Juniper's research into the ‘IoT Roaming market’ provides expert analysis for market stakeholders in preparing for the exponential increase of IoT devices. It addresses the challenges that need to be addressed to evolve IoT roaming services into mass usage.
The research evaluates alternative approaches to launching roaming services for IoT devices, including pricing, business models and legislation. It includes market trends and the future outlook for stakeholders, alongside vendor analysis and Leaderboard positioning for IoT network vendors.
- Juniper Leaderboard & Vendor Analysis: Key player capability and capacity assessment, together with Juniper's Leaderboard vendor positioning, evaluating the following companies:
- Cisco Jasper
- M2M Intelligence
- M2M Security SIMs
- Starhome Mach
- Stream Technologies
- Wireless Logic
- Market Landscape Analysis: An assessment of market sub-segments, allied with an evaluation of business models and measures that stakeholders must consider. Key areas assessed include:
- Permanent Roaming
- Device Discovery
- Network Architecture
- IoT Roaming Security
- The Embedded SIM
- EU Legislation Analysis: In-depth analysis of EU regulatory impact on mobile roaming adoption, usage and revenue.
- Wireless IoT Network Analysis: Analysis of the roaming capabilities of wireless technologies including NB-IoT, Sigfox and LoRaWAN
- 1. How can roaming vendors capitalise on IoT roaming?
- 2. What is the current state of IoT roaming regulations?
- 3. What strategies need to be implemented to ensure IoT roaming viability?
- 4. What challenges do operators face in the IoT roaming market?
- 5. What legislative changes need to be addressed to advance the market?
- Interviewed: KnowRoaming, Syniverse.
- Profiled: Arkessa, Cisco Jasper, KnowRoaming, M2M Intelligence, M2M Security SIMs, Mobileum, Starhome MACH, Stream Technologies, Syniverse, Telit, UROS, Wireless Logic.
- Case Studied: LoRa Alliance.
- Mentioned: 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project), Actility, Apple, Audax, BEREC (Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications), CrossBridge Solutions, Dell, EE, Ericsson, Facebook, Gemalto, GlobalConnect, Google, GSMA, GTE, HERE, HP, Huawei, iBasis, Inmarsat, Intel, JT (Jersey Telecom), KPN, Manx Telecom, Motorola, Navman Wireless OEM Solutions, Netflix, O2, Rogers Wireless, Sagemcom, Sierra Wireless, Telefonica, Telna, Vodafone.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to IoT Roaming
- 1.1. The Need for IoT Roaming
- 1.1.1. Introduction to Mobile Roaming
- Figure 1.1: Operator Billed Mobile Roaming Revenues 2014-2016
- 1.1.2. The Growth of the IoT (Internet of Things)
- Figure 1.2: Total Connected IoT Units (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2021
- 1.1.3. Declining Operator Billed Revenues
- Figure 1.3: Declining ARPUs (Average Revenue per User) Split by 8 Key Regions 2011-2016
- Figure & Table 1.4: Base Line Analysis of Global Mobile Subscriber Growth, ARPU & Operator-Billed Service Revenues 2015-2022
- 1.2. IoT Roaming: Market Landscape Analysis
- 1.2.1. Recent Market Movements
- i. UROS Partners with iBasis, February 2017
- ii. Starhome Mach Releases IDA (Inter-operator Traffic Data Analytics) Platform March 2017
- 1.2.2. IoT Traffic Pricing
- 1.2.3. Architecture Standardization
- 1.2.4. IoT Device Discovery
- 1.2.5. Permanently Roaming Devices
- 1.2.6. IoT Roaming Security
- 1.3. eSlMs in IoT Roaming
- Figure 1.5: Juniper M2M Roadmap
- 1.3.1. The Future of the eSlM
- Figure 1.6: Juniper Phased Evolution Model-The eSlM
- 1.3.2. Operator Attitudes to eSlMs
2. IoT Roaming: Business Models & Future Opportunities
- 2.1. IoT Roaming: The Operator Viewpoint
- 2.1.1. The NB-IoT Landscape
- i. Case Study: LoRaWAN Roaming
- 2.1.2. NB-IoT Alternatives
- 2.1.3. EU Roaming Legislation
- i. Introducing a FUP (Fair Usage Policy)
- 2.1.4. IoT Roaming: the Vendor Viewpoint
- 2.2. Operator Roaming IoT Opportunities
- Figure 2.1: Total Number of M2M SIMs in Service (m), Split by 7 Key Sectors 2017-2021
- 2.3. IoT Roaming Operator Business Models
- 2.3.1. Tackling the Permanent Roaming Issue
- 2.3.2. Fully Utilize Roaming Vendors
- 2.3.3. Operator Monetization Strategies: Value-based vs Volume-based
- 2.3.4. Pricing Models must be Data Traffic Dependent, however Value-added Service will remain Key to IoT Roaming Revenue Success
3. IoT Roaming: The Competitive Landscape
- 3.1. The IoT Roaming Competitive Landscape
- 3.2. Vendor Analysis
- 3.2.1. Vendor Assessment Criteria
- Table 3.1: Vendor Capability Assessment Factor -IoT Roaming Vendor
- Figure 3.2: Juniper Leaderboard -IoT Roaming Vendors
- Table 3.3: Juniper Heatmap Results - IoT Roaming Vendors
- 3.2.2. Vendor Grouping & Player Analysis - IoT Roaming Network Vendors
- i. Established Leaders
- ii. Leading Challengers
- iii. Disruptors & Emulators
- 3.3. Limitations &Interpretations