Product Code: 47142
The point of sale terminal market was valued at USD 64.38 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 151.72 billion by 2024, witnessing a CAGR of 16.21% during the forecast period of 2019-2024. With an increasing concentration of businesses and growing customer frequency, businesses are looking for technologies that streamline processes and integrate into a single contact point. Point-of-sale systems are the final contact point of businesses that are employed to handle checkouts and payments.
- Modern POS systems integrate multiple systems into a single terminal, to handle a range of operations, including billing, cash collection, card payments, printing, data analysis, etc. Innovations in technology have led to advancements in these systems, namely MPOS and automated POS systems, which completely automate the checkout processes.
- The POS market is driven by innovations leading to an increase in the adoption across various industries such as hospitality, entertainment, and restaurants. Manufacturers are investing in R&D to develop innovative solutions for the healthcare and retail industry, that will help increase profitability. For, instance, in may, 2018, Paytm plan to invest around USD 30 million for installing POS devices across one lakh retail outlets. This lead to drive the market and increases demand.
- Lower maintenance cost, accurate transaction and real-time inventory are key advantages of the POS systems. Moreover, increased in the smartphone is making the online transaction easier to use and with a wide range of services and offers it is attracting the more customer base.
Scope of the Report
Point of sale is the time and location where a transaction is completed. A POS system is computer hardware and software, that manages the transaction during the sale of a product or a service. It helps to store, capture, share, and report data related to the sales transaction. It eases the shopping experience and helps to expedite the checkout process, resulting in customer satisfaction. Inventory management, stock in hand, availability of a product, and pricing information are major data that are acquired from the systems.
Key Market Trends
Ease of Use and Increased Efficiency Driving the Growth of Point of Sale Terminals Market
- Point-of-sale systems have emerged as a reliable alternative to traditional cash registry systems. These systems give merchants multiple capabilities, such as tracking of sales, faster checkouts, easy forwarding of orders, monitoring the inventory, secure payments, etc.
- These features enable merchants to increase productivity, and subsequently, sales. The new generation systems need minimal interaction from a technician to install the systems, as these devices with plug-and-play capabilities are being deployed with most of the pre-installed software components.
- This eliminates the hassles of setting up the system for users and thus makes it easy for small and medium merchants to adopt these systems. Thus, the ease of use offered by the systems and increased efficiency are driving the growth of these systems across the globe.
- Moreover, debit card, credit card, and e-wallet will completely change the dynamics of POS payment in the subsequent year replacing the cash payment at POS terminals. This is due to a surge in online payments, and growing adaption among people.
North America to Dominate the Point of Sale Terminals Market
- North America is the largest segment of the market studied. The significant share of the region can be primarily attributed to the adoption of POS terminals across various industries, particularly retail, entertainment, and healthcare.
- The United States is a major segment in the global and North American POS terminal markets. For several years, various types of POS terminals are being used in outlets in the country, thus boosting the need for replacement with updated technologies.
- The emergence of POS terminals would go a long way in bolstering the regional market. The increased competitiveness among the vendors and manufacturers is expected to bring about interesting growth prospects in the world of automation.
- North America is coveted for its consumer spending power and will continue to present a highly competitive and lucrative market.
The point of sale terminals market is highly fragmented with the presence of a large number of players that occupy around half of the market share. Moreover, these players are investing large amounts of money on R&D activities to introduce innovative payment technologies in the market. Strict government regulations & policies in several countries will drive the market making it more attractive and competitive. Some of the key players in the market include Cisco Sysems Inc., Toshiba Corporation, VeriFone System Inc., Samsung Electronics Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Panasonic Corporation, NEC Corporation, Dell Inc., among others.
- January 2019 - Toshiba has announced that it will be integrating its TCx 300 point-of-sale (POS) systems at all of the Massachusetts locations for grocery store chain Roche Bros.Family-owned and Massachusetts-based Roche Bros. has more than 4,800 associates in its 20 Roche Bros., Sudbury Farms and Brothers Marketplace grocery stores.
- January 2019 - In a move to target small and medium-sized businesses and hospitality companies, HP has announced it has teamed up with PayPal to release what it calls an "all-in-one" point of sale (POS) unit, with PayPal handling the payment processing and other financial-related services.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Ease of Use and Increased Efficiency
- 4.3.2 High Returns on Investments
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Rising Security Concerns
- 4.5 Market Opportunities
- 4.5.1 Growth of MPOS Systems in Developing Economies
- 4.6 Technology Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Component
- 5.1.1 Hardware
- 5.1.2 Software
- 5.1.3 Services
- 5.2 By Type
- 5.2.1 Fixed Point-of-sale Terminals
- 5.2.2 Mobile Point-of-sale Terminals
- 5.3 By Application
- 5.3.1 Entertainment
- 5.3.2 Hospitality
- 5.3.3 Healthcare
- 5.3.4 Retail
- 5.3.5 Other Applications
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 Latin America
- 5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Cisco Systems Inc.
- 6.1.2 Toshiba Corporation
- 6.1.3 VeriFone System Inc. (Francisco Partners)
- 6.1.4 Samsung Electronics Inc.
- 6.1.5 MICROS Systems Inc. (Oracle)
- 6.1.6 Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- 6.1.7 Ingenico SA
- 6.1.8 NEC Corporation
- 6.1.9 Panasonic Corporation
- 6.1.10 PAX Technology
- 6.1.11 Dell Inc.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS