The future of the global video game market looks promising with opportunities in the smartphone, tablet, PC, and console market. The global video game market is expected to reach an estimated $215.1 billion by 2027 with a CAGR of 7% from 2021 to 2027. The major drivers for this market are increasing growth of smartphones and easy availability of games on the internet.
Emerging trends, which have a direct impact on the dynamics of the industry, include development of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) products such as head mounted displays (HMD) and head-up displays (HUD) and development of game based learning for academics and skill development.
A total of 111 figures / charts and 96 tables are provided in this 202-page report to help in your business decisions. Sample figures with insights are shown below. To learn the scope of benefits, companies researched, and other details of the video game market report, please download the report brochure.
In this market, smartphone is the largest device type, whereas shooting game is the largest market by genre type.
The study includes a forecast for the global video game market by device type, genre type, platform type, gamer type, age group, and region as follows:
By Device Type [$B shipment analysis from 2016 to 2027]:
- Others (Gameboy, Handheld Device, Parlor Games)
By Genre [$B shipment analysis from 2016 to 2027]:
- Others (Casual Games, Party Games, Simulation Games)
By Platform Type [$B shipment analysis from 2016 to 2027]:
By Gamer Type [$B shipment analysis from 2016 to 2027]:
By Age Group [$B shipment analysis from 2016 to 2027]:
- Age 10-20
- Age 21-35
- Age 36-50
- Age 51-60
By Region [$B shipment analysis for 2016 - 2027]:
- North America
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- The Rest of the World
Some of the video game companies profiled in this report include Sony, Tencent, Microsoft, Netease, Activation Blizzard, Goggle, Electronic Arts, Nintendo, and Bandai Namco.
Lucintel forecasts that shooter game is expected to remain the largest segment due to increasing interest towards action packed video games across all age groups. The constantly developing graphics quality that delivers real life like mission along with a platform to have an ultimate gaming experience, is driving the market for shooter games.
Smartphone will remain the largest and highest growing segment due to increasing smartphone user in emerging nations.
Asia Pacific will remain the largest region and it is also expected to witness the highest growth over the forecast period due to significant improvement of broadband Internet in this region. Growing internet has enabled a steady rise in the online video game market, as it allow gamers to experience this well liked category of games with a high-speed internet connection.
Features of the Video Game Market
- Market Size Estimates:Video game market size estimation in terms of value ($M)
- Trend And Forecast Analysis:Market trends (2016-2021) and forecast (2022-2027) by various segments and regions.
- Segmentation Analysis:Video game market size by various segments, such as device, genre, age group, platform type, gamer type in terms of value
- Regional Analysis:Video game market breakdown by North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World.
- Growth Opportunities:Analysis on growth opportunities in different device, genre, age group, platform type, gamer type, and regions for the video game market.
- Strategic Analysis:This includes M&A, new product development, and competitive landscape for the video game market.
- Analysis of competitive intensity of the industry based on Porter's Five Forces model.
This report answers following 11 key questions
- Q.1 What are some of the most promising, high-growth opportunities for the global video game market by device type (smartphone, tablet, PC, console, and others), by genre (shooter, action, sports, role-playing, adventure, racing, strategy, and others), by platform type (online and offline), by gamer type(extreme and casual), by age group(age 10-20, age 21-35, age 36-50, age 51-65) and by region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World)?
- Q. 2 Which segments will grow at a faster pace and why?
- Q.3 Which regions will grow at a faster pace and why?
- Q.4 What are the key factors affecting market dynamics? What are the drivers and challenges of the market?
- Q.5 What are the business risks and threats to the market?
- Q.6 What are emerging trends in this market and the reasons behind them?
- Q.7 What are some changing demands of customers in the market?
- Q.8 What are the new developments in the market? Which companies are leading these developments?
- Q.9 Who are the major players in this market? What strategic initiatives are being implemented by key players for business growth?
- Q.10 What are some of the competitive products and processes in this area and how big of a threat do they pose for loss of market share via material or product substitution?
- Q.11 What M & A activities have taken place in the last 5 years in this market?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Background and Classifications
- 2.1: Introduction, Background, and Classification
- 2.2: Supply Chain
- 2.3: Industry Drivers and Challenges
3. Market Trends and Forecast Analysis from 2016 to 2027
- 3.1: Macroeconomic Trends and Forecast
- 3.2: Global Video Game Market Trends and Forecast
- 3.3: Global Video Game Market by Device Type
- 3.3.1: Smartphone
- 3.3.2: Tablet
- 3.3.3: PC
- 3.3.4: Console
- 3.3.5: Others
- 3.4: Global Video Game Market by Genre
- 3.4.1: Shooter Games
- 3.4.2: Action Games
- 3.4.3: Sports Games
- 3.4.4: Role-Playing Games
- 3.4.5: Adventure Games
- 3.4.6: Racing Games
- 3.4.7: Strategy Games
- 3.4.8: Others
- 3.5: Global Video Game Market by Age Group
- 3.5.1: Age Group 10-20
- 3.5.2: Age Group 21-35
- 3.5.3: Age Group 36-50
- 3.5.4: Age Group 51-65
- 3.6: Global Video Game Market by Platform Type
- 3.6.1: Offline Games
- 3.6.2: Online Games
- 3.7: Global Video Game Market by Gamer Type
- 3.7.1: Extreme Gamers
- 3.7.2: Casual Gamers
4. Market Trends and Forecast Analysis by Region
- 4.1: Global Video Game Market by Region
- 4.2: North American Video Game Market
- 4.2.1: Market by Device Type: Smartphone, Tablet, PC, Console, and Others
- 4.2.2: Market by Genre: Shooter, Action, Sports, Role-Playing, Adventure, Racing, Strategy, and Others
- 4.2.3: United States Video Game Market
- 4.2.4: Canadian Video Game Market
- 4.2.5: Mexican Video Game Market
- 4.3: European Video Game Market
- 4.3.1: Market by Device Type: Smartphone, Tablet, PC, Console, and Others
- 4.3.2: Market by Genre: Shooter, Action, Sports, Role-Playing, Adventure, Racing, Strategy, and Others
- 4.3.3: German Video Game Market
- 4.3.4: United Kingdom Video Game Market
- 4.3.5: French Video Game Market
- 4.4: APAC Video Game Market
- 4.4.1: Market by Device Type: Smartphone, Tablet, PC, Console, and Others
- 4.4.2: Market by Genre: Shooter, Action, Sports, Role-Playing, Adventure, Racing, Strategy, and Others
- 4.4.3: Chinese Video Game Market
- 4.4.4: Japanese Video Game Market
- 4.4.5: South Korean Video Game Market
- 4.5: ROW Video Game Market
- 4.5.1: Market by Device Type: Smartphone, Tablet, PC, Console, and Others
- 4.5.2: Market by Genre: Shooter, Action, Sports, Role-Playing, Adventure, Racing, Strategy, and Others
- 4.5.3: Brazilian Video Game Market
- 4.5.4: Turkish Video Game Market
5. Competitor Analysis
- 5.1: Product Portfolio Analysis
- 5.2: Geographical Reach
- 5.3: Porter's Five Forces Analysis
6. Growth Opportunities and Strategic Analysis
- 6.1: Growth Opportunity Analysis
- 6.1.1: Growth Opportunities for the Global Video Game Market by Device
- 6.1.2: Growth Opportunities for the Global Video Game Market by Genre
- 6.1.3: Growth Opportunities for the Global Video Game Market by Platform Type
- 6.1.4: Growth Opportunities for the Global Video Game Market by Gamer Type
- 6.1.5: Growth Opportunities for the Global Video Game Market by Region
- 6.2: Emerging Trends of the Global Video Game Market
- 6.3: Strategic Analysis
- 6.3.1: New Product Development
- 6.3.2: Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures in the Global Video Game Market
7. Company Profiles of Leading Players
- 7.1: Sony
- 7.2: Tencent Holdings Limited
- 7.3: Apple Inc.
- 7.4: Microsoft
- 7.5: NetEase
- 7.6: Activision Blizzard
- 7.7: Google
- 7.8: Electronic Arts
- 7.9: Nintendo Company Limited
- 7.10: BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc.