Product Code: GDME1104CFR
Spinal fusion surgery is a well-established procedure that has been performed since the early 1900s. The procedure has benefited immensely from its long history of use, investments in advancing technologies, and its clinical success in a growing variety of spinal conditions. These traits have led spinal fusion surgery to become one of the most frequently performed surgeries in the US, which is undoubtedly, the largest geographic market for this procedure. Given the global phenomenon of an aging society and the associated increasing incidences of degenerative spinal conditions, the spinal fusion market is expected to remain strong over the forecast period.
The fastest growing segment within the spinal fusion market will be spinal plating systems, with a CAGR of 5.60%. The US pedicle screw systems market and the US interbody cages market will grow at similar rates over the forecast period.
- An overview of Spinal Fusion, which includes epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized the US Spinal Fusion market revenue and future forecasts from 2011 to 2013, forecast for 7 years to 2020.
- Investigation of current and future market competition for Spinal Fusion.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges as well as predicted impact of key events.
- Competitor assessment including device approval analysis and device sales forecasts.
- Marketed and pipeline product profiles covering efficiency, safety, clinical study details, device approvals, product positioning and device sales forecast.
- Analysis of unmet needs within the market and opportunities for future players.
- Technology trends evaluation to assess strength of pipeline.
- An overview of all devices in development including clinical study details, design and material selection considerations, efficacy reports, and device approval timelines.
- Company profiles including business description, financial overview and SWOT analysis.
- Coverage of key market players.
- Strategic assessment of the Spinal Fusion sector through market impact analysis, future market scenario and company analysis.
- Direct quotes from Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) as well as doctors
Reasons to buy
- Understand the trends shaping and driving the US Spinal Fusion market.
- Realize device preferences of physicians who have performed the tests already.
- Access market sizing, forecasts and quantified growth opportunities in the US Spinal Fusion market through 2018.
- Quantify candidate patient populations to better design product pricing & launch plans.
- Drive revenues, formulate effective sales and marketing strategies and gain in-depth understanding of the competitive landscape.
- Perform benchmarking analysis of growth opportunities against currently marketed products.
- Assess competitiveness of products in market by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of current competition.
- Take a comprehensive look at the market's device pipeline and identify promising, paradigm-shifting products.
- Create an effective counter-strategy to gain a competitive advantage against those currently in the market.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the best opportunities for growth.
- What's the next big thing in the US Spinal Fusion market landscape? Identify, understand and capitalize.
Table of Contents
1. Table of Contents
- 1.1. List of Tables
- 1.2. List of Figures
- 2.1. Overview
- 2.2. Catalyst
3. Industry Overview
- 3.1. Indications
- 3.2. Types of Devices
- 3.2.1. Spinal Plating Systems
- 3.2.2. Interbody Cages
- 3.2.3. Pedicle Screw Systems
- 3.3. Procedure Trends
- 3.4. Market Access
- 3.4.1. Regulation
- 3.4.2. Adoption
- 3.4.3. Reimbursement Trends
4. Market Dynamics: Mergers, Acquisitions and Key Partnerships
- 4.1. Overview
- 4.1.1. Amedica Corporation Acquires US Spine
- 4.1.2. Alphatec Spine Acquires Scient'x Group
- 4.1.3. Biomet Acquires Lanx, Inc.
- 4.1.4. Globus Medical Acquires Facet Solutions
- 4.1.5. Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation Acquires SeaSpine, Inc.
- 4.1.6. Medtronic Acquires Advanced Medical Technologies and China's Kanghui
- 4.1.7. Nuvasive Acquires ANC
- 4.1.8. TranS1 Inc. Acquires Baxano Inc.
