Food encapsulation is used for incorporation of the ingredients into the food. It wraps the protective shell around the flavor ingredients, bioactive ingredients or other ingredients. This protective shell provides the protection against the harsh conditions during the production of the end-products. It allows the food ingredients to retain their flavor and remove the bad taste. It improves the shelf life of food products. It stabilizes the food ingredients in their original form. It is effective in reducing the degradation or loss of flavor during the processes and storage of the food products.
Food encapsulation provides the various advantages such as controlled release based on time or temperature. It improves the heat & oxidative resistance of the food products. Various food encapsulation technologies such as microencapsulation, nanoencapsulation, and hybrid encapsulation are used for the production of food products. Different methods such as physical, chemical, and physico-chemical methods are used. Food encapsulation is widely used for the production of the dietary supplements, functional food products, bakery products, confectionery, beverages, frozen products, and dairy products.
The global food encapsulation market size was worth US$ XX billion in 2018 and is estimated to reach US$ XX billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of XX % during the forecast period (2020-2027).
Rising Consumption of Food and Dietary Supplements is Driving the Growth of the Market
The demand for food encapsulation is increasing with the growing consumption of the food and dietary supplements. Various food and dietary supplements such as vitamins, minerals, Omega 3, enzymes, organic acids, probiotics, prebiotics, additives, and other supplements for the prevention of the various lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, stroke, obesity and other diseases. There is growing consumption of the food and dietary supplements with the changing lifestyles and dietary habits across the globe. The increasing awareness regarding the health benefits shall boost the demand for the food and dietary supplements.
Growing Funding & Investment is Expected to Boost the Market Growth over the Forecast Period
Several public & private companies are raising the funding & investment for the food encapsulation. For instance, in February 2016, Imperial Innovations Group plc had raised the £5.0 million Series A funding round in Aqdot Limited, the Cambridge, United Kingdom based encapsulation specialist company. As per the investment the Imperial Innovations Group plc hold the 46.5% interest in Aqdot Limited. In December 2013, Imperial Innovations Group plc had invested the £350k and led a new seed funding round of almost £1 million ($1.6 million) into Aqdot Limited. The funding was used for the development of the Aqdot technology including the encapsulation technology and patnership with the other companies in the selected markets.
Several Companies are Focussing on Expanding their Capabilities for Food Encapsulation is Increasing the Market Growth
Several companies are focussing are focussing on expanding their capabilities for food encapsulation. For instance, in May 2019, Symrise had expanded its flavours encapsulation plant in Branchburg, New Jersey. The company has added a new 23,000 square-foot spray bed drying facility to the site. This new spray bed drying line would enhance the ability of the company to provide the encapsulated flavours to food and beverage brands across the North American market. In April 2018, AnaBio Technologies Ltd., specialized in encapsulation using natural food proteins had opened the new facility in Carrigtwohill, near Cork, Ireland. AnaBio Technologies Ltd had patented the natural food-grade microencapsulation technology for stabilization, protection, and targeted release of sensitive ingredients. In October 2013, Firmenich had opened the new state-of-the-art encapsulation facility at the Karawang International Industrial City, near Jakarta, Indonesia. This facility would be used for the production of the company's proprietary flavor encapsulation technology. In December 2012, RFI had expanded the Loveland, Colorado manufacturing facility. This facility would provide the encapsulation, powder filling and bottling.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The global food encapsulation market has witness no impetus impact on the operations and supply chain of the food encapsulated products across the globe. The manufacturing facilities of the companies with food encapsulation technologies are still operating in COVID-19 pandemic. There is increasing development of the food and dietary supplements due to their health benefits for prevention of COVID-19 infection. Food encapsulation technologies is being used for the production of the food and dietary supplements.
Polysaccharides Segment is Expected to Hold the Largest Share in the Food Encapsulation Market
The food encapsulation market is classified based on the shell material as the polysaccharides, emulsifiers, lipids, and proteins. The polysaccharides segment is anticipated to hold the largest share of XX% in 2019 due to the rising adoption of the polysaccharides as the encapsulating matrices to protect sensitive oils and bioactive ingredients. Polysaccharides are widely preferred by the food manufacturers due to their role in the microstructure of numerous food products. Polysaccharides are the large molecules made up of the smaller monosaccharides connected by glycoside bonds. Polysaccharides comprised of the branched or linear structure. Polysaccharides can be easily chemically modifiable. Polysaccharides comprised of the more than one sugar or sugar derivatives. These compounds provide the numerous textures and viscosities. Polysaccharides are the most suitable building blocks for delivery systems. There is growing demand for the chemically processed polysaccharides such as methylcellulose and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose with the superior film, forming ability, improved chemical stability for better stabilization and protection.
By Application, Dietary Supplements Segment is Expected to Witness a High Growth Over the Forecast Period
The food encapsulation market is classified based on the application as the dietary supplements, functional food products, bakery products, confectionery, beverages, frozen products, and dairy products. The dietary supplements is expected to witnessed the high growth over the forecasted peroid due to the higher adoption of the food encapsulation technology for production of the dietary supplements. Food encapsulation technology is an effective technology for incorporating the health-promoting ingredients into food without reducing their bioavailability or functionality. Food encapsulation technology provides the protection for health-promoting ingredients into dietary supplements. Several companies are using the advanced food encapsulation technology for improving the quality of dietary supplements. The high demand for the dietary supplements in the countries such as the United States and Western Europe shall stimulate the market growth.
North America Region Holds the Largest Market Share Global Food Encapsulation Market
North America region is dominating the global food encapsulation market accounted for the largest market share in 2019 owing to the higher adoption of the food encapsulation technology for preserving the food and maintaining their shelf-life. This technology is also effective in enhancing the taste, flavor, and color of the foods. There is high consumption of the functional food products shall stimulate the market growth. According to the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), the United States is the leading consumer of the functional foods. Food encapsulation is widely used to deliver the delivery of precise levels of nutrients. There is high availability of the shell materials such as hydrocolloid, emulsions, polysaccharides, emulsifiers, lipids, and proteins. The United States accounts for the highest market share due to the presence of the large number of the market players providing the food encapsulation technology. There is growing demand for the food products with improved heat & oxidative resistance, increased shelf-life stability, and improved end-product quality.
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Grow at the Fastest CAGR During the Forecast Period
Asia-Pacific region is estimated to be the fastest-growing region in the global food encapsulation market owing to the increasing demand for the convenient and healthy food products. Food encapsulation is an effective technology to overcome the challenges associated with color, taste, nutrition, and food preservation. There is increasing usage of the food encapsulation to make the easy coating of food ingredients such as acidulants, fats, flavors, and whole ingredients such as raisins or nuts. The drastic market is expected to be observed in the Japan, China, and India due to the growing consumption of the food ingredients including vitamins, minerals, enzymes and probiotics with the changing dietary patterns along with increasing consumer awareness regarding their health benefits. The growing prevalence of the several diseases such as obesity, diabetes, stress, and high blood pressure shall have a positive impact on the market. There is presence of the several market players using the food encapsulation technology for the development of the food products. The growing domestic income and purchasing power of the people shall stimulate the market growth.
The food encapsulation market studied is a fragmented market with the presence of large number of market players. Aveka Group, ABCO Laboratories, Inc., Balchem Corporation, Cargill Inc., Advanced BioNutrition Corporation, Sphera Encapsulation, VitaSquare, Clextral, Encapsys Microencapsulation, Ingredion Incorporated, Symrise AG, International Flavor & Fragrances Inc., and DuPont de Nemours, Inc. are the major players with the significant market share. The major players are adopting several growth strategies such as product launches, mergers, licensing, acquisitions, and collaborations, which are contributing to the growth of the Food Encapsulation market globally. For instance,
Mergers & Collaborations:
- In December 2019, DuPont's Nutrition & Biosciences had merged with the International Flavors & Fragrances. Under the terms of the agreement, DuPont shareholders would own 55.4% of the shares of the new company and existing IFF shareholders would own 44.6%. DuPont would receive a one-time $7.3 billion special cash payment, subject to certain adjustments.
