Product Code: 53539
The market for carbon black is expected to expand at a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are growing applications in fiber and textile industries. Declining automotive industry expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Tire and industrial rubber product application dominated the market and is expected to grow during the forecast period. Carbon black is one of the reinforces that frequently used in tire industry owing to its effect on mechanical and dynamic properties of tires. It is used in various formulations with different rubber types to customize the performance properties of tires. It is used in various formulations with different rubber types to customize the performance properties of tires.
- Growth in the adoption of electric cars and self-driving cars is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from the countries such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application for Tires and Industrial Rubber Products
- The tires and industrial rubber products application is the largest application segment of the carbon black market with more than 80% of the market share.
- Carbon black is used in the tires of automotive vehicles. It is used as a filler as well as a strengthening reinforcing agent.
- Carbon black is one of the reinforces that frequently used in the tire industry owing to its effect on mechanical and dynamic properties of tires. It is used in various formulations with different rubber types to customize the performance properties of tires.
- Global tire production in 2019 is estimated to reach 255 million units, which is a 5% increase from 2018 (where it posted growth of 6% from 2017). It is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 2-3% over the forecast period.
- Other than tires, it is also required for various molded and extruded industrial rubber products, such as conveyor belts, gaskets, air springs, grommets, vibration isolation devices, and hoses. It provides flex strength in such products.
China to Dominate the Market in Asia-Pacific Region
- China contributes nearly 43 % of the global carbon black production, with a volume of almost 5.7 million tons. China is also the global largest exporter of carbon black. The primary carbon black feedstock is coal tar and other carbon black feedstocks include slurry oil & ethylene tar. The country's total annual capacity reached 7.5 million tons in 2018.
- Carbon black prices in China have surged in the recent past, due to a supply shortage amid massive plant shutdowns caused by the Chinese government's intensifying environmental protection campaign.
- The top local manufacturers of carbon black include Jiangxi Black Cat, Longxing Chemicals, Shanxi Yongdong Chemicals, Shanxi Anlun Chemicals, Liaobin Carbon Black, Shanxi Sanqiang New Energy Technology Co. Ltd, Suzhou Baohua Carbon Black, Shandong Jinneng Technology, Shandong NST Carbon Black, Yunan Yunwei Feihu Chemicals, Qujin Zongyi Chemicals, and Shandong Best Chemicals.
- The tire production in the country has a deep impact on the carbon black market as it is the largest demand puller.
- China's tire production and sales volume recorded the continuous drops in the past two years, owing to the negative trends in the local automotive industry. Even the first three quarters of 2019, saw a sharper year-on-year decline.
- Apart from the drop in domestic consumption, the US and EU anti-dumping tariffs also are casting heavy shadows, as more than 40% of China's tires are exported to the two markets.
- The plastics industry in China is the world's largest, accounting for nearly 30% of global production. Also, the plastics industry in China is the world's largest, accounting for nearly 30% of the global production.
- Such increasing demand from various end-user in the country is, in turn, boosting the demand for the market studied
The global carbon black market is a consolidated market, where the top seven players contribute to about 60% of the market share. The major companies for the carbon black market include Cabot Corporation, Orion Engineered Carbons, Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd, China Synthetic Rubber Corporation, Phillips Carbon Black Ltd, etc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Application in Fiber and Textile Industries
- 4.1.2 Increasing Market Penetration of Specialty Black
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Declining Automotive Industry
- 4.2.2 Availability of Substitutes
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Trade Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Process Type
- 5.1.1 Furnace Black
- 5.1.2 Gas Black
- 5.1.3 Lamp Black
- 5.1.4 Thermal Black
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Tire and Industrial Rubber Product
- 5.2.2 Plastic
- 220.127.116.11 Film and Sheet
- 18.104.22.168 Pressure Pipe
- 22.214.171.124 Molded Parts
- 5.2.3 Toner and Printing Ink
- 5.2.4 Paints and Coatings
- 5.2.5 Textile Fiber
- 126.96.36.199 Polyester
- 188.8.131.52 Nylon
- 184.108.40.206 Acrylic
- 5.2.6 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 220.127.116.11 China
- 18.104.22.168 India
- 22.214.171.124 Japan
- 126.96.36.199 South Korea
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 184.108.40.206 United States
- 220.127.116.11 Canada
- 18.104.22.168 Mexico
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 Italy
- 220.127.116.11 France
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
- 220.127.116.11 South Africa
- 18.104.22.168 United Arab Emirates
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Asahi Carbon Co. Ltd
- 6.4.2 Birla Carbon (Aditya Birla Group)
- 6.4.3 Cabot Corporation
- 6.4.4 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
- 6.4.5 International CSRC Investment Holdings Co. Ltd
- 6.4.6 Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)
- 6.4.7 Himadri Chemicals and Industries Ltd
- 6.4.8 Imerys Graphite and Carbon
- 6.4.9 Jiangxi Black Cat Carbon Black Co. Ltd
- 6.4.10 Longxing Chemical Stock Co. Ltd
- 6.4.11 Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- 6.4.12 Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
- 6.4.13 OCI Company Ltd
- 6.4.14 OMSK Carbon Group
- 6.4.15 Orion Engineered Carbons SA
- 6.4.16 Phillips Carbon Black Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Growth in the adoption of Electric cars and self-driving cars