- 4.2. Economic Impact
5. Unmet Needs
- 5.1. Improved Reimbursement Coverage for Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- 5.2. Lack of Definitive Methods to Determine Fusion Performance
- 5.3. Technological Developments in the Use of Long Fusions
- 5.4. Research and Development into Fusion Enhancers
- 5.5. Improve Osseointegration of Bone and Screw Interface
6. Market Opportunity Analysis
- 6.1. Develop Signature Minimally Invasive Technique
- 6.2. Market Minimally Invasive Training Opportunities to Fellowship Programs
- 6.3. Increased Collaboration of Medical Device Implants and Biologics
- 6.4. Develop a Device that Provides Real-Time Fusion Updates
- 6.5. Increased Customization of Spinal Implants to Patient Anatomy
7. Market Drivers
- 7.1. Aging Patient Populations
- 7.2. Growth in the Spinal Stenosis Indication
- 7.3. Gold Standard for Treating Spinal Instability and Degenerative Conditions
- 7.4. Treatment for a Variety of Indications
- 7.5. Preference for Minimally Invasive Techniques
- 7.6. Advances in Navigation Technology
8. Market Barriers
- 8.1. Incidence of Adjacent Segment Disease
- 8.2. Performance of Non-Fusion Technologies
- 8.3. Increased Scrutiny over Spinal Fusion's Necessity in the US
- 8.4. Restricted Reimbursement from Private Payers
- 8.5. Performance in Treating Axial Back Pain
9. Pipeline Assessment
10. Clinical Trial Analysis
11. Current and Future Players
- 11.1. Overview
- 11.2. Trends in Corporate Strategy
- 11.3. Company Profiles
- 11.3.1. Aesculap
- 11.3.2. Alphatec Spine
- 11.3.3. Amedica Corporation
- 11.3.4. Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- 11.3.5. DePuy Spine
- 11.3.6. Globus Medical
- 11.3.7. K2M
- 11.3.8. Biomet
- 11.3.9. Stryker
- 11.3.10. Zimmer
- 11.3.11. Nuvasive
- 11.3.12. Orthofix
- 11.3.13. Integra LifeSciences
12. Market Outlook
- 12.1. Company Market Share
- 12.2. US
- 13.1. Bibliography
- 13.2. Abbreviations
- 13.3. Report Methodology
- 13.3.1. Overview
- 13.3.2. Coverage
- 13.3.3. Primary Research
- 13.3.4. Secondary Research
- 13.3.5. Forecasting Methodology
- 13.4. Key Opinion Leaders Included in this Study
- 13.5. About the Authors
- 13.5.1. Joseph A. Gregory, Analyst, Surgical Devices
- 13.5.2. Derek Archila, MBA, Director of Research and Analysis, Medical Devices
- 13.6. Global Head of Healthcare
- 13.6.1. Bonnie Bain, Ph.D., Global Head of Healthcare
- 13.7. About MediPoint
- 13.8. About GlobalData
- 13.9. Disclaimer
List of Tables
- Table 1: Indications for Lumbar Spinal Fusion
- Table 2: Adoption of Spinal Fusion and Spinal Non-Fusion, US, 2013 and 2020
- Table 3: Mergers & Acquisitions, 2010-2014
- Table 4: Population Aged 60 Years Old or Over, 1950-2050 (in millions) (percentage in older ages)
- Table 5: Overall Perceived Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgery Techniques, 2007
- Table 6: Overall Perceived Limitations of Minimally Invasive Surgery Techniques, 2007
- Table 7: Company Portfolio - Aesculap
- Table 8: Product Portfolio - Aesculap
- Table 9: Company Portfolio - Alphatec Spine
- Table 10: Product Portfolio - Alphatec Spine
- Table 11: Company Portfolio - Amedica
- Table 12: Product Portfolio - Amedica
- Table 13: Company Portfolio - Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- Table 14: Product Portfolio - Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- Table 15: Company Portfolio - DePuy Spine
- Table 16: Product Portfolio - DePuy Spine
- Table 17: Company Portfolio - Globus Medical
- Table 18: Product Portfolio - Globus Medical
- Table 19: Company Portfolio - K2M
- Table 20: Product Portfolio - K2M
- Table 21: Company Portfolio - Biomet
- Table 22: Product Portfolio - Biomet
- Table 23: Company Portfolio - Stryker
- Table 24: Product Portfolio - Stryker
- Table 25: Company Portfolio - Zimmer
- Table 26: Product Portfolio - Zimmer
- Table 27: Company Portfolio - Nuvasive
- Table 28: Product Portfolio - Nuvasive
- Table 29: Company Portfolio - Orthofix
- Table 30: Product Portfolio - Orthofix
- Table 31: Company Portfolio - Integra LifeSciences
- Table 32: Product Portfolio - Integra LifeSciences
- Table 33: Spinal Surgery, US Company Market Share, 2012
- Table 34: US Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
List of Figures
- Figure 1: Spinal Fusion Procedure Volumes, US, 2011-2020
- Figure 2: Adoption of Spinal Implants for the Fusion Procedures, US, 2013
- Figure 3: Spinal Fusion Procedure Volumes, US, 2002-2011
- Figure 4: Spinal Surgery, US Company Market Share, 2012
- Figure 5: US Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020