Product Code: CG0268MR
"Cigarettes in Malaysia, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Malaysian market.
Cigarette consumption in Malaysia has fluctuated since 1990 although more recently been in sharp decline as a result of rising prices and a spike in demand for buying from the non-duty paid sector. Awareness of the dangers posed by smoking is increasing, limiting the development of the legitimate sector, while smuggled cigarettes, rising to a reported as high as 59% of the overall market as of the first quarter of 2017 according to BAT.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2017 to 2027.
- Tax hikes usually exacerbate the non-duty paid problem but the government is keen to raise taxes to deter smoking and raise revenues. Whilst a simultaneous crackdown on illegal activities initially restricted black market volumes, they are once again gaining share.
- British American Tobacco (BAT) Malaysia is the clear leader albeit with a reduced 57.1% share in 2016.
- Although some recovery for the duty paid market is forecast from 2018 the ultimate direction for the sector will be down with further moves by the government expected so as to reduce the attractiveness of cigarettes.
- A minimum pack price has been in force since January 2010 with the last increase in 2011. It became illegal to purchase cigarettes that did not display Malaysian health warnings in January 2014. There are plans for Malaysia to become smoke free by 2045.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the Malaysian market is crucial to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- 1. Overview 5
- 2. Market Size 7
- 3. Market Structure 14
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands 18
- 5. Taxation & Retail 25
- 5.1. Taxation 25
- 5.2. Retail Prices 27
- 6. The Smoking Population 30
- 7. Production & Trade 34
- 7.1. Production 34
- 7.2. Imports 36
- 7.3. Exports 41
- 8. Operating Constraints 46
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions 46
- 8.2. Health Warnings 47
- 8.3. Other Restrictions 47
- 9. Company Profiles 50
- 10. Prospects & Forecasts 53
11. Appendix 55
- 11.1. What is this Report About? 55
- 11.2. Time Frame 56
- 11.3. Product Category Coverage 57
- 11.4. Methodology 58
- 11.5. About GlobalData 60
- 11.6. Disclaimer 61
- 11.7. Contact Us 62
List of Tables
List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, Million Pieces, 1990-2017 9
- Table 2: Duty Paid & Non-Duty Paid Sales, Billion Pieces, 1996-2017 11
- Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017 12
- Table 4: Cigarette Consumption by Type, Million Pieces, 2000-2016 14
- Table 5: Cigarette Consumption by Type, % Breakdown, 2000-2016 14
- Table 6: Cigarette Sales by Type, % Volume, 2000-2005 14
- Table 7: Cigarette Sales by Blend, % Volume, 1990-2007 15
- Table 8: Cigarette Sales by Price Segment, % Volume, 2003-2009 & 2011-2013 16
- Table 9: Cigarette Sales by Pack Type, % Volume, 2001-2007 16
- Table 10: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2017 20
- Table 11: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, % Volume, 2000-2017 21
- Table 12: Market Shares of Leading Brand Families, % of Total, 2000-2013 23
- Table 13: Manufacturer Share by Price Segment, Q1 2009 24
- Table 14: Rates of Taxation on Cigarettes, 1986-2016 26
- Table 15: Retail Prices of Selected Brands, Retail Price (MR), 2000-2015 29
- Table 16: Smoking population,1990-2016 31
- Table 17: Smoking by Age (any tobacco product), 2015 32
- Table 18: Smoking Prevalence by Region, %, 1996 32
- Table 19: Production of Cigarettes, Million Pieces, 1990-2016 35
- Table 20: Imports of Cigarettes, Million Pieces, 1990-2016 37
- Table 21: Imports by Country of Origin, 2006-2016, Million Pieces 39
- Table 22: Imports by Country of Destination, 2006-2016, % 40
- Table 23: Export of Cigarettes, Million Pieces, 1990-2016 41
- Table 24: Exports by Country of Destination, 2007-2016, Million Pieces 42
- Table 25: Exports by Country of Destination, 2007-2016, % 44
- Table 26: Company profile: British American Tobacco (Malaysia) Bhd 50
- Table 27: Company profile: JT International Bhd 51
- Table 28: Company Profile: Philip Morris (Malaysia) SdnBhd 52
- Table 29: Consumption Forecasts to 2027 54
List of Figures
List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology 58
- Figure 2: Global Data at a glance 60