Product Code: 53847
The package testing market was valued at USD 8.72 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 20.44 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 10.2% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The packaging of consumable products has witnessed a drastic transformation over the past few decades, with a higher focus on enhancing the shelf life to reduce the costs associated with damaged goods. This emphasis has created a robust demand for effective package testing in the package testing market.
- Packaged and processed food & beverages are increasingly gaining prominence. With increased consumption of consumer goods and packaged food around the world, the industry is expected to expand.
- The global market for online retailing continues to grow rapidly, driven by penetration of the Internet and smartphones. Smithers with their insights expects that this will continue to increase through to 2028 and will see an increased demand for packaging solutions, especially in corrugated board formats to safely ship goods through the more complex distribution channels.
- The rising awareness for eco-friendly packaging, such as paper-based packaging solutions, has further driven the demand for package testing, to ensure that the integrity of the package is not compromised.
- However, the costs associated with the testing of packaging are quite high, making it harder for small-scale manufacturers and industries to invest in this process, thereby, hindering the growth of this market.
- Owing to the COVID-19 outbreak, food & beverage companies are developing response actions and effective plans to help mitigate their risk and prepare for how they would deal with the effects of the coronavirus. These plans include establishing an interdisciplinary crisis response team of personnel from all aspects of the business to identify, assess, and manage the risk presented.
Key Market Trends
Food and Beverage Accounts for Significant Share in the Market
- Advanced packaging methods, such as intelligent packaging, active, smart packaging, and modified atmosphere packaging, are replacing traditional methods, which have driven the need to effectively test these packaged goods.
- As products reach customers in the packaged form, their safety is an important concern; the presence of any toxic or damaging contaminant could affect the product itself. The presence of contaminants could decrease the quality of the product substantially, which emphasizes the importance of package testing in the market.
- The growth of packaged food is more prominently found in the developed economies of the United States and major European countries, such as Spain, France, and Russia. This emphasis has created a robust demand for effective package testing in the package testing market.
- The consumers of packaged food in the United States have an increased consumption due to convenience, saved time, easy to prep with minimal wastage indicated as the primary reason. According to the US Census Bureau, approximately 214.07 million Americans consumed canned, jarred or packaged fruit in 2019.
- Europe witnesses rising developments in areas such as digital watermarking in packaging to raise the prospect of making invisible methods of connectivity cheaper. Sales of organic food package consumption in Latin America Nation, Argentina are forecasted to reach USD 6.5 million in 2020, according to the Organic Trade Association.
Europe to Hold a Significant Market Share
- Packaging plays an essential part in protecting products. In Europe, goods can be moved with ease as a result of its open borders. The products are transported by road, sea, and air, due to which they are subject to several external parameters that could damage their overall quality. As a result, several companies tend to test their packaging before using them on their products.
- According to FoodDrinkEurope, in 2018, the food and beverage industry had a turnover of EUR 1,109 billion, making it the largest manufacturing sector in the European Union. According to the German Federation of the Organic Food Industry (BOLW), in 2018, Germany's revenue of organic foods amounted to about EUR 10.9 billion. France had the second-largest market, with sales reaching EUR 9 billion.
- Additionally, According to the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, Poland's food processing industry is experiencing a healthy growth on account of increased exports, which is expected to create additional demand for packaging. The Polish Chamber of Packaging (PIO) stated that on account of rising demand from the food sector, demand for packaging grew by 6.5% in 2018.
- In addition, the increasing consumption of spirits, wine, and beer in the region is also contributing to the growth of beverage packaging, which is driving the market. For instance, According to the Office for National Statistics (UK), consumer spending on alcoholic beverages increased to GBP 21,097 million in 2018 from GBP 19,799 million in 2017.
The Package Testing Market is highly fragmented due to low entry barriers. The Package Testing Market key players include DDL Inc., Intertek Group, SGS SA, and Eurofins Scientific SE, among others.
- January 2020 - Intertek Group plc announced the launch of its innovative Total Sustainability Assurance programme in India, delivering companies with an industry-leading, independent assurance solution enabling them to demonstrate their end-to-end commitment to sustainability.
- April 2019 - DDL announced that the Cryopak Testing Center, a 6,000 square foot independent laboratory located at Cryopak's Headquarters in Edison, NJ, has been rebranded as a DDL testing laboratory offering package testing across environmental conditioning, distribution simulation, integrity and strength testing, thermal performance, and shelf life testing.
- February 2019 - Bureau Veritas along with Microsoft, announced to develop the use of artificial intelligence in the testing activities, while consolidating its technical approach by creating a data lab bringing together Bureau Veritas' experts in AI.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Rigorous Control Regulations and Administration and Qualification Demands
- 4.2.2 Demand for Longer Shelf Life of Products Under Varying Conditions and Growing Demand for Packaged and Sustainable Products
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 High Costs Associated with Package Testing
- 4.4 Porters Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.5 Technology Snapshot
- 4.5.1 Package Integrity Testing
- 4.5.2 Package Strength Testing
- 4.5.3 Package Shelf Life Studies
- 4.5.4 Package Validation
- 4.6 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
- 4.7 Industry Policies
- 4.7.1 ASTM Standards
- 4.7.2 ISO Standards
- 4.7.3 STA Standards
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Primary Material
- 5.1.1 Glass
- 5.1.2 Paper
- 5.1.3 Plastic
- 5.1.4 Metal
- 5.2 By Type
- 5.2.1 Drop Test
- 5.2.2 Vibration Test
- 5.2.3 Shock Test
- 5.2.4 Temperature Testing
- 5.2.5 Other Types (Compression Testing, Shelf Life Testing,Atmospheric Temperature Testing)
- 5.3 By End-user Industry
- 5.3.1 Food and Beverage
- 5.3.2 Industrial
- 5.3.3 Healthcare
- 5.3.4 Household and Personal Care Products
- 5.3.5 Other End-user Industries
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.4.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Intertek Group PLC
- 6.1.2 Eurofins Scientific SE
- 6.1.3 SGS SA
- 6.1.4 Bureau Veritas SA
- 6.1.5 TUV SUD AG
- 6.1.6 Campden BRI
- 6.1.7 Institute for Product Quality GmbH
- 6.1.8 Cryopak (Integreon Global)
- 6.1.9 Turner Packaging Limited
- 6.1.10 Nefab Group
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET