsulated Czochralski (LEC) Grown GaAs
- 4.5.2 Vertical Gradient Freeze (VGF) Grown GaAs
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Radio Frequency Electronics
- 5.1.2 Light Emitting Diodes
- 5.1.3 Photovoltaic Devices
- 5.1.4 Phototonic Devices
- 5.1.5 Other Applications
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 United States
- 5.2.2 Taiwan
- 5.2.3 China
- 5.2.4 Japan
- 5.2.5 United Kingdom
- 5.2.6 Germany
- 5.2.7 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Semiconductor Wafer Inc
- 6.1.2 AXT Inc.
- 6.1.3 Freiberger Compound Materials GmbH
- 6.1.4 Xiamen Powerway Advanced Material Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.5 Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd.
- 6.1.6 Wafer Technology Ltd.
- 6.1.7 MTI Corporation
- 6.1.8 Vital Materials Co Limited
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS