Product Code: 69351
The Global Dimethylformamide Market is projected to register a CAGR of around 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenarios, several countries around the world went into lockdown to curb the spreading of virus. The demand for dimethylformamide from various applications such as chemical processing and solvents, textiles were severely affected due to halt in various industries such as construction, electrical and electronics, and others. Owing to all these aforementioned factors, dimethylformamide's market growth was negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. But, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thereby benefitting the growth of the market studied over the forecast period.
- Over the medium term, the factors driving the demand for the dimethylformamide market are the increasing number of industrial applications for DMF as the solvent and growing demand from the pharmaceutical sector.
- On the flip side, Due to rising health concerns as long exposure to dimethylformamide can cause health issues to human beings, and replacement by less harmful substitutes like Dimethyl sulfoxide is expected to hinder the market growth.
- However, increasing DMF usage in research labs is likely to provide opportunities for the studied market during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the global market owing to the highly developed chemical processing industries, pharmaceutical, and textile sectors in emerging economies such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from Chemical Industry
- The demand for Dimethylformamide (DMF) has been growing from the chemical industry owing to its increasing uses as a solvent, a chemical intermediate, and an additive.
- DMF is a commonly used solvent in polyurethane coatings, synthetic leathers, and artificial leather fabrics because it is highly soluble in nature, low volatility, and has a low evaporation rate.
- Dimethylformamide is also used as a solvent for many purposes, such as residue in synthetic leather, processing solvents, plastic, rubber, adhesives, and printing inks.
- DMF has extraordinary solvency parameters so that it can be used as a reaction and crystallization solvent for pharmaceutical purposes, and DMF is also for purification purposes in the pharmaceutical industry.
- In the petrochemical industry DMF is used for the purification of acetylene from ethylene and butadiene from C4 streams. Also for the separation of aromatics, which can be easily dissolved by DMF from aliphatic hydrocarbons. Those aliphatics are used in lube oils. Due to the high solubility of SO2 in DMF, exhaust combustion streams from high sulfur containing fuels can be purified with CO2 being recovered.
- Additionally, Inorganic and organic based residual fluxes are highly soluble in DMF; therefore this solvent is used as a cleaner, for instance to clean hot-dip tinned parts. DMF is also used as industrial paint stripper. This high solubility of inorganic substances also leads to the application of DMF in the production of high voltage capacitors.
- Increasing uses of solvents and intermediates, expanding textile industries, increasing medical technology and chemical processing sectors in developing countries are driving the demand for dimethylformamide used for various chemical manufacturing purposes through the years to come.
- The chemical industry plays an important role in the growth of the dimethylformamide market. Over the three years from 2021 to 2024, the industry is expected to grow in every segment, with overall industry growth expected to be 1.8 percent in 2024. Basic chemicals are expected to see the largest growth of any chemical segment, at a 2.1 percent forecast for 2024.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the global market owing to the highly developed chemical processing industries, pharmaceutical, and textile sectors.
- The textile industry has been using the DMF in the production of acrylic fibers and polyurethane products as well as in the manufacture of artificial leathers, films, and surface coatings. According to the International Trade Administration, Asia-Pacific is the largest market for the textile industry.
- Chemical processing industries such as agricultural, petrochemical, polymer and refining are majorly using dimethylformamide for various applications. India has now been ranked sixth among the world's 10 largest manufacturing countries. The petrochemical industry contributes about 30 percent of raw material to the chemical industry which is expected to reach USD 300 billion by 2025. The petrochemical industry itself is expected to cross the USD 100 billion by 2021 at a CAGR of 14%.
- Acrylic fibers are being used in sweaters, boots, hats, gloves, athletic wear, carpeting, blankets, protective clothing, wigs, and hair extensions. This increased the demand for dimethylformamide in the production of acrylic fibers.
- According to the Die Chemiefaserindustrie in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, China and India lead global fiber consumption in recent years.
- Dimethylformamide helps in the production of pesticides in agriculture, purification in petrochemical industries and used in inks and dyes in various printing and fiber-dying applications.
- The Indian chemicals industry stood at USD 178 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 304 billion by 2025 registering a CAGR of 9.3%. The demand for chemicals is expected to expand by 9% per annum by 2025. In September 2020, the production of key chemicals was 8,36,435 MT and petrochemicals was 17,26,502 MT.
- Also, the specialty chemicals constitute 22% of the total chemicals and petrochemicals market in India. The demand for specialty chemicals is expected to rise at a 12% CAGR in 2019-22. The petrochemicals demand is expected to record a 7.5% CAGR between 2019 and 2023, with polymer demand increasing at 8%. The agrochemicals market is expected to witness an 8% CAGR to reach USD 3.7 billion by FY22 and USD 4.7 billion by FY25.
- Increasing applications for industrial solvents and growing demand for laboratory research and development purposes in the region is expected to drive the market for dimethylformamide through the years to come.
The global dimethylformamide market is partially consolidated in nature with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are BASF SE, Eastman Chemical Company, Merck KGaA, Belle Chemical, and HELM AG, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Industrial Applications for DMF as Solvent
- 4.1.2 Growing Demand from Pharmaceutical Sector
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Higher Hazard Substance and Replacement by Other Substitutes
- 4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4.2.3 Other Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Application
- 5.1.1 Chemical Processing and Solvents
- 5.1.2 Pharmaceuticals
- 5.1.3 Textiles
- 5.1.4 Other Applications
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China
- 188.8.131.52 India
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.2 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 Germany
- 220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
- 18.104.22.168 France
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**/Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 BASF SE
- 6.4.2 Eastman Chemical Company
- 6.4.3 HELM AG
- 6.4.4 Jiutian Chemical Group Ltd.
- 6.4.5 Merck KGaA
- 6.4.6 Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company, Inc
- 6.4.7 Paari Chem Resources LLP
- 6.4.8 Pon Pure Chemicals Group
- 6.4.9 Belle Chemical
- 6.4.10 Zhejiang Jiangshan Chemical
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Increasing Usage of DMF in Research Labs
- 7.2 Other Opportunities