Product Code: 69375
The market for polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) coated films is expected to register a CAGR of 4%, globally, during the forecast period. The major factors driving the market studied are the increasing demand for PVDC coated films in food packaging and their growing usage in pharmaceutical blister packaging. However, the high price bar of PVDC coated films and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak may hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The development of new technologies to recycle film structures involving PVDC is expected to offer various lucrative opportunities for the growth of the market.
- By application, the food packaging segment is expected to dominate the market, owing to the superior properties of PVDC coated films, such as high chemical resistance and inertness and low odor.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market across the world, with the largest consumption coming from China, Japan, and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application in Food Packaging and Pharmaceutical Blister Packaging
- Polyvinylidene chloride or PVDC is a clear and flexible synthetic thermoplastic produced by the polymerization of vinylidene chloride.
- It is optically clear with a high degree of gloss and has outstanding oxygen and moisture barrier properties comparable to metalized films. Also, PVDC is highly resistant to many chemicals, including grease and oil.
- PVDC coated films are used for packaging food, as they have low stretch and provide excellent bond strength and low water absorption. They also have good cling properties, making them ideal for food wrap applications.
- Pharmaceutical blister packaging made of PVDC coated films offers good resistance to water vapor and acts as an effective barrier for oxygen, due to which their application is increasing in blister packaging.
- India's packaging industry is the fifth largest in the world. As per the Plastics Industry Association of India, 2019, the Indian packaging industry is growing at about 22-25% per year.
- Hence, owing to the growing food delivery sector and pharmaceutical drug manufacturing, especially in Asia-Pacific, the demand for PVDC coated films is expected to increase over the forecast period (2020-2025).
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market for PVDC coated films during the forecast period. Due to the high demand from countries, like China, India, and Japan, the market for PVDC coated films has been growing.
- The largest producers of PVDC coated films are located in Asia-Pacific. Some of the leading companies in the production of PVDC coated films are Jindal Poly Films Limited, Unitika Ltd, Cosmo Films Ltd, Zhejiang FUTONG Plastics Packing Co. Ltd, and Perlen Packaging.
- PVDC coated films also find application in cosmetics packaging, flexible packaging, and labeling.
- As of May 2019, about 296 cold chain projects in the food processing industry*were approved in India, creating an increasing demand for PVDC coated films for packaging.
- The Chinese pharmaceutical industry, valued at about USD *145 billion in 2020, represents the biggest emerging market, with growth projected to reach about ~USD 200 billion by 2022, thus increasing the scope of the market over the coming years.
- The aforementioned factors, coupled with government support, may contribute toward the increasing demand for PVDC coated films during the forecast period.
The polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) coated films market is fragmented, with players accounting for a marginal share in the market. Some of the major companies include Polinas, Jindal Poly Films Limited, Unitika Ltd, Cosmo Films Ltd, and Perlen Packaging AG.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand in Food Packaging
- 4.1.2 Growing Usage in Pharmaceutical Blister Packaging
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 High Price Bar of PVDC Coated Films
- 4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Film Substrate Type
- 5.1.1 Bi-axially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP)
- 5.1.2 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
- 5.1.3 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- 5.1.4 Other Film Substrate Types
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Food Packaging
- 5.2.2 Pharmaceutical Blister Packaging
- 5.2.3 Cosmetics Packaging
- 5.2.4 Flexible Packaging
- 5.2.5 Labeling
- 5.2.6 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China
- 188.8.131.52 India
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 Germany
- 220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
- 18.104.22.168 France
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 ACG
- 6.4.2 Cosmo Films Ltd
- 6.4.3 Innovia Films
- 6.4.4 Jindal Poly Films Limited
- 6.4.5 Kaveri Metallising & Coating Ind. Private Limited
- 6.4.6 Perlen Packaging AG
- 6.4.7 POLINAS
- 6.4.8 Unitika Ltd
- 6.4.9 Vibac Group SpA
- 6.4.10 Zhejiang Futong Plastics Packaging Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Development of New Technologies to Recycle Film Structures Involving PVDC