- In December 2019, Blue Pacific Flavors had entered into the collaboration with McCormick & Company to market the non-GMO, natural flavors with FlavorCell encapsulation technology to powdered beverages, confectionery and bakery products. This collaboration would provide the Blue Pacific access to a proprietary, patented-technology platform to offer its customers with encapsulated natural flavors that offer superior taste, solubility and shelf life.
- In July 2019, DSM had formed the joint venture with Evonik to produce encapsulated omega-3 fatty acids. The encapsulated omega-3 fatty acids would be effective for reducing the pressure on fish stocks, and supporting the aquaculture industry.
- In May 2017, Lycored had formed the joint venture with Algatechnologies, a biotechnology company, to distribute Algatech's AstaPure in the form of beadlets. This joint venture would increase the brand's commercial reach in the North American market.
Product Launch & Approvals:
- In November 2019, Givaudan, the world's leading flavour and fragrance company had launched the new breakthrough fat encapsulation technology to reduce up to 75% of the fat content and 30% of the calories in meat substitutes.
- In April 2019, Lipofoods SLU had launched the Curcushine microcapsules, a highly bioavailable microencapsulated curcumin for the beauty-from-within market. This innovative formulation is natural and vegan, with high solubility when dissolved in water. It has a neutral taste and can be readily incorporated into nutricosmetics and beauty drinks.
- In January 2017, DSM had launched MEG-3, with new encapsulation technology.
- In November 2018, Lesaffre Ingredients Services (LIS) had acquired the worldwide exclusive license from the Spanish start-up Ingeniatrics for the flow-focusing (micro-encapsulation of high value product) and flow-blurring (spraying / drying of high viscous liquid and powder functionality improvement) technologies for food and animal feed ingredients, crops protection and fragrances.
- In July 2012, Royal DSM, the global Life Sciences and Materials Sciences company had acquired the Ocean Nutrition Canada, the leading global provider of fish-oil derived nutritional products to the dietary supplement and food and beverage markets. This acquisition would strengthen and complements DSM's newly established, global nutritional lipids growth platform. It would allow the company to leverage the forms, encapsulation and emulsification technologies
- In April 2019, Lipofoods had entered into the partnership with the Sphera for turmeric extract encapsulation. This partnership would act through a licensing agreement to market the curcushine microcapsules, a bioavailable microencapsulated curcumin.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the food encapsulation market segmentation by shell material, method, technology, and application highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in food encapsulation market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of Food Encapsulation market - level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global food encapsulation market report would provide an access to an approx. 61 market data table, 58 figures and 230 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Food Encapsulation Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Shell Material
- 3.2. Market Snippet by Method
- 3.3. Market Snippet by Technology
- 3.4. Market Snippet by Application
- 3.5. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 18.104.22.168. Rising Consumption of Foods and Dietary Supplements
- 22.214.171.124. Technology Advancement
- 126.96.36.199. XX
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 188.8.131.52. Stringent Regulation
- 184.108.40.206. High cost of Food Encapsulation Technologies
- 220.127.116.11. XX
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Epidemiology
- 5.3. Pipeline Analysis
- 5.4. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.5. Pricing Analysis
- 5.6. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.7. Reimbursement Analysis
- 5.8. Unmet Needs
6. Global Food Encapsulation Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Food Encapsulation Market - By Shell Material
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material Segment
- 7.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Shell Material Segment
- 7.3.1. Polysaccharides*
- 18.104.22.168. Introduction
- 22.214.171.124. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 7.3.2. Emulsifiers
- 7.3.3. Lipids
- 7.3.4. Proteins
8. Global Food Encapsulation Market - By Method
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method Segment
- 8.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Method Segment
- 8.3.1. Physical*
- 126.96.36.199. Introduction
- 188.8.131.52. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 184.108.40.206. Atomization
- 220.127.116.11. Spray drying
- 18.104.22.168. Spray chilling
- 22.214.171.124. Spinning disk
- 126.96.36.199. Fluid bed
- 188.8.131.52. Extrusion
- 184.108.40.206. Others
- 8.3.2. Chemical
- 220.127.116.11. Polymerization
- 18.104.22.168. Sol-Gel Method
- 8.3.3. Physico-Chemical
- 22.214.171.124. Coacervation
- 126.96.36.199. Evaporation-solvent diffusion method
- 188.8.131.52. Layer-by-layer encapsulation
- 184.108.40.206. Cyclodextrins
- 220.127.116.11. Liposomes
- 18.104.22.168. Others
9. Global Food Encapsulation Market - By Technology
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology Segment
- 9.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Technology Segment
- 9.3.1. Microencapsulation*
- 22.214.171.124. Introduction
- 126.96.36.199. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 9.3.2. Nanoencapsulation
- 9.3.3. Hybrid Encapsulation
10. Global Food Encapsulation Market - By Application
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
- 10.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Application Segment
- 10.3.1. Dietary Supplements*
- 10.3.1.1. Introduction
- 10.3.1.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 10.3.2. Functional Food Products
- 10.3.3. Bakery Products
- 10.3.4. Confectionery
- 10.3.5. Beverages
- 10.3.6. Frozen Products
- 10.3.7. Dairy Products
11. Global Food Encapsulation Market - By Region
- 11.1. Introduction
- 11.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 11.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 11.4. North America
- 11.4.1. Introduction
- 11.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material
- 11.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method
- 11.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 11.4.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
- 11.4.7. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 188.8.131.52. U.S.
- 184.108.40.206. Canada
- 220.127.116.11. Mexico
- 11.5. Europe
- 11.5.1. Introduction
- 11.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material
- 11.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method
- 11.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 11.5.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
- 11.5.7. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 18.104.22.168. Germany
- 22.214.171.124. U.K.
- 126.96.36.199. France
- 188.8.131.52. Italy
- 184.108.40.206. Spain
- 220.127.116.11. Rest of Europe
- 11.6. South America
- 11.6.1. Introduction
- 11.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material
- 11.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method
- 11.6.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 11.6.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
- 11.6.7. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 18.104.22.168. Brazil
- 22.214.171.124. Argentina
- 126.96.36.199. Rest of South America
- 11.7. Asia Pacific
- 11.7.1. Introduction
- 11.7.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.7.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material
- 11.7.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method
- 11.7.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 11.7.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
- 11.7.7. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 188.8.131.52. China
- 184.108.40.206. India
- 220.127.116.11. Japan
- 18.104.22.168. Australia
- 22.214.171.124. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 11.8. Middle East and Africa
- 11.8.1. Introduction
- 11.8.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.8.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Shell Material
- 11.8.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Method
- 11.8.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 11.8.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Application
12. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Competitive Landscape
- 12.1. Competitive Scenario
- 12.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 12.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
13. Global Food Encapsulation Market- Company Profiles
- 13.1. Aveka Group*
- 13.1.1. Company Overview
- 13.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 13.1.3. Key Highlights
- 13.1.4. Financial Overview
- 13.2. ABCO Laboratories, Inc.
- 13.3. Balchem Corporation
- 13.4. Cargill Inc.
- 13.5. Firmenich Inc.
- 13.6. Advanced BioNutrition Corporation
- 13.7. Sphera Encapsulation
- 13.8. VitaSquare
- 13.9. Clextral
- 13.10. Encapsys Microencapsulation
- 13.11. Ingredion Incorporated
- 13.12. GAT Food Essentials GmbH
- 13.13. Frieslandcampina Kievit
- 13.14. Blue California
- 13.15. Symrise AG
- 13.16. Lyco Red Ltd.
- 13.17. International Flavor & Fragrances Inc.
- 13.18. DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
14. Global Food Encapsulation Market - Premium Insights
15. Global Food Encapsulation Market - DataM
- 15.1. Appendix
- 15.2. About Us and Services
- 15.3. Contact Us