Product Code: 68229
The drilling tools market is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 8.5%, owing to the increasing number drilling rigs, due to new discoveries in several reasons of the world. The drill bit market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 11% during the forecasting period, which indicates huge possibilities for other drilling tools market to grow at a similar pace. Major factors driving the market includes the rising exploration and development activities, increasing rig count, and increasing unconventional fields development activities across the globe. However, lack of investment in the offshore sector compared to that of onshore is expected to hinder the market growth in the coming years.
- The market demand for the drilling tool is expected to grow at a faster pace in the offshore oil & gas sector than the onshore sector. The decline in the offshore rig count has slowed down in recent years, and offshore activity is expected to pick up after one to two years from now. Overall, the offshore sector in the drilling tools market is expected witness more technological advancements and is likely to gain from the rising oil and gas prices.
- Exploring new markets in emerging economies of South America and Asia-Pacific and innovations in the drill bit technological landscape are presenting itself as a market opportunity for investors and drilling tools manufacturers.
- North America has dominated the drilling tools market in 2018 and is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Drill Bit as a Prominent Drilling Tool in the Market
- Drill Bit is one of the major tools of oil & gas drilling operation. It is designed to cut down underneath earth layers consisting of various rocks, for the discovery and extraction of oil and gas from the earth crust. The tool is divided to into two types, based upon its design i.e. roller cone bit and fixed cutter bit.
- During 2018, fixed cutter bits have the majority market share than the roller cone bits, account nearly 80% of the global drill bit market. Although a very old technology, roller cone bits are still preferred in the drilling industry due to its cost efficiency and robustness. However, improvements in drilling practices, bit designs and hydraulics, and continued technology developments in the fixed cutter technology has paved way for the commercial success of fixed cutter bits.
- Fixed cutter bits have no moving parts or bearings, unlike roller cone bits. The cutters are permanently mounted onto blades, which are integral to the structure of the bit. Polycrystalline Diamond Compact (PDC) bits dominate this category and hold a much higher market share than Roller Cone Bits in the current drill bit market.
- With newly discovered oil & gas fields, majorly in offshore market is expected to expand the drill bit market during the forecasting period. Around 26 oil and gas discoveries were found during the year 2019, which is estimated to have around 100 million barrel oil equivalent. Guyana in South America has the highest numbers of discoveries.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America comprises developed economies with substantial oil & gas resources. The United States is one of the largest producers of crude oil and natural gas, which accounted for around 16.2% and 21.5% of global production respectively in 2018. The production surged in 2017-2018, mainly due to robust drilling in its shale reserves, led by Permian basin.
- Permian basin is the most important basin and the market for drilling tools in the United States. In 2018, in the Permian Basin, 6,759 wells were drilled highest among all the shale basin, creating a huge demand for drilling tools in the United States.
- As the demand for drilling tools are directly related to the oil & gas activities, increased oil & gas exploration and production has resulted in higher demand for drilling tools in the United States.
- Furthermore, in Canada, new investment in new oil & gas projects witnessed a significant decrease from the 2014-2016 period, the rebound of oil prices to a sustainable level is expected to increase the upstream exploration & production (E&P) activities, particularly in the oil sands and shale areas.
- Therefore, North America is expected to be the dominant player in the drilling tools market, supported by increasing oil & gas exploration activities during the forecast period.
The drilling tools market is fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include National-Oilwell Varco Inc., Halliburton Company, Schlumberger Limited, Baker Hughes Company, Weatherford International Plc., Hunting Plc, Guizhou Gaofeng Petroleum Machinery Co. Ltd., United Drilling Tools Ltd., Collidrill, and Texas Steel Conversion Inc. amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Scope of the Study
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2025
- 4.3 Active Rig Count, by Major Countries, January 2016 - December 2019
- 4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4.6 Market Dynamics
- 4.6.1 Drivers
- 4.6.2 Restraints
- 4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
- 4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Drill Bit
- 5.1.2 Drill Collar
- 5.1.3 Drill Pipe
- 5.1.4 Drill Reamer and Stabilizer
- 5.1.5 Drill Swivel
- 5.1.6 Others
- 5.2 Location of Deployment
- 5.2.1 Onshore
- 5.2.2 Offshore
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 South America
- 5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 National-Oilwell Varco Inc.
- 6.3.2 Halliburton Company
- 6.3.3 Schlumberger Limited
- 6.3.4 Baker Hughes Company
- 6.3.5 Rival Downhole Tools
- 6.3.6 Hunting Plc.
- 6.3.7 United Drilling Tools Ltd
- 6.3.8 Collidrill SpA
- 6.3.9 Texas Steel Conversion Inc.,
- 6.3.10 Tejas Tubular Products
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS