Product Code: 56585
The market for primary battery is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 4.4% during the forecast period of 2020 - 2025. The demand for primary batteries remains high across the world, owing to the numerous advantages of primary batteries, such as low cost, wide application across consumer electronics, including flashlights, calculators, clocks, and smoke alarms. Also, factors such as rising demand for primary batteries in military applications and increased demand for consumer electronics are expected to drive the market over the forecast period. There has been an increase in the need for a battery that can meet heavy discharge requirements, as consumer electronics power requirement increases. This is also expected to increase the demand for secondary batteries which, in turn, is likely to have a negative impact on the growth of primary battery market over the forecast period.
- The primary alkaline battery is expected to dominate the market and account for more than one-third of the market share in 2019.
- The increasing popularity of portable medical devices offers a significant growth opportunity for the primary battery market.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market, with majority of the demand coming from the countries such as the China and India.
Key Market Trends
Primary Alkaline Battery to Dominate the Market
- The primary alkaline battery is expected to dominate the market in 2019 and is expected to continue its dominance over the forecast period. These types of batteries have high specific energy and are cost-effective, environment-friendly, and leak-proof, even when fully discharged. Alkaline can be stored for up to 10 years, has a good safety record, and can be carried on an aircraft without being subject to the United Nations transport and other regulations.
- Alkaline batteries offer higher energy output, longer shelf life, and lasts longer than carbon-zinc batteries, and have emerged as a replacement for carbon-zinc batteries, since 1960.
- Over the years, the North American and European regions have accounted for the major demand for alkaline batteries. However, owing to factors, such as the shift from carbon-zinc batteries, the demand for alkaline batteries in Asia-Pacific and South America is expected to remain high.
- There have been major advancements in alkaline cell performance over the recent decades. These advancements have been a result of changes in packaging and manufacturing techniques, rather than any improvements to the basic chemical system.
- Moreover, alkaline batteries are environment-friendly, which can be disposed as trash. Also, they do not require active collection and recycling. However, the batteries that were made are mercury-free and hence, do not pose any environmental pollution or hazard on disposal. This creates a positive demand for these batteries, since other rechargeable consumer batteries need to be properly collected and recycled.
- Therefore, based on these factors, primary alkaline battery is likely to witness significant demand over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to account for the largest share in 2019. The region is expected to continue its dominance in the forecast period as well.
- On a country level, China dominated the entire global battery market for a very long time and is expected to maintain the leading position in the market during the forecast period as well. China's rise as a manufacturing powerhouse and its bullish consumer electronic product manufacturing growth are expected to drive the growth of the primary battery market in the country soon.
- Sale of primary batteries is anticipated to increase strongly, but a slower rate than secondary batteries, through 2019. Further, alkaline batteries are expected to strengthen their dominance in the primary battery market, and continue to witness the fastest growth, primarily due to the growing demand for zinc-based batteries. Alkaline batteries are favored for their higher power and a longer lifespan than zinc-carbon/chloride batteries.
- Japan's purchasing parity has increased consistently during 2009-2017. The growing purchasing parity, combined with the introduction of the new primary battery powered electronic devices, has led to the growing demand for primary batteries for consumer electronics in Japan. The local manufacturers meet most of the demand for the batteries.
- India is the fifth largest country in the world in terms of military spending. Owing to geopolitical tensions with the neighboring countries, mainly Pakistan and China, India is expected to continue increasing its military spending during the forecast period, in turn driving the demand for primary batteries in the defense sector.
- Therefore, based on the demand coming from countries such as India, China, and Japan, the Asia-Pacific region is likely to dominate the primary battery market over the forecast period.
The global primary battery market is highly fragmented. The key companies include Duracell Inc., Excell Battery Co., FDK Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Scope of the Study
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast, in USD billion, till 2025
- 4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4.5 Market Dynamics
- 4.5.1 Drivers
- 4.5.2 Restraints
- 4.6 Supply-Chain Analysis
- 4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Primary Alkaline Battery
- 5.1.2 Primary Lithium Battery
- 5.1.3 Other Types
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 Camelion Battery Co. Ltd
- 6.3.2 Duracell Inc.
- 6.3.3 Energizer Holdings Inc.
- 6.3.4 Excell Battery Co.
- 6.3.5 FDK Corporation
- 6.3.6 GP Batteries International Ltd
- 6.3.7 Panasonic Corporation
- 6.3.8 Saft Groupe SA
- 6.3.9 Spectrum Brands Holdings Inc. (Energizer Holdings Inc.)
- 6.3.10 Toshiba Corporation
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS