Product Code: 53439
The market for polyolefin is expected to grow at a CAGR of less than 8% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied is shift in preferences from rigid packaging to flexible packaging.
- Growing focus on green polyolefin is likely to act as an opportunities.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption in a country such as India, China, etc.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Polyethylene
- Presently, polyethylene is the most widely used plastic resin in the world, owing to its easy processability, low cost, and versatile nature. It makes about 40% of the resins that are used in numerous end-user applications. As the industry is increasingly becoming integrated, the factors that have a major impact on the market are changing accordingly.
- With the development of ethylene feedstocks from new sources, such as bio-based materials, coal, and shale, the polyethylene prices are expected to have advantage over other plastics resins, while boosting the demand and usage of polyethylene in the market. Additionally, consistent advancements in the polymerization catalysts technologies are expected to enhance the yield, performance, and customization of polyethylene resins.
- HDPE, LDPE, and LLDPE are the most commonly used forms of polyethylene.
- HDPE, owing to its numerous properties and advantages, is used in numerous applications. HDPEs are resistant to most chemical solvents, UV resistant, non-leaching, can withstand temperature from -148 to 176ºF , and are also cost-effective plastics.
- HDPE is great for blow molding applications, and is used in food and beverage containers. Its recyclable nature makes it feasible for highly disposable products.
- It is also used in chemical containers, owing to its chemical resistant properties. It is used in shampoo
- Polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE) comprises the major proportion of polyolefins used in film extrusion.
- Polyethylene fibers have the maximum market share in the fiber segment. Elastolefin, a fiber composed of at least 95% (by weight) of ethylene and at least one other olefin, is very popular, owing to its good elastic properties. High molecular weight polyethylene fibers (HMWP) are widely used in protective apparels.
- Piping systems in high-density polyethylene (HDPE, PE100, PE80) are fast becoming the most commonly used piping systems in the world, owing to their economic viability, as well as low toxicity.
- All the above factors are likely to increase the demand for the market.
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Region
- China is one of the fastest emerging economies, and has presently become one of the biggest production houses in the world. The country's manufacturing sector is one of the major contributors to its economy.
- Presently, China is a major consumer of polyolefin worldwide. The growth is majorly driven by the increase in e-commerce, as the strong courier business has led to a spike in demand for plastic packaging.
- The country primarily relies on the imports from the United States to meet the demand for PE. The United States exported 600,000 metric ton of PE to China. The huge shale gas-based capacities in the United States have inundated China with PE.
- Electronic products, such as smartphones, OLED TVs, tablets, and so on have the highest growth in the market in the consumer electronics segment. With increase in the disposable income of middle-class population, the demand for electronic products is projected to grow in the near future, thereby driving the demand for polyolefins in the country.
- All the factors are likely to increase the demand for the market over the forecast period.
The polyolefin (po) market is partially consolidated. Some of the major players include Lyondellbasell Industries Holdings BV, Exxon Mobil Corporation, SABIC, LG Chem, and Arkema Group, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Shift in Preferences from Rigid Packaging to Flexible Packaging
- 4.1.2 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Material Type
- 5.1.1 Polyethylene (PE)
- 5.1.2 Polypropylene (PP)
- 5.1.3 Polyolefin Elastomer (POE)
- 5.1.4 Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA)
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Films and Sheets
- 5.2.2 Injection Molding
- 5.2.3 Blow Molding
- 5.2.4 Extrusion Coating
- 5.2.5 Fibers and Raffia
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 184.108.40.206 China
- 220.127.116.11 India
- 18.104.22.168 Japan
- 22.214.171.124 South Korea
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 188.8.131.52 United States
- 184.108.40.206 Canada
- 220.127.116.11 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
- 126.96.36.199 Italy
- 188.8.131.52 France
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 220.127.116.11 Brazil
- 18.104.22.168 Argentina
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
- 188.8.131.52 South Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share/ Ranking Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Arkema Group
- 6.4.2 BASF SE
- 6.4.3 Braskem
- 6.4.4 Chevron Phillips Chemical Company
- 6.4.5 China National Petroleum Corporation
- 6.4.6 China Petrochemical Corporation
- 6.4.7 Daelim
- 6.4.8 Dow
- 6.4.9 Exxon Mobil Corporation
- 6.4.10 Formosa Plastics Corporation
- 6.4.11 Japan Polypropylene Corporation
- 6.4.12 LG Chem Ltd
- 6.4.13 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV
- 6.4.14 Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- 6.4.15 Mitsui Chemicals Incorporated
- 6.4.16 Nova Chemicals Corporation
- 6.4.17 PetroChina Company Limited
- 6.4.18 Reliance Industries Limited
- 6.4.19 SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corporation)
- 6.4.20 Sasol Ltd
- 6.4.21 Tosoh Corporation
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Growing Focus on Green Polyolefin