Product Code: 69516
The Global Nitric Acid Market was valued at around USD 24 billion in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Nitric acid finds its application in the mining industry, as it is used to produce explosives such as trinitrotoluene (TNT), and other mining explosives. Considering the pandemic scenario, the mining activities were stopped temporarily during the lockdown in order to curb the spread of COVID-19, thus led to a decrease in the consumption of nitric acid-based mining explosives. Furthermore, nitric acid is used to manufacture nylon 6,6, which find its application in the manufacturing of automotive parts such as body panel, gears, and others. Owing to a decrease in the automotive manufacturing activities, the demand for auto parts based on nylon 6,6 had decreased during the lockdown, which in turn negatively impacted the demand for the market studied.
- Over the short term, the increasing demand for nitric acid from the fertilizer industry is expected to drive the market's growth.
- On the flipside, health-related hazards caused by nitric acid and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the growth of the market.
- Fertilizer is the dominant segment, in terms of demand, over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market across the globe with the largest consumption from countries such as China, Japan, and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Fertilizer Industry Segment
- Over 80% of nitric acid is used in manufacturing fertilizers. Fertilizers like ammonium nitrate and calcium ammonium nitrate are produced from nitric acid. To meeting the needs of the increasing global food demand, more arable land is required for cultivation, and hence, fertilizer demand is increasing with the global fertilizer industry expected to grow at a CAGR of about 5% during the forecast period.
- Demand for ammonium nitrate, a high nitrogenous fertilizer used as an oxidizing agent and made by combining ammonia with nitric acid, is also expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period.
- Calcium ammonium nitrate is manufactured by mixing molten ammonium nitrate and calcium carbonate at a temperature of around 170°C. It is hygroscopic in nature and can absorb moisture from the environment, thus calcium ammonium nitrate can be used in soil without sufficient water.
- According to the International Fertilizer Association (IAF), the global fertilizer demand was accounted for about 189.9 million tons in FY19 and reached about 184.4 million tons in FY20, with a decline rate of about 2.9%, thus led to a decrease in the consumption of ammonium nitrate and calcium ammonium nitrate from the fertilizer segment, which in turn negatively impacted the demand for the market studied.
- According to the Fertilizers Europe, the volume of nitrogen-based fertilizers used for agricultural purposes was accounted for 11.5 million tons in 2019, with a decline rate of about 2.5%, thereby negatively impacted the demand for the nitric acid market.
- However, the market is expected to recover in 2021 with the increasing activities in the sector, this will positively impact the market in the coming years.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the dominant market in nitric acid production, owing to the largest production and consumption of fertilizer in Asia-Pacific countries including China, India, etc.
- Asia-Pacific is also expected to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period, with increasing demand from end-user industries like fertilizers, inks, pigments and dyes, and the chemical manufacturing industries.
- The fertilizer industry in the Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period, ensuring regular demand for nitric acid to manufacture fertilizers such as ammonium nitrate and calcium nitrate to grow crops.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the sales volume of chemical fertilizers in China was accounted for about 53.83 million tons in 2019, registering a growth rate of about 1.9% compared to the previous year, thereby stimulated the demand for nitric acid market.
- Furthermore, according to the Department of Fertilisers of India, the retail sale of fertilizers in India was accounted for about 2.89 million tons in April 2020, with a growth of 45.1% compared to the same month of the previous year, thus led to an increase in the demand for nitric acid for the production of fertilizers such as ammonium nitrate, and others.
- Nitric acid is used as a raw material for inks, pigments, and dyes, which finds its major application in the textile industry. According to the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Textiles (CCCT), the Chinese textile and apparel exports was amounted to about USD 291.21 billion in 2020, with a growth rate of 9.5% year on year, thus led to an increase in the consumption of inks, pigments, and dyes, thereby stimulated the demand for the market studied.
- Nitric acid also has applications such as nylon precursors and cleaning agents in the chemical processing industry. It is also used for cleaning food and dairy equipment, mainly to remove precipitated magnesium and calcium compounds.
- Nitric acid is used as an oxidizing agent during the manufacturing of adipic acid from cyclohexanol and cyclohexanone. Furthermore, adipic acid is used to produce nylon 6,6. Owing to its corrosion resistance, mechanical strength, ductility, and thermal resistance properties, nylon 6,6 is an ideal substitute for metals in various applications of the automotive segment including gears, bushes, cams, bearings, weatherproof coatings, front-end modules, beams, and brackets, trunk lids, deck lids, body panels, and floor panels.
- China remained the global leader in the production of automobiles across the world. According to OICA, around 25.23 million vehicles were produced in China during 2020 compared to 25.75 million vehicles that were produced in 2019, witnessing a decline rate of about 2%, thereby negatively impacted the demand for the market studied.
- Nitric acid is used to produce explosives such as trinitrotoluene (TNT), nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin, and others, which are being used in mining applications. According to the Ministry of Mines of the Indian Government, mineral production (excluding atomic and fuel minerals) in India was valued at about USD 17.52 billion in FY19 and was estimated at USD 17.01 billion in FY20, with a decline rate of about 3%, thus led to a decrease in the consumption of nitric acid-derived explosives from the mining sector, which in turn negatively impacts the demand for the market studied.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to show a significant impact on the market in the coming years.
The global nitric acid market is fragmented in nature. The major companies of the market studied include BASF SE, Deepak Fertilisers and Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd. (DFPCL), LSB INDUSTRIES, Nutrien Ltd, and Yara, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of Study
2 Research Methodology
3 Executive Summary
4 Market Dynamics
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand from Fertilizers
- 4.1.2 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Impact of COVID-19
- 4.2.2 Health Hazards Caused by Nitric Acid
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Regulatory Policy Analysis
- 4.6 Trade Analysis
5 Market Segmentation
- 5.1 End-user Industry
- 5.1.1 Fertilizers
- 5.1.2 Aerospace
- 5.1.3 Inks, Pigments, and Dyes
- 5.1.4 Chemical Manufacturing
- 5.1.5 Explosives
- 5.1.6 Other End-user Industries
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China
- 22.214.171.124 India
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.2 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States
- 18.104.22.168 Mexico
- 22.214.171.124 Canada
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 France
- 220.127.116.11 Italy
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
- 220.127.116.11 United Arab Emirates
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 Competitive Landscape
- 6.1 Merger & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share**/Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 BASF SE
- 6.4.2 CF Fertilisers UK
- 6.4.3 Colombus Chemicals
- 6.4.4 Deepak Fertilisers and Petrochemicals Corporation Ltd. (DFPCL)
- 6.4.5 DuPont de Nemours Inc.
- 6.4.6 Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited (GNFC)
- 6.4.7 INEOS
- 6.4.8 LSB INDUSTRIES
- 6.4.9 MAXAMCORP HOLDING, SL
- 6.4.10 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- 6.4.11 Nutrien Ltd
- 6.4.12 Sasol LTD
- 6.4.13 Sinopec Nanjing Chemical Industries Co. Ltd (China Petrochemical Corporation)
- 6.4.14 Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd.
- 6.4.15 Vijay Gas Industry Pvt. Ltd.
- 6.4.16 Yara
7 Market Opportunities and Future Trends