Product Code: 47691
The IGBT market was valued at USD 5.4 billion in 2019, and it is expected to reach USD 9.38 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 9.66%, during the forecast period (2020-2025). The broad application range of IGBTs lured several new companies to venture into the market. IGBT activates/modifies electrical energy in several modern appliances, such as, cookers, microwaves, electric cars, trains, variable-frequency drives (VFDs), variable speed refrigerators, air conditioners, lamp ballasts, municipal power transmission systems, and stereo systems, which are well-equipped with switching amplifiers.
- Driven by carbon emission regulation, the automobile market is moving towards electrification of powertrains in electric and hybrid vehicles (EV/HEV), where conduction and switching losses are significantly reduced, having a direct impact on the overall efficiency.
- Sales of electric cars in Europe, North America, and China are creating new avenues for IGBTs, in order to support infrastructure and for manufacturing EV. Thus the stance of IGBT in the market is further strengthened.
- IGBTs could not penetrate into the market for lower voltage ranges (<400 V), as they do not show any major advantages when compared to MOSFETs. It cannot deal with limited free-wheeling current since it lacks body-drain diode and a large current tail. IGBTs are vulnerable to heating issues because they run at very high frequencies and under high power. Thermal characterization helps to optimize the IGBTs layout, structure and mounting to optimize its performance.
Scope of the Report
The structure of insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) provides a steady supply of electricity, by reducing the congestion in power supply, which leads to optimized power utilization.They are known as Discrete and Modular when it comes to type. They are continuously being used in EV/HEV, Renewables, UPS, Rail and Motor Drives
Key Market Trends
EV/HEV to Drive the Growth of IGBT
- Many new emerging technologies, such as the growth of electric cars and hybrid vehicles use IGBT modules since a higher level of reliability is required for the use in electric vehicles (EV) and hybrid electric vehicles than the typical industrial purposes.
- The reliability of IGBT modules as compared to other systems is the primary factor having a major influence on the growth of the market.
- According to EEI, the total EV sales for 2018 were up 40% compared to 2017. BMW and Volvo stood out with a much higher share of EV sales than other automakers (excluding Tesla).
- The United States, which hosts maximum EVs (thus having maximum market share for IGBT), has seen EV sales increasing over the years.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Fastest Growth
- In 2018, all electric vehicles have gained 3 % share in the mix since 2017, driven by growth in China.
- According to EVVOLUMES, largest growth contributor in 2018 was China, where sales increased by over 500 000 units to 1,2 million in 2018.
- China stood for 56 % of all plug-in sales, while in the case of Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV), 520 000, or 78 % more were sold in 2018. Majorly owing to the increasing production of electric vehicles in the region, the market is expected to witness a significant growth rate in the region.
The market for IGBT has been concentrated with some market players gaining the major market share, like Infineon, Fuji Electric, Mitsubishi, Toshiba and Hitachi along with other giants.
- November 2018 - Renesas Electronics Corporation and Secure Thingz, a global domain expert in device security, collaborated to ensure secure Internet of Things (IoT) applications are more easily developed on leading microcontrollers (MCUs), and that a secure production flow is available to deliver a secure global supply chain.
- July 2018 - ABB Control Technologies and Actemium signed a global cooperation agreement, which is expected to deliver joint solutions that enable customers to benefit from leading automation solutions. This increases the scope of IGBTs in industrial applications.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Deployment of Power Device Technologies Like Hybrid Vehicles is Strengthening the IGBT Market.
- 4.3.2 Increasing Demand for IOT Devices and Consumer Electronics is Expanding the Market.
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 IGBT Not a Preferred Option Due to Lower Voltage Range.
- 4.5 Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Discrete
- 5.1.2 Modular
- 5.2 By Power Rating
- 5.2.1 High-Power
- 5.2.2 Medium-Power
- 5.2.3 Low-Power
- 5.3 By End-user Industry
- 5.3.1 EV/HEV
- 5.3.2 Renewables
- 5.3.3 UPS
- 5.3.4 Rail
- 5.3.5 Motor drives
- 5.3.6 Industrial
- 5.3.7 Commercial
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 Latin America
- 5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Renesas Electronics Corporation
- 6.1.2 Infineon Technologies AG
- 6.1.3 Fuji Electric Co. Ltd
- 6.1.4 ROHM Co. Ltd
- 6.1.5 SEMIKRON International GmbH
- 6.1.6 Mitsubishi Electric Corp.
- 6.1.7 Toshiba Corp.
- 6.1.8 Hitachi Ltd
- 6.1.9 ON Semiconductor
- 6.1.10 ABB Ltd
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS