Product Code: 62914
The Silicon Carbide (SiC) Power Semiconductor market is expected to register a CAGR of over 28% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). The increase in the trend of consumer electronics usage will drive the silicon carbide power semiconductor market in the forecast period.
- While conventional materials, such as silicon and gallium arsenide have been in the market for semiconductors from the 1970s, wide or high bandgap materials, such as aluminium nitride, gallium nitride, boron nitride, diamond, and silicon carbide have made their way in high-temperature and power switching applications.
- As SiC is used for high power applications due to the wide bandgap, semiconductors employ SiC for reduced energy loss and longer life solar and wind energy power converters.
- Owing to this, the US Department of Energy's (DOE) Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) announced USD 30 million in funding for 21 innovative projects as part of the Creating Innovative and Reliable Circuits Using Inventive Topologies and Semiconductors (CIRCUITS) program.
- To meet the customer expectations with these electric vehicles (EVs), such as range, charge-time, and performance, they require power electronic devices capable of efficient and effective operation at elevated temperatures. Hence, power modules are being developed using wide bandgap SiC technologies.
- Since the use of SiC power semiconductor has been increased drastically these this a shortage of silicon wafers globally, which can be a challenge for the SiC power semiconductor market in the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
SiC (silicon carbide) is a compound semiconductor composed of silicon and carbide. SiC provides a number of advantages over silicon, including 10x the breakdown electric field strength, 3x the band gap, and enabling a wider range of p- and n-type control required for device construction.
Key Market Trends
Power Integrated Circuits to Grow at a Significant Rate
- The power industry is one of the significant markets for SiC power semiconductors especially due to their high efficiency at low power. The growing adoption of solar power, which has long sold silicon carbide diodes to pair with silicon switches, is not only saving energy consumption but with small size, it is inventing many new applications too.
- The growing adoption of solar power is also playing a vital factor in the growth of SiC power semiconductors. For instance, in March 2018, Saudi Arabia and Japanese SoftBank signed a non-binding MoU to build the world's largest photovoltaic (PV) solar project by 2030.
- Furthermore, the growing government involvement in promoting automation in the power industry would develop the market for SiC semiconductors too. For instance, in August 2018, California passed a bill to extend USD 800 million in incentives for behind-the-meter batteries.
Asia-Pacific Will Grow Significantly Over the Forecast Period
- Asia-Pacific is dominating the global SiC power semiconductor market mainly as the region is dominating the global semiconductor market, which is further supported by government policies. Also, the region is the largest producer and consumer of consumer electronics and the demand for smart consumer electronic products is exponentially growing in the region.
- The region is also a huge market for renewable power energy, especially solar and wind. The national governments, especially in Southeast Asia are also playing a vital role in the adoption of solar infrastructure in the region. Growing government support is also attracting many foreign players in the region.
- Both power and automotive are major end-user industries for SiC power semiconductors. Hence, the growing advancement in the region is also fueling the innovation, which is further helping in the development of the regional SiC power semiconductor market.
The major players include Infineon technologies AG, Texas Instruments Inc., ST Microelectronics N.V, Hitachi Power Semiconductor Device, Ltd., NXP semiconductor, Fuji Electric Co. Ltd., Semikron International GmbH, Cree Inc., ON Semiconductor Corporation, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, and others. With several vendors offering these sensors and engaged in advancing them, the market competition is high.
- January 2019 - Infineon Technologies AG, addressing the fast-growing demand for SiC solutions, Infineon Technologies extended its portfolio of CoolSiC MOSFET power modules for UPS and energy storage applications. It launched new devices in the 1200V CoolSiC MOSFET family. The CoolSiC Easy 2B power modules enable engineers to reduce system costs by increasing power density.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increase in the Demand for Consumer Electronics and Wireless Communications
- 4.3.2 Growing Demand for Energy-Efficient Battery-Powered Portable Devices
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Silicon Wafer Shortages Globally
- 4.5 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By End-user Industry
- 6.1.1 Automotive
- 6.1.2 Consumer Electronics
- 6.1.3 IT and Telecommunication
- 6.1.4 Military and Aerospace
- 6.1.5 Power
- 6.1.6 Industrial
- 6.1.7 Other End-user Industries
- 6.2 Geography
- 6.2.1 North America
- 6.2.2 Europe
- 6.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.2.4 Rest of the World
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 Infineon technologies AG
- 7.1.2 Texas instruments Inc.
- 7.1.3 ST Microelectronics N.V
- 7.1.4 NXP semiconductor
- 7.1.5 ON Semiconductor Corporation
- 7.1.6 Renesas electronic corporation
- 7.1.7 Broadcom limited
- 7.1.8 Hitachi Power Semiconductor Device Ltd
- 7.1.9 Toshiba Corporation
- 7.1.10 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- 7.1.11 Fuji Electric Co. Ltd
- 7.1.12 Semikron International
- 7.1.13 Cree Inc.
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS