Product Code: 66995
The 3D TSV and 2.5D Market is expected to register a CAGR of 35.3% over the forecast period from 2021 to 2026. Packaging in the semiconductor industry has witnessed a continuous transformation. As the semiconductor applications are expanding, the slowdown in CMOS scaling and escalating costs has forced the industry to rely on the advancement in IC packaging. 3D stacking technologies are the only solution that meets the required performance of applications like AI, machine learning, and datacentres. Therefore, the growing need for high-performance computing applications is mainly driving the TSV (Through Silicon Via) market, over the forecast period.
- The 3D TSV packaging technology is also gaining traction. It enables a reduced data transmission time between chips and the current existing wire bonding technology, resulting in significantly lower power consumption with faster speed. In 2019, 2.5D/3D TSV ICs witnessed the highest revenue CAGRs in the advanced packaging semiconductor market.Since 2016, TSV has been widely used in CMOS image sensors (CIS) of smartphones and is increasingly integrated into the high-end market segment for memory devices. In 2019, hardware, like High Bandwidth Memory (HBM) and CIS, accounted for most of TSV's revenue.
- Although in 2019, the semiconductor industry witnessed negative growth, advanced packaging maintained its growth momentum. In 2019, memory devices (DRAM, NAND Flash, server MPU) contributed a significant portion of the overall demand for ICs. However, all these categories have been witnessing a declining growth rate for the past two years, and the trend is expected to continue in 2020. New capacity for flash memory is expected to bring stability in supply-demand balance for these ICs to support new applications, such as enterprise solid-state drives (SSDs), AI, AR/VR, graphics, and other complexes, real-time workload functions. The 3DIC through silicon via (TSV) technology has emerged as an attractive option to extend the flip-chip and wafer-level capabilities, owing to its enhanced functionality.
- Many of the markets studied vendors are mainly targeting data-intensive and extremely highspeed DRAM applications. For instance, in October 2019, Samsung developed the industry's first 12-layer 3D-TSV technology. The company claims that by increasing the number of stacked layers from eight to 12, it may be able to mass-produce 24 GB high bandwidth memory three times higher than 8GB high bandwidth memory capacity on the market today. In March 2020, the US-based manufacturer of wafer processing solutions for the semiconductor and advanced wafer-level packaging applications, ACM Research Inc., announced the launch of the Ultra SFP ap tool for advanced packaging solutions. The Ultra SFP ap is designed to address yield issues arising from through-silicon via (TSV) processes and fan-out wafer-level packaging (FOWLP).
- Fan-out is also emerging as a cost-effective method to achieve lower profile packages without using an inorganic substrate to produce chip packages that are thinner and faster without interposers or TSVs.The recent COVID-19 outbreak is expected to create significant imbalances in the supply chain of the market studied. Asia-Pacific, particularly China, is one of the notable influencers of the market studied. Also, many of the local governments in the Asia-Pacific have invested in the semiconductor industry in a long run program, hence, expected to regain market growth. For instance, the Chinese government raised around USD 23 to 30 billion funds, to pay for the second phase of its National IC Investment Fund 2030.
Key Market Trends
Consumer Electronics is Expected to Hold Significant Share
- Consumer electronics is one of the most significant segments and is expected to grow at a considerable pace due to the rising number of smartphones, tablets, and other hand-held devices. According to Jefferies and Company, global smartphone shipments are bound to reach 2.45 billion units by the end of 2020. Due to advancements in technology in major sectors, the size of products, such as gaming devices and wireless handsets, encourages manufacturers to produce miniature-sized products, thereby, contributing to the market growth. The evolution of touch screens and other advanced features stacked behind the display, such as in-display fingerprint sensors and pressure sensors, are vital elements to differentiate consumer electronics in the market that attract new buyers.
- Samsung introduced its Galaxy Watch, a smartwatch with a Bluetooth or standalone LTE model. Moreover, Huami Corporation, a biometric and activity data-driven company with significant expertise in smart wearable technology, also launched the Amazfit Verge and the Amazfit smartwatch. According to Consumer Technology Association, smartwatch unit sales reached 141 million (unit sales) in 2018, from 75 million in 2017, which is expected to contribute in 3D TSV demand. The demand for IoT-based consumer electronics may continue to gain traction, especially in Europe. This growth can be attributed to the growing trend of miniaturization and the ongoing need for connectivity.
- The increasing penetration of technology and the internet throughout the developing regions, primarily in countries such as China, India, Singapore, and Indonesia, has surged the consumer interest toward the adoption of advanced digital devices, thereby highlighting TSV importance in these economies. The number of television viewers is also expected to grow, due to the introduction of online TV platforms, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Play, and Sky Go. This means an increasing demand for pixel-array-to-chip-area-ratio for better resolution. It may encourage market adoption due to increased deployment of TSV in television sets.
- Companies are also experimenting when it comes to developing 3D TSV devices. In 2018, Samsung began the production of its fifth-generation V-NAND memory chips that features faster data transfers. According to the company, the new 256Gb or gigabit V-NAND flash memory has reached a speed of 1.4Gbps, or gigabits per second, resulting in a 40% increase from its 64-layer predecessor. This V-NAND flash memory is going to be intended for premium smartphones and is being targeted for other industries and applications. However, ongoing China-US trade stand-off, which is obstructing for an electronics company to import consumer electronics from China, is negatively affecting 3D TSV device manufacturers and acting as a challenge for the market.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Fastest Growth Rate Over the Forecast Period
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing region for the market studied. The increasing smartphone adoption rates have made Asia-Pacific one of the largest mobile markets in the world. This is due to the rising population growth and urbanization. As per the GSM Association, more than four out of five connections may be smartphones by 2025. This trend is expected to increase the TSV technology usage for smartphones in this region. Industry 4.0 is also acting as one of the most emerging trends in Asia-Pacific. IoT devices and their miniaturization are an essential trend in Industry 4.0, utilizing 3D TSV. The region is investing heavily in IoT to support smart city infrastructure.
- In September 2019, the GSMA APAC IoT partnership program expanded to include more than 30 mobile operators, making it the most significant IoT community in the Asia-Pacific region. In February 2019, Chunghwa Telecom selected Ericsson IoT Accelerator to drive IoT toward enterprise customers. Such instances are expected to open the door for 3D TSV vendors. Another critical factor is the growth potential for autonomous vehicles in this region, especially in key markets like China, Singapore, Japan, and India. In June 2019, Toyota announced to invest USD 2 billion to develop electric vehicles in Indonesia over the next four years, starting with hybrid cars. In January 2018, Ford spent USD 11 billion in electric vehicles, much higher than its previous USD 4.5 billion targets.
- With this investment, the company plans to roll out 40 electric vehicles by 2022. Sixteen of these may be fully electric, and the rest may be plug-in hybrids. Such steps taken by global automakers may contribute to the market growth related to TSV devices. China is also targeting sales of 7 million EVs to battle air pollution and reduce its dependence on crude oil. Several government initiatives are playing a significant role in fueling the market growth. The Chinese government raised around USD 23 to 30 billion in July 2019, to pay for the second phase of its National IC Investment Fund. With governmental support, especially in China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, the regional vendors have been increasing their production capacities to meet the increasing global demand for memory ICs.
- South Korea-based memory semiconductor supplier, SK Hynix, has been significantly investing in both HBM and high-density 3D-TSV DRAM products over the last few years. Recently, the company also announced the successful development of the HBM2E device, an extended version of HBM2, which reaches a higher density of up to 16GB and bandwidth of 460GB/s per stack. The company is also expanding line-ups of 128~256GB 3D-TSV DIMMs, catering to the growing needs of its customers for higher density DIMMs. In April 2019, in South Korea, a collective laser assisted bonding process for 3D TSV integration with NCP( non-conductive paste) was made, where several TSV dies can be stacked simultaneously to improve the productivity while maintaining the reliability of the solder joints through laser-assisted bonding (LAB) advanced technology.
The 3D TSV and 2.5D Market is exceptionally competitive and consists of various significant players as it is diversified. The existence of large, small, and local vendors in the market creates extraordinary competition. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability. The companies operating in the market are also acquiring start-ups working on enterprise network equipment technologies to strengthen their product capabilities.
- March 2020 - Taiwan-based TSMC collaborated with US-based Broadcom to introduce an enhanced Chip-on-Wafer-on-Substrate (CoWoS) platform, a 2.5D IC TSV interposer-based packaging technology, that supports the industry's first and largest full 2x reticle size interposer. According to the company, the higher memory capacity and bandwidth make it ideal for memory-intensive applications, such as deep learning, 5G networking workloads, and power-efficient data centers. The new technology also offers additional space and increased flexibility and yield for intricate ASIC designs.
- February 2020 - Samsung Electronics announced the market launch of 'Flashbolt,' its third-generation High Bandwidth Memory 2E (HBM2E). The new 16-gigabyte (GB) HBM2E is uniquely suited to maximize high-performance computing (HPC) systems and help system manufacturers advance their supercomputers, AI-driven data analytics state-of-the-art graphics systems promptly. This HBM2E package is interconnected in an accurate arrangement of more than 40,000 TSV micro bumps, with each 16Gb die containing over 5,600 of these microscopic holes.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
- 4.1 Market Overview (Covers the impact due to COVID-19)
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.1.1 Expanding Market for High Performance Computing Application
- 5.1.2 Expanding Scope of Data Centers and Memory Devices
- 5.2 Market Challenges
- 5.2.1 High Unit Cost of IC Packages
6 TECHNOLOGICAL SNAPSHOT
7 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 7.1 By Packaging Type
- 7.1.1 3D Stacked Memory
- 7.1.2 2.5D Interposer
- 7.1.3 CIS with TSV
- 7.1.4 3D SoC
- 7.1.5 Other Packaging Types ( LED, MEMS & Sensors, etc.)
- 7.2 By End-user Application
- 7.2.1 Consumer Electronics
- 7.2.2 Automotive
- 7.2.3 High Performance Computing (HPC) and Networking
- 7.2.4 Other End-user Applications
- 7.3 Geography
- 7.3.1 North America
- 7.3.2 Europe
- 7.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 7.3.4 Rest of the World
8 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 8.1 Company Profiles
- 8.1.1 Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited
- 8.1.2 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
- 8.1.3 Toshiba Corp.
- 8.1.4 Pure Storage Inc.
- 8.1.5 ASE Group
- 8.1.6 Amkor Technology, Inc.
- 8.1.7 United Microelectronics Corp.
- 8.1.8 STMicroelectronics NV
- 8.1.9 Broadcom Ltd
- 8.1.10 Intel Corporation
- 8.1.11 Jiangsu Changing Electronics Technology Co. Ltd
9 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10 FUTURE OF THE MARKET