Product Code: 52695
The metal packaging market was valued at USD 138.11 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 193.24 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. According to the Population Reference Bureau, in 2018, the degree of urbanization across the world was at around 55%. The shrinking size of the family, along with changing patterns in lifestyle, including the declining amount of time spent on preparation of meals and consumption at home, is leading to a shift toward more processed, frozen, and pre-prepared foods, in which canned foods is the most common form of packaging. The metal packaging holds the largest market share of these foods. However, the metal packaging market is expected to witness fierce competition from substitute flexible plastic packaging products.
- Aerosol cans have been a significant driver for the market, witnessing increased adoption in the automotive, cosmetics, industrial and household care sector. Europe is one of the largest producers of aerosol globally due to the favourable business environment encouraging firms to establish manufacturing facilities in the region. Further, new production technologies coupled with an increasing number of product launches have buoyed the market growth.
- Augmenting this trend, recently, Nivea launched a new product range in the deodorant segment, boasting a taller and sleek shaped aluminum aerosol that was designed by Beiersdorf and manufactured by Ardagh Group. Ardagh's metal division investigated various cutting-edge technologies for aerosol can production. As a result, the company set new standards for high-quality metal packaging for the personal care sector.
- Reuse is a major trend in metal packaging because of the increased pressure to prolong the lifecycle of finite resources through the re-use of containers. In contrast to consumer applications, many industrial packaging markets benefit from a highly effective and well-established infrastructure for products, like reconditioned drums to maximize repeat use. This has been a major driver for the adoption of steel, which has been proven in numerous studies to be less harmful to the environment than the extraction of virgin ore.
Scope of the Report
Metal packaging is the key to the sustainable development of human civilization. Metal, being a permanent material retains 100% of its properties even after infinite recycling thereby reducing resource wastage significantly. Metals like aluminum are very easy to sterilise for packaging purposes, and its durability and high barrier protection makes it an excellent choice for packaging material.
Key Market Trends
Beverage is Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- The beverage sector is dominated by the use of aluminum and steel cans. However, with the on-going trend of convenient packaging, the demand for flexible stand-up pouches is on the rise. This growth is also attributed to the use of metal caps and closures for various beverage products.
- Aluminum packaging for beer, carbonated soft drinks, and energy drinks has increasingly dominated over other product segments, such as sparkling wines, iced teas, and coffee-based refreshments. The recycling rate for used aluminum beverage cans in Europe was 71.3% in 2017; the European Union aims to reach a recycling target of 80% by 2020. With the capability of saving up to 95% energy of primary production by recycling, aluminum beverage cans are contributing incessantly to sustainability.
- Beverage can manufacturers have lightened the package by reducing the gauge required to fabricate the cans. Metal cans can support the carbonation pressure that is required to package soda and resist pressures up to 90 pounds per square inch. As a matter of fact, four six-packs are capable of supporting a 2-ton vehicle, making them a more favored choice of packaging for the beverage industry.
North America is Expected to Hold the Largest Share
- North America is expected to hold a major market share in the metal packaging market, mainly due to the presence of strong food & beverage industries. According to the Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, the United States food industry is forecast to grow at a steady rate of 2.9% through 2022.
- Moreover, the United States is also one of the largest manufacturers of aluminium cans, which consumes an average of 380 types of beverages in aluminium cans every year that are majorly used for beverage packaging.
- Around 95% of all beer and soft drink cans in the United States are made of aluminum. American can makers produce around 100 billion aluminum beverage cans a year, which is equivalent to one can per American per day.
- The growing urban population coupled with the increasing number of households, have been instrumental in bolstering the growth of canned food products, which is expected to influence the growth of the metal packaging market. According to UN DESA, it is estimated that 89.2% of the total population in the United States will live in urban areas.
The metal packaging market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. Many companies are increasing their market presence by introducing new products, by expanding their operations or by entering into strategic mergers and acquisitions.
- April 2019 - Ardagh Group expanded its production at Jacarei and Manaus can and end facilities, respectively. These projects aim to meet the growing demand of its customers for infinitely-recyclable and sustainable aluminium packaging. These investments are consistent with the company's commitment to supporting the growth prospects of the Brazilian can market.
- February 2018 - Ball Corporation announced to build a one-line beverage can and an end manufacturing plant in Asuncion, Paraguay. This expansion would allow the company to serve the growing beverage can market in Paraguay, Bolivia, and Argentina.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Advancements in Aerosol Dispensing Technologies
- 4.3.2 Increasing Adoption of Green Packaging Solutions
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Threat from Flexible Plastic Substitutes
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Product Type
- 5.1.1 Cans
- 5.1.2 Drums
- 5.1.3 Metal Caps and Closures
- 5.1.4 Bulk Containers
- 5.1.5 Other Product Types
- 5.2 By End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Beverage
- 5.2.2 Food
- 5.2.3 Industrial
- 5.2.4 Personal and Household Care
- 5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 184.108.40.206 United States
- 220.127.116.11 Canada
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 Germany
- 126.96.36.199 France
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 184.108.40.206 China
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 India
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Latin America
- 126.96.36.199 Brazil
- 188.8.131.52 Argentina
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
- 18.104.22.168 UAE
- 22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
- 126.96.36.199 South Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Alcoa Incorporated
- 6.1.2 Amcor Limited
- 6.1.3 Ball Corporation
- 6.1.4 Crown Holdings Inc.
- 6.1.5 Can-Pack S. A.
- 6.1.6 Silgan Holdings Incorporated
- 6.1.7 Tubex GmbH
- 6.1.8 Greif Incorporated
- 6.1.9 Mauser Packaging Solutions
- 6.1.10 Ardagh Group
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS