Product Code: 65351
The thermal management technologies market was valued at USD 10.98 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 17.08 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 7.68% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The electronic packaging trend has resulted in increased performance and a reduction in product sizing. This has led to a significant increase in power consumption, which, in turn, demands thermal management for good system performance and reliability by removing high heat flux generated in the electronic devices.
- In the current market scenario, thermal management technologies are evolving rapidly, especially in consumer electronics, due to greater processing capacity. For instance, consider the case of liquid cooling hardware. Previously, liquid cooling technology was limited to high capacity computing hardware. However, in recent times, several smartphones are being equipped with such thermal management technologies.
- Manufacturers such as Samsung and Xiaomi have started showing interest in the adoption of passive cooling technology on their devices, especially smartphones. Thus thermal component makers for these companies are building up their production capacities. For instance, In May 2020, Realme X50 Pro Player Edition launched as a cheaper version of Realme X50 Pro. It features a vapor chamber and a multilayer solid graphite for thermal management.
- The growth in thermal management technologies can be attributed to the increasing implementation of interfaces in the automated assembly. These interfaces are regarded as the key heat dissipation offerings for portable and compact electronic devices.
- Also, the increasing adoption of renewable energy resources is the major factor driving the thermal energy storage market. In addition to this, the rapid industrialization across the world has increased the need for continuous power supply, which positively leads to the growth of the overall thermal energy storage market during the forecast period.
- However, the design complexities in components used in thermal management, specifically in electronic devices, due to the use of various transistors, are restraining the growth of the market. Moreover, the spread of COVID-19 has also negatively affected the overall market. This is because of the global shutdown of factories and industrial facilities to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. There has been almost zero growth in consumer electronics and automobile industry, leading to less than expected demand for thermal management technologies.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Consumer Electronics will Enhance the Market Growth
- Due to developments in the electronics industry, the introduction of smaller and smarter products are increasing. These advancements in the industry have led to an increased need for innovative thermal management technologies to improve system performance and reliability by eliminating the heat generated by devices.
- The smartphone and tablet material market has witnessed considerable growth in the past decade. Due to the sensitivity toward weight and costs, the said market is expected to mostly rely on advanced materials for cooling solutions rather than secondary heat sinks.
- The chip-cooling solutions have evolved over the past few years to accommodate the increase in heat flux in electronic devices. Manufacturers are working on the development of advanced cooling solutions based on multi-phase heat transfer technologies through the development of advanced solutions such as nanotechnology and smart materials.
- Due to the increasing growth rate of consumer electronics in the United States, Artificial intelligence (AI) and fast connectivity have become critical ingredients for the next era of leaders in the smartphone, smart home device, and smart speaker categories. This is expected to drive the thermal management technologies market. Convection cooling devices are widely used in electronic circuits and printed circuit boards (PCBs). This has resulted in the growth of the thermal management device market. Thus, these devices help lower the peak temperature of the systems with natural and forced convection cooling technologies.
North America to Hold Major Share
- The North American region is expected to account for the largest market share, attributed to the increasing investments for the technological solutions, adoption of the thermal management technologies by various domains, and low operational cost. Some of the prominent players in the thermal management technologies, such as Parker-Hannifin Corp, Advanced Cooling Technologies Inc., Honeywell International Inc., and Gentherm Inc., are headquartered in this region
- Increasing the adoption of renewable energy resources is the primary factor driving the thermal energy storage market. Installations of concentrated solar power plants with thermal energy storage technologies are expected to fuel the growth of the market studied in this region. For instance, in August 2019, Canada's largest solar project, the Travers Solar project, got approval from the Alberta Utilities Commission for its construction and operation.
- Further, the hype for electric vehicles is due to increased awareness about the advantages of electric vehicles, such as increased battery capacity, developing charging infrastructure, and consumer preference for electric vehicles, propelling the adoption of electric vehicles.
- However, due to the spread of the coronavirus, the automobile industry is heavily impacted due to the closing of borders and global lockdown. With the economy headed for recession and the price of oil reaching historic lows, more significant challenges could lie ahead for the EV industry in the region, which would negatively impact the market studied.
The thermal management technologies market is highly fragmented, with no player accounting for a significant market share. Also, the number of local players is increasing in this market, resulting in increasing competition. Key players are Parker Hannifin Corporation, Advanced Cooling Technologies, Inc., Honeywell International Inc., etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- February 2020 -- Honeywell International Inc launched Solstice E-Cooling, which uses a two-phase liquid cooling process to remove heat from electronic applications while reducing environmental impact. It is also a dielectric solution, serving as an electrical insulator for equipment to prevent damage from contact with fluids.
- April 2019 -- Gentherm, the global market leader and developer of innovative thermal management technologies, was recognized as a 2019 Automotive News PACE Award winner for its battery thermal management (BTM) system. The prestigious PACE Award recognizes automotive suppliers for superior innovation, technological advancement, and business performance. This enables better battery performance in extreme conditions and prolongs the life of the vehicle's battery.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increase in Vehicle Energy Efficiency and Performance
- 4.3.2 Thermal Management Technology Proliferation
- 4.4 Market Challenges
- 4.4.1 Design Complexities in Components
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Assessment of COVID-19 impact on the industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Product Type
- 5.1.1 Software
- 5.1.2 Hardware
- 5.1.3 Substrate
- 5.1.4 Interface
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Computers
- 5.2.2 Consumer Electronics
- 5.2.3 Automotive Electronics
- 5.2.4 Telecommunication
- 5.2.5 Renewable Energy
- 5.2.6 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Parker-Hannifin Corp.
- 6.1.2 Advanced Cooling Technologies Inc.
- 6.1.3 Honeywell International Inc.
- 6.1.4 Gentherm Inc.
- 6.1.5 Autoneum Holding AG
- 6.1.6 Sapa Extrusions Inc.
- 6.1.7 AllCell Technologies
- 6.1.8 Thermacore Inc.
- 6.1.9 Laird Technologies Inc.
- 6.1.10 Pentair Thermal Management
- 6.1.11 Outlast Technologies LLC
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET