Product Code: 62375
The optical spectrum analyzer market is expected to register a CAGR of over 6%, over the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Optical spectrum analyzers are the key components enabling the research and development and installations operations in several communication applications.
- The manufacturing process of such mobile versions has expanded the scope of optical spectrum analyzers into the field service, especially for inspections and installation purposes. The demand for optical spectrum analyzers (OSA) is generally high from the telecom and manufacturing industry.
- The increasing demand for connected environments, especially in the manufacturing sector, has started driving the demand for faster and more reliable communication networks.
- With the introduction of 5G and cloud communications services is expected to increase the data traffic volumes and data generation massively. In order to allow in-time delivery required for the rapid expansion and adoption of faster rate optical modules, increased module production and shorter inspection times is required.
- The advancements in optical technologies and the advent of solid-state optics have helped several manufacturers in the global market to minimize the operations performed by a bench top sized apparatus to a mobile, handheld device.
Scope of the Report
An optical spectrum analyzer is a precision instrument that is used for measurement and displaying the distribution of power from an optic source over a specified wavelength span. The optical spectrum analyzer market for this study is segmented by types such as portable, handheld, benchtop, end-user as in telecommunication, manufacturing, consumer electronics among other and regions.
Key Market Trends
Telecommunications is Expected to Hold the Largest Share
- One of the major applications of the OSAs is in the telecommunications market where dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) is used to provide high data bandwidth over fiber optics. Most of the telecommunication equipment fabrication procedure includes a wavelength characterization test to qualify a product for market entry, the demand for OSAs from this sector is considerably high.
- Rapidly evolving communication networks and new spectrum like 5G are also creating significant demand opportunity for advanced telecommunication equipment, contributing to the increase in demand for OSAs from telecom manufacturers. The reducing number of 2G service providers are further expected to boost the R&D activities for cheaper communication alternatives that could replace 2G
- As of 2018, several advanced telecom markets globally have shut down their 2G services. For example, as of April 2018, Australia no longer supports 2G services. In the case of countries such as Japan, the 2G was shut down way back in 2011 due to the very low number of 2G subscribers.
North-America is Expected to Maintain a Strong Hold over the Market
- North America is one of the largest markets for the optical spectrum analyzers globally. The country has a high demand form of almost all the end-users alike. The rapid adoption of Industry 4.0 initiatives encouraging automation and connected manufacturing environment is one of the primary drivers creating the demand for optical spectrum analyzers in the region.
- Due to the advancement of 5G in the region, all the major service providers are moving towards launching the devices that support the new technology, thereby creating a potential demand for the OSAs in the market. This is evident from the fact that Canadian operators in an auction in April 2019, spent USD 3.5 billion in 5G spectrum auction for the 600 MHz band, an important frequency that penetrates buildings and works well in the rural area.
- Ericsson predicts that by 2023, the traffic is expected to increase by at least eight times. In such a scenario, the current 5G networks will enable ten times lower cost per gigabyte than the current 4G networks. Such benefits are expected to increase investments in the region's telecom sector, creating new opportunities for the optical spectrum analyzer market.
The competitive rivalry among the players in the optical spectrum analysis is high owing to the presence of some key players, such as Yokogawa, Finisar, VIAVI, Anritsu, Thorlabs and many more. Their ability to continuously innovate the products by investing a considerable amount in research and developments has allowed them to gain a competitive advantage over others in the market. Strategic alliances and mergers and acquisitions have enabled such players to gain a strong foothold in the market.
- September 2018 - Yokogawa Test and Measurement launched WT5000 precision power analyzer, that offers remarkable measurement accuracy of ±0.03%. The product is specially customized for large electric component manufacturers and electric vehicle manufacturers.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Growth of 5G (Millimetre Wave) Technology
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Replacement of Optical Spectrum Analyzer Products with Advanced Products
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.6 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Portable
- 5.1.2 Handheld
- 5.1.3 Benchtop
- 5.2 By End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Telecommunication
- 5.2.2 Healthcare
- 5.2.3 Consumer Electronics
- 5.2.4 Other End-user Industry
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Latin America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Yokogawa Test & Measurement Corporation
- 6.1.2 Thorlabs Inc.
- 6.1.3 VIAVI Solutions Inc.
- 6.1.4 EXFO Inc.
- 6.1.5 Anritsu Corporation
- 6.1.6 ADC Corporation
- 6.1.7 Apex Technologies
- 6.1.8 Aragon Photonics Brillouin
- 6.1.9 Finisar Corporation
- 6.1.10 New Ridge Technologies
- 6.1.11 ID Photonics GmbH
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS