Product Code: 52840
The silicon metal market was valued at over 2.9 million ton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
COVID-19 has affected both the demand and supply of silicon all around the world. Due to restrictions, there could not be a regular material supply, while most of the silicon metal plants stopped production temporarily. The price reversal due to COVID-19 and the recent commerce imposition of preliminary duties on all silicon metal imports may further affect the market negatively.
- Over the mid-term, one of the major factors driving the market studied is the increasing demand for aluminum-silicon alloys.
- The high cost of production is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- In the short and long run, there is no visible option to reduce the cost of silicon metal production, as the implementations on taxes are increasing over time.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries, such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Semiconductor Application
- Silicon is commonly used as a semiconductor in electronics: devices, such as printed circuit boards, transistors, integrated circuits, and many more, due to its properties that help in achieving the desired conductive efficiency.
- Silicon conducts electricity under some conditions and acts as an insulator under others.
- Silicon's electrical properties can be modified through a process called doping. These characteristics make it an ideal material for making transistors, which amplify electrical signals.
- Silicon wafer is the most common type of electronic component that is used in numerous electronic devices.
- Silicon possesses a moderate energy bandgap of 1.12eV at 0 K. This makes silicon a stable element compared to germanium and reduces the chance of leakage current.
- Global semiconductor sales stood at USD 439 billion in 2020 due to the growing demand for chips across the markets.
- In recent times, research has been conducted in the field of silicon photonics, which combines photonics and electronics to create ultra-fast optical data processing.
- Owing to the aforementioned reasons, the usage of silicon metals in semiconductor applications is increasing globally.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest share in the market, with China being the world's largest producer of silicon metal.
- China is the world's largest producer of silicon. According to the silicon branch of China Non-ferrous Metals Industry Association (CNIA), China wants to reposition its domestic silicon metal sector as a strategic source of raw material for the nation due to the persistent overseas anti-dumping policies imposed against the import of silicon from China.
- The Chinese silicon metal sector has high energy and resource consumption, along with a high polluting industry. Although some regional governments have preferential policies for their local silicon players to lift their completeness, due to expected limited room for a further fall in rigid costs, domestic silicon prices are likely to be stable in the future.
- China, with a production volume of around 5.4 million metric ton in 2020, is the largest silicon producer.
- There exists a strong competition among various key Chinese silicon production zones, especially between Yunnan Province, Central China, and Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, Northwest China.
- The aforementioned factors are expected to drive the market in the region during the forecast period.
The silicon metal market is partially consolidated. The major companies include Ferroglobe, Mississippi Silicon, RIMA Industrial, Sil'tronix Silicon Technologies, and Silicon Metal Industries, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Aluminum-silicon Alloys
- 4.1.2 Increasing Use in the Solar Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 High Cost of Production
- 4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising due to the Impact of COVID-19
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
- 5.1 Product Type
- 5.1.1 Metallurgy Grade
- 5.1.2 Chemical Grade
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Aluminum Alloys
- 5.2.2 Semiconductors
- 5.2.3 Solar Panels
- 5.2.4 Stainless Steel
- 5.2.5 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China
- 22.214.171.124 India
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States
- 18.104.22.168 Canada
- 22.214.171.124 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 Italy
- 220.127.116.11 France
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
- 220.127.116.11 South Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Ferroglobe PLC
- 6.4.2 Elkem
- 6.4.3 HC Starck
- 6.4.4 Liasa
- 6.4.5 Mississipi Silicon
- 6.4.6 Panadyne Inc.
- 6.4.7 RIMA Industrial
- 6.4.8 Rusal
- 6.4.9 Sil'tronix Silicon Technologies
- 6.4.10 Silicon Metal Industries
- 6.4.11 Simcoa Operations Pty Ltd
- 6.4.12 Sumco Corporation
- 6.4.13 The Quartz Corporation
- 6.4.14 Wynca Group
- 6.4.15 Zhejiang Kaihua Yuantong Silicon Industry Co. Ltd
- 6.4.16 PCC SE
- 6.4.17 Hoshine Silicon Industry Co., Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Rising Demand for Solar Panel in Asia-Pacific