Product Code: 69390
The Global Metal Magnesium Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Magnesium is used in automotive and electronics end-use industries to produce products like car seats, luggage, laptops, cameras, and power tools that benefit from being lightweight. It's also used to remove sulfur from molten iron and steel. The COVID-19 has badly impacted the automobile and electronics industries around the world thus decreasing the meta magnesium market. The North-America region produced 13.37 million vehicles in the year 2020, a 20.5% decrease compared to the previous year 2019. Also, the Asia-Pacific region produced 44.28 million vehicles in 2020, a 10.2% decrease in production amounted to 49.33 million in the year 2019.
- Over the medium term, the growing demand for magnesium for alloying with other metals is the major factor driving the market growth of metal magnesium.
- On the flip side, the decline in the automotive industry and the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to hinder market growth.
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the market and is expected to dominate in the future.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Application to Dominate the Market
- One of the major applications of primary magnesium is in manufacturing automotive parts. Some of the major examples of automotive parts made using magnesium metal are gearbox, front end, and IP beams, steering column and driver's airbag housings, steering wheels, seat frames, and fuel tank covers. Over the past few years, many large automotive companies have already replaced steel and aluminum with magnesium in various parts of their products to decrease the weight of the vehicle.
- However, after an encouraging term of growth in the automotive sector during the past decade, the momentum has slowed down over recent years. Sales of new vehicles are going down in various parts of the world, including Europe and the United States. This has affected the previously growing automotive production in most countries.
- According to OICA, in 2020, 55.8 million passenger cars and 21.78 million commercial vehicles were produced across the world. A total of 77.62 million vehicles were produced in 2020 which is lower by 16% over 2019.
- In 2020, all the top automotive producing countries in the world, China, United States, India, Germany, Japan, and Mexico have seen a decline in production by 2%, 19%, 25%, 24%, 17%, 21% respectively compared to the previous year 2019.
- The Chinese automotive manufacturing industry is the largest in the world. The industry witnessed a huge slowdown in 2019, wherein the production and sales declined. A similar trend continued in 2020, with the production witnessing a 2% decrease from 2019 with a production of 25.2 million total vehicles.
- The automotive industry is also declining due to changes in the consumer mindset and to have savings to help in hard times like COVID-19.
- However, the electric vehicles segment in China is increasing thus increasing the market, the electrical vehicle gaint company BYD announced that it sold 28,841 electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids in December 2020, which corresponds to an increase of 120 per cent compared to December 2019 and an increase of 8 per cent compared to the previous month.
- Furthermore, the government of China is also offering tax exemption for EVs. In April 2020, the Ministry of Finance of the People's Republic of China has issued a notice on ways to promote financial subsidies for new electric vehicles. It stated that new EVs purchased between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2022, would be exempted from vehicle purchase tax.
- United States, a leading producer of automobiles in North America also faced decline in the production of vehicles of which 8.82 million vehicles were produced in 2020 representing a decrease of 19% from the previous year.
- As of June 2020, the production of around 2,446,344 motor vehicles was lost due to a factory shutdown in Europe according to the European automobile manufacturers Association.
- Such factors are resulting in a decline in the automotive industry and thereby restraining the growth of the market studied.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- China possesses 27 proven magnesite deposits, making it one of the largest producers of magnesium in the world. In China, Shanxi Yinguang Magnesium Industry produces a large amount of magnesium and accounts for a huge chunk of domestic and export demand.
- In recent times, automobile and aerospace manufacturers in Asia-Pacific prefer magnesium in production processes for weight reduction to make better performance products.
- In India, the aerospace industry is growing significantly with the rising activities from both the defence and civil aviation sectors. With the increasing demand for large aircraft from Indian carriers such as SpiceJet and Indigo and the focus on Powered by Hour Contracts (PBH), many of India's aerospace services and manufacturing activities are expected to be carried out.
- According to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the Indian aerospace & defence (A&D) market is projected to reach ~USD 70 billion by 2030, driven by the burgeoning demand for advanced infrastructure and government thrust.
- The electronic industry, which has seen rapid growth in recent years, has also been using magnesium compounds in the casting process to make outer and interior parts. According to National Bureau of Statistics of China, in December 2020, retail sales of household appliances and consumer electronics in China had amounted to about 100 billion yuan.
- Most chemical companies in Asia-Pacific use magnesium in the desulphurization of steel and for other modern production processes.
- The increasing magnesium alloy usages and growing demand for magnesium from the manufacturing sector are expected to drive the metal magnesium market in the Asia-PAcific region in the future.
The metal magnesium market is partially consolidated in nature, with a few players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are ICL, US Magnesium LLC, Gossan Resources, Wenxi YinGuang Magnesium Industry (Group) Co., Ltd., and Latrobe Magnesium among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Demand for Alloying with Other Metals
- 4.1.2 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Decline of the Automotive Industry
- 4.2.2 Negative Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 End-user Industry
- 5.1.1 Automotive
- 5.1.2 Aerospace
- 5.1.3 Electronics
- 5.1.4 Sports
- 5.1.5 Medical
- 5.1.6 Other End-user Industries
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China
- 188.8.131.52 India
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.2 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 Germany
- 220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
- 18.104.22.168 Italy
- 22.214.171.124 France
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 ICL
- 6.4.2 Gossan Resources
- 6.4.3 Latrobe Magnesium
- 6.4.4 Nanjing Yunhai Special Metals Co. Ltd
- 6.4.5 WESTERN MAGNESIUM CORP.
- 6.4.6 RIMA Group
- 6.4.7 Wenxi YinGuang Magnesium Industry (Group) Co., Ltd.
- 6.4.8 Solikamsk Magnesium Works
- 6.4.9 Taiyuan Tongxiang
- 6.4.10 US Magnesium LLC
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS