Product Code: GDRTIT-TR-S001
Imagine a world where an airplane can detect a fault in one of its engines in mid-flight and radio ahead to order spare parts without any pilot intervention. Or where your fridge can detect you are running out of milk and order it while you are asleep. Or where your home thermostat automatically lowers the temperature when you leave the house and raises it the moment you return. The "Internet of Things" (IoT) refers to a world where various devices are connected to the internet with a view to automating more of our lives, saving energy, making industrial processes run more efficiently, etc.
We are still early in this technology cycle. As yet, there are no common standards, so it is difficult to predict any long-term winners and losers. However, executives need to understand IoT because it will soon morph into a mega theme. Inside, our analysis offers a framework in which to look at IoT, summarizes the important trends and identifies the key players.
This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our "thematic engine". About our Thematic Research Ecosystem -
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData's thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData's "thematic engine" help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
Reasons to buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- PLAYERS 3
- TRENDS 4
- Technology trends in IoT 4
- IoT trends in retail 9
- VALUE CHAIN 12
- Device layer 13
- Connectivity Layer 14
- Data Layer 17
- App Layer 18
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS 20
- The standards battle 20
- Market size and growth forecasts 24
- The four stages of IoT development 28
- Competitive analysis 28
- Mergers and acquisitions 29
- Timeline 32
- IMPACT OF IOT ON RETAIL 34
- Retail case studies 35
- Key recommendations for retailers 37
- Key recommendations for IT vendors 38
- COMPANIES SECTION 39
- Public tech companies 39
- Private tech companies 44
- Retail companies 46
- TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING 49
- The six big IoT market segments 49
- Navigating the IoT value chain 51
- GLOSSARY 52
- APPENDIX: OUR "THEMATIC" RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 53