Product Code: 51529
The market for Refractories is anticipated to register a CAGR of around 5% during the forecast period. The growing production of non-ferrous materials, increasing construction activities in emerging markets, and demand coming from the glass industry are the factors driving the market growth.
- Emerging countries, like China, Russia, Mexico, and South Africa, are investing heavily in large-scale infrastructure projects, which are expected to significantly boost the growth of the iron and steel industry.
- The increasing environmental awareness, government agencies, and environmental agencies, across the world, are laying down the guidelines regarding the usage and disposal of refractories. This is likely to hinder the market growth.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Iron & Steel Industry
- The iron and steel industry is the major end-user of refractories, which accounts for more than 70% of the market. These materials can withstand high temperatures, ranging from 260°C (500°F) to 1850°C (3400°F), without any major change in their physical properties.
- The major applications of refractories in the iron and steel industry include usage in internal linings of furnaces to make iron and steel, in furnaces for heating steel before further processing, in vessels for holding and transporting metal and slag, in the flues or stacks through which hot gases are conducted, and others.
- In terms of consumption, Asia-Pacific is currently the largest consumer of refractories in the iron and steel industry, followed by Europe and North America. In North America, the United States is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the consumption of refractories in this industry, during the forecast period.
- In the European Union, a mild recovery in the demand for steel continues, while improving the economic sentiments and investment conditions. However, uncertainties in the political landscape, related to the refugee crisis and Brexit, are some of the risks to the economic condition. The demand for steel in the region is anticipated to grow at a slow pace, over the forecast period.
- All the aforementioned factors, is expected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Region
- China dominates the refractories market in terms of consumption and production, due to the local availability of raw materials, such as magnesite and alumni.
- Additionally, they are available at cheaper costs, as compared to other producers. The iron and steel industry consume the largest portion of refractories, globally, and in China as well.
- Industrial restructuring and the decreased consumption rate of refractories for per ton of steel have impacted the demand for refractories in China. However, the steady growth in the production of iron and steel in the country have been driving the growth of the refractories market in the recent times.
- The growing residential construction industry is expected to support the domestic production demand for non-ferrous, which is a positive factor for the increase in refractories demand in the coming years.
- Owing to the encouraging government initiatives and a vast consumer base, the chemical manufacturing sector in China is expected to increase at a consistent rate during the forecast period. The increasing production of chemicals is expected to create an opportunity for the growth of the refractories market in the country in near future.
The refractories market is highly fragmented, with the top five players accounting for less than 25% of the market. Key players in the refractories market include Chosun Refractories Co. Ltd, IFGL Refractories Ltd, Imerys, Magnezit Group, Refratechnik, Resco Products Inc., Shinagawa Refractories Co. Ltd, and Morgan Advanced Materials, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Strong Growth of Iron and Steel Production in the Emerging Countries
- 4.1.2 Increase in the Production of Non-ferrous Materials
- 4.1.3 High Demand from the Glass Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Environmental Concerns, and Health and Safety Issues
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Product Type
- 5.1.1 Non-clay Refractory
- 184.108.40.206 Magnesite Brick
- 220.127.116.11 Zirconia Brick
- 18.104.22.168 Silica Brick
- 22.214.171.124 Chromite Brick
- 126.96.36.199 Others
- 5.1.2 Clay Refractory
- 188.8.131.52 High Alumina
- 184.108.40.206 Fireclay
- 220.127.116.11 Insulating
- 5.2 End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Iron & Steel
- 5.2.2 Energy & Chemicals
- 5.2.3 Non-ferrous Metals
- 5.2.4 Cement
- 5.2.5 Ceramic
- 5.2.6 Glass
- 5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China
- 22.214.171.124 India
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States
- 18.104.22.168 Canada
- 22.214.171.124 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 Italy
- 220.127.116.11 France
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
- 220.127.116.11 South Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Chosun Refractories Co. Ltd
- 6.4.2 Harbisonwalker International
- 6.4.3 IFGL Refractories Ltd
- 6.4.4 Imerys
- 6.4.5 Krosaki Harima Corporation
- 6.4.6 Magnezit Group
- 6.4.7 Minerals Technologies Inc.
- 6.4.8 Morgan Advanced Materials
- 6.4.9 Refratechnik
- 6.4.10 Resco Products Inc.
- 6.4.11 RHI Magnesita GmbH
- 6.4.12 Shinagawa Refractories Co. Ltd
- 6.4.13 Vesuvius
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Growth Potential of the Indian Steel Industry
- 7.2 Other Opportunities