Product Code: 69528
The market for Medical Plastic globally is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5 % during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the increase in the demand for medical devices from the Asia-Pacific region and the growing usage of prosthetics. On the flip side, the environmental concerns regarding the disposal of medical plastics and the unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the market growth.
- The surgical instruments application is expected to dominate the global medical plastics market over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific region represents the largest market and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period owing to the increasing consumption from countries such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Surgical Instruments Application to Dominate the Market
- Engineering plastics have replaced wood in its application as a handle for surgical instruments. Being a non-hygroscopic material, these plastics can be used in place of wood or any other metal as a handle for surgical instruments.
- Another advantage of plastics is the ease of cleaning. Moreover, it has a dimensional accuracy and can be molded into any shape.
- Plastics can be used as a material for handles of surgical instruments, due to its high impact resistance and thermal stability. Further, this material needs low maintenance and less frequent sterilization.
- All the manufacturers are switching from metal and wood to engineering plastics like POM, due to its low price, superior performance, non-hygroscopic property, and good machinability.
- The market for surgical instruments is lucrative in emerging economies, due to growth in medical tourism, increasing disposable incomes of consumers, and increasing health awareness among people. With an increase in the surgical instruments market, the market for POM is also likely to increase at an almost equivalent rate, over the forecast period.
- The implementation of Da Vinci surgical system (robotic-assisted) may play a significant role in the surgical instruments industry, since it provides a platform for robotic-assisted surgeries, which use certain parts made with plastics.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market due to the increase in medical devices manufacturing in China, India, Japan, and ASEAN Countries.
- The steady increase in the economy of India and the mission to reach USD 5 trillion economies combined with a substantial increase in Foreign Direct Investment will result in an increased lifestyle of people. Thereby resulting in an increase in spending on healthcare. Double-digit growth in the medical devices industry can safely be estimated.
- Ayushman Bharat scheme whereby the Govt has planned to reach out to provide affordable healthcare to approx. 100 million families or 500 million individuals will greatly impact the medical plastic market.
- Japan has a good medical device manufacturing facility, and it exports the majority to other countries, recent revamps in the laws has given domestic manufacturers a big gain, relaxing some regulations.
- The population of Japan is increasingly tilted towards the elderlies, where 25% of the population has population of 65 or more. Therefore, the increase in govt spending will propel the medical device market.
- South Korea has been experiencing a boom in medical tourism and this may result in increasing medical plastics demand.
- Such factors are expected to contribute to the demand for medical plastics consumption during the forecast period.
The Medical Plastics market is fragmented with many major players competing globally. The major companies include Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, Rochling, Celanese Corporation, DuPont, and Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Medical Devices from the Asia-Pacific Region
- 4.1.2 Expanding Prosthetics Market
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Environmental Concerns Regarding Medical Plastics
- 4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Traditional Plastics
- 22.214.171.124 Polyethylene (PE)
- 126.96.36.199 Polypropylene (PP)
- 188.8.131.52 Polystyrene(PS)
- 184.108.40.206 Polyvinylchloride(PVC)
- 5.1.2 Engineer Plastics
- 220.127.116.11 Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- 18.104.22.168 Polycarbonate (PC)
- 22.214.171.124 Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA)
- 126.96.36.199 Polyetheretherketone (PEEK)
- 188.8.131.52 Polyoxymethylene (POM)
- 184.108.40.206 Polyphenylene Oxide (PPO)
- 220.127.116.11 Others
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Surgical instruments
- 5.2.2 Disposables
- 5.2.3 Diagnosis instruments
- 5.2.4 Sterilization trays
- 5.2.5 Anesthetic and imaging equipment
- 5.2.6 Others
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China
- 22.214.171.124 India
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States
- 18.104.22.168 Canada
- 22.214.171.124 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 Italy
- 220.127.116.11 France
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 MiddleEast and Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
- 220.127.116.11 South Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Celanese Corporation
- 6.4.2 Daicel Corporation
- 6.4.3 DuPont
- 6.4.4 Eastman Chemical Company
- 6.4.5 Ensinger
- 6.4.6 GW Plastics
- 6.4.7 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- 6.4.8 Nolato AB (publ)
- 6.4.9 NUSIL
- 6.4.10 Orthoplastics Ltd
- 6.4.11 Rochling SE & Co. KG
- 6.4.12 SABIC
- 6.4.13 Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics
- 6.4.14 Solvay
- 6.4.15 Sylvin Technologies
- 6.4.16 Teknor Apex
- 6.4.17 Westlake Plastics
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Increasing Investment in 3-D Printing and Imaging Technologies
- 7.2 Other Opportunities