Product Code: GDTT-TR-S059
Every terror attack or the upheaval caused by global conflict can impact the travel and tourism industry. Regardless of the intended target, the impact of such events can be felt worldwide. Travel restrictions underpinned by terrorism & conflict have the potential to restrict the freedom of movement of individuals and have negative implications for those dependent on tourism. As long as conflict continues, and the threat of terrorism remains the travel and tourism sector will continue to be impacted by this theme.
This thematic research report takes an in-depth look at the theme of terrorism & conflict and the impact it has on the travel and tourism industry. This report analyzes the players impacted by this theme alongside the contributing trends, negative destination trends, unintended opportunities, and niche tourism trends as a result of terrorism & conflict. It then dives deep into an industry analysis presenting a number of real-life case studies looking at how destinations and companies have responded to the impact of this theme on their operations. Recommendations are then offered for the travel sector alongside a description of companies mentioned throughout.
"The effects of terrorism and conflict can have a deleterious impact on a destination. However, by increase tourism in the aftermath, a country can expedite its recovery stage bringing benefits to the wider economy. Working together to achieve a common goal is important and key to destinations achieving a quick bounce back. The tourism industry is powerful and resilient which will allow it to continue to come back stronger even after suffering the horrible impact of terrorism and conflict". - Gus Gardner, Travel & Tourism Associate Analyst, GlobalData.
- There is very little that travel and tourism companies can do to prepare for the threat of terrorism & conflict. With conflict it is often easier to spot the warning signs and put measures in place to reduce the impact, whilst with terrorism there is often no prewarning and the impact can be more widespread.
- Some of the areas suffering from conflict are rich with culture that could become a touristic site of interest if peace were restored. Despite the destruction and suffering that terrorism & conflict can cause, there are occasions where silver linings can be found.
- The effects of terrorism & conflict can leave a destination in a state of disrepair and there seems to be no end to the suffering being experienced. However, by increasing tourism, the economy can benefit directly, and the destination will be more likely to receive investment from foreign sources.
- Almost all travel and tourism companies are impacted by this theme. NGOs are the most heavily involved in helping those affected by conflict and helping with the rebuilding efforts. Others include hotels, airlines, and specialist tour operators running tours to areas impacted by conflict.
- There are many niche tourism types that can support a country seeking to recover from terrorism & conflict including voluntourism, dark tourism, and war tourism.
- This thematic report provides an overview of the impact terrorism & conflict has on the travel sector and seeks to understand some of the contributory factors.
- The key trends within this theme are split into four categories: trends contributing to terrorism & conflict, negative destination trends as a result of terrorism & conflict, unintended opportunities as a result of terrorism & conflict, and niche tourism trends as a result of terrorism & conflict.
- Several case studies are included to analyze the multiple ways companies and countries have responded to the impact of this theme and what they are doing to tackle the issue.
- Our unique thematic analysis then dives deep into the impact of the theme on the travel and tourism industry, underlining several countries that have been impacted the most by terrorism & conflict.
Reasons to Buy
- Understand the impacts of terrorism & conflict on travel and tourism companies, using case studies and examples to help you understand how you can tackle and mitigate against the impact of this issue.
- Assess the strategies that companies and governments are adopting to combat the issue and attract travelers to their destinations, gaining a competitive advantage as a result.
- Discover which countries and companies have been most affected by terrorism & conflict and seek to understand what actions they have taken to rebuild their tourism economy.
- Discover recommendations that will help you mitigate against the impacts terrorism & conflict can cause.
- GlobalData's thematic research ecosystem is a single, integrated global research platform that provides an easy-to-use framework for tracking all themes across all companies in all sectors. It has a proven track record of identifying the important themes early, enabling companies to make the right investments ahead of the competition, and secure that all-important competitive advantage.
- This theme has the potential to impact all players across the travel and tourism supply chain. Therefore, all should buy this report to fully understand how this theme has such an impact and the ways others have developed recovery strategies for a successful rebuild.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Thematic briefing
- Trends contributing to terrorism & conflict
- Negative destination trends as a result of terrorism & conflict
- Unintended opportunities as a result of terrorism & conflict
- Niche tourism trends as a result of terrorism & conflict
- Industry analysis
- Consumer sentiment analysis
- Country Risk Analysis
- Country impact analysis following an incident of terrorism or conflict
- Case studies
- Hong Kong
- Sri Lanka Easter Bombings
- P & O Cruises
- Impact on travel & tourism
- Recommendations for the travel and tourism sector
- Public companies
- Private companies
- Further reading
- GlobalData reports
- Our thematic research methodology
- About GlobalData
- Contact Us