Product Code: Bld2
The 13th edition of the 'Domestic Replacement Door and Window Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates original input and represents a comprehensive, