Product Code: 61909
The nano cellulose market is anticipated to register a CAGR of more than 18% during the forecast period, 2019-2024. Major factors driving the growth of the market studied are the increasing technological advancements in the food packaging industry and the improved VOC emissions in paints and coatings.
- Nanocellulose is required in a number of industries, owing to its mechanical, thermal, and structural properties. The demand for nanocellulose has witnessed a rapid increase from the paints and coatings, oil and gas, and food and beverage industries.
- Production cost/kilogram of nanocellulose is much higher than that of carbon fiber and dearth of consumer awareness are likely to hinder the market's growth.
- Owing to its versatility, biodegradability, low toxicity, and carbon-neutrality, nanocellulose has gained a vast interest in the production of advanced materials. This is projected to act as an opportunity for the market in future.
Key Market Trends
Paper Processing is Expected to Witness Higher Growth
- As cellulose is an organic compound obtained from wood pulp, it has a major application base in paper processing. Additionally, nano cellulose allows producers to increase the usage of mineral filler during production of paper.
- The demand for nanocellulose paper from the electronics sector has also witnessed an increase. This is owing to the properties offered by nanocellulose, which include optical, cost-efficient, light-weight, biodegradable, and recyclability. The growth of electronics industry is likely to ramp up the demand for nanocellulose paper in the coming years.
- The demand for paper has been at a rise, majorly owing to the demand from the developing countries, such as India, China, Thailand, and Vietnam. The increase in the number of school-going children, rising literacy, increasing documentation, and expansion of organized retail business in these countries have created a spur in the demand for paper, which in turn, is boosting the demand for nanocellulose from the paper processing sector.
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific nanocellulose market is witnessing a robust growth, owing to the increasing automotive and paper production in countries, including China, India, Japan, and South Korea.
- China is the largest country in the paper industry across the world, both in terms of production and consumption. The domestic paper sector in the country is growing, owing to the steady rising prices, increasing demand, and rising exports.
- Moreover, China has the world's largest automotive market, in terms of production. According to the OICA, automotive production in China reached 27,809,196 vehicles in 2018. Currently, many OEM manufacturers are introducing hybrid body structures, which incorporate plastic and composite materials in combination with the traditional steel and light alloy components.
- Additionally, growth in manufacturing activities in the aerospace industry is driving the demand for nanocellulose composites in China.
- In South Korea, the government is taking initiatives to increase the aerospace production in the country by investing around USD 20 billion by 2020. Moreover, the government is planning to increase the domestic maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) operations, which may further drive the aerospace sector.
- Such factors are expected to drive the market for nanocellulose in the Asia-Pacific region.
The nanocellulose market is consolidated. Few of the major players dominate the market, in terms of various products. Key players in the nanocellulose market include CelluForce, American Process Inc., Melodea Ltd, American Process Inc., Chuetsu Pulp and Paper, Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd, and Borregaard, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Technological Advancements in Various End-user Industries
- 4.1.2 Superior Properties of Cellulose Nanofibers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Economic Barriers Hindering the Market Growth
- 4.2.2 Dearth of Consumer Awareness
- 4.2.3 Other Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Product Type
- 5.1.1 Nanofibrillated Cellulose (NFC)
- 5.1.2 Nanocrystalline Cellulose (NCC)
- 5.1.3 Bacterial Cellulose
- 5.1.4 Microfibrillated Cellulose (MFC)
- 5.1.5 Other Product Types
- 5.2 End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Paper Processing
- 5.2.2 Paints and Coatings
- 5.2.3 Oil and Gas
- 5.2.4 Textile
- 5.2.5 Food and Beverage
- 5.2.6 Composites
- 5.2.7 Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics
- 5.2.8 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 220.127.116.11 China
- 18.104.22.168 India
- 22.214.171.124 Japan
- 126.96.36.199 South Korea
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 184.108.40.206 United States
- 220.127.116.11 Canada
- 18.104.22.168 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 22.214.171.124 Germany
- 126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
- 188.8.131.52 Nordic Countries
- 184.108.40.206 France
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 Rest of World
- 18.104.22.168 Brazil
- 22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
- 126.96.36.199 South Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Other Countries
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 American Process Inc.
- 6.4.2 Axcelon Biopolymers Corporation
- 6.4.3 Borregaard
- 6.4.4 CelluComp
- 6.4.5 CelluForce
- 6.4.6 Chuetsu Pulp and Paper
- 6.4.7 Daicel FineChem Ltd
- 6.4.8 Fiberlean Technologies
- 6.4.9 Melodea Ltd
- 6.4.10 Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd
- 6.4.11 Norske Skog AS
- 6.4.12 Oji Holdings Corporation
- 6.4.13 RISE INNVENTIA AB
- 6.4.14 Sappi Ltd
- 6.4.15 University of Maine
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS