Product Code: 49408
The MEMS-based oscillator market is expected to register a cagr of 41.83% over the forecast period 2019 -2024. The growing demand for elctronic device and miniturization and customization of cunsumer electronic products will drive the market in the forecast period.
- The MEMS-based oscillators have been making rapid progress and gaining a dominant share in the market. Advances in further developing quartz crystal-based oscillators have reached a plateau, while there has been an increase in demand for higher performance, size, and cost.
- The disruptive MEMS-based technology has challenged the predominant quartz crystal, by providing a viable alternative solution, which is highly affordable and can perform in accordance with the requirements posed by the wide range of industrial applications. MEMS has witnessed a significantly high penetration across different applications, such as sensing pressure, motion, and acceleration.
- MEMS-based oscillator's increasing penetration in applications that require higher accuracy and longer battery life, such as wearables, IoT, and mobile devices. Wearables are expected to have high growth due to a variety of device types. Fitbit to smartwatches to body-worn cameras and even head-mounted displays.
- Also, due to sales in countries, such as India and China. In addition, advent of technologies, such as 5G, is further expected to push the demand for smartphones, in turn, driving the MEMS-based oscillator market.
- Critical technical issues, such as silicon's frequency temperature coefficient and the drift caused, due to packaging contamination (which is evident in MEMS-based oscillators), have been major restricting factors for the wide-scale adoption of these oscillators.
Scope of the Report
MEMS-based oscillators are an integral part of every circuit implemented in the industry which emits highly stable frequencies that can measure time. These reference frequencies may be used to sequence electronic systems, manage data transfer, define radio frequencies, and measure elapsed time. The Quartz crystal-based oscillators have been the conventional choice for a wide range of applications in the industry. However, the emergence of commercial applications of MEMS-based silicon oscillators in the last decade has transformed the oscillator market.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Automotive Applications to Augment Growth
- Digitization and increasing autonomous vehicle have revolutionized the automotive sector. These factors give rise to several disruptive technology-driven trends in the automotive sector, diverse mobility, autonomous driving, electrification, and connectivity.
- Moreover, MEMS oscillators help in delivering maximum performance and best robustness. They are designed for ASIL (Automotive Safety Integrity Level) compliant automotive applications, like electronic control units (ECUs), advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), and in-vehicle Ethernet and powertrain.
- Apart from this, the automotive industry is witnessing a massive transformation, with new features, such as advanced safety and driver assistance systems, electrification, automation, and real-time big data analytics. MEMS technologies play a significant role in this transformation, further driving the demand in the segment.
North America to Account for Significant Market Share
- North America accounts for the largest market for MEMS-based oscillators, reinforced by the presence of an established industrial sector and booming automotive and consumer electronics industries. The volume of automobile production in the region has witnessed a growth in the 2014-2021 period.
- In addition, the growth of connected and driverless cars in the region and IoT applications in the automotive segment are also expected to drive the demand for MEMS-based oscillators.
- Moreover, the gradually increasing demand for smartphones in the region, specifically due to the local player Apple's product, iPhone, and Samsung's flagship S-series is further expected to drive the demand for MEMS-based oscillators.
- This increasing penetration is mainly because of their inherent advantages such as small size, high reliability, and low power consumption.
- Along with this, there is high growth of the market in APAC which can be attributed to the relentless LTE activity in China and the rapid growth of mobile infrastructure in APAC.
The major players include SITime Corporation, Microchip Technology Inc., Vectron International Inc., Abracon Holdings, LLC, TXC Corporation, IQD Frequency Product Ltd, amongst others. There is high competition among major players due to the boom of automation, mainly in the automotive sector in this industry. The major players are spending more on R&D, which in return, create high competition in the market. Therefore the market competition will be low.
- March 2018 - Microchip launched automotive grade MEMS oscillators. Microchip Technology has the DSA family of automotive grade multi-output MEMS. The company claims they are 20x more reliable and 500x more tolerant to shock than quartz-based crystal devices.
- December 2017 - SiTime Corporation announced new MEMS-based oscillators for automotive networking in advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS). These solutions are expected to propel the automotive industry forward in the development of driverless cars.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Growth of Smartphones and Wearable's
- 4.3.2 Growing Demand for Electronic Device Miniaturization and Customization
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 The Research & Development Costs are High
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 VCXO - Voltage Control Oscillator
- 5.1.2 TCXO - Temperature Compensated Oscillator
- 5.1.3 SSXO - Spread Spectrum Oscillator
- 5.1.4 FSXO - Frequency Select Oscillator
- 5.1.5 DCXO - Digitally Controlled Oscillator
- 5.2 By End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Automotive
- 5.2.2 Aerospace & Defense
- 5.2.3 Consumer Electronics
- 5.2.4 Telecom
- 5.2.5 Medical & Healthcare
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 ILSI America LLC
- 6.1.2 TXC Corporation
- 6.1.3 Microchip Technology Inc.
- 6.1.4 SiTime Corporation
- 6.1.5 Daishinku Corp.
- 6.1.6 Ecliptek Corporation
- 6.1.7 Abracon Holdings LLC
- 6.1.8 Vectron International Inc.
- 6.1.9 Mouser Electronics
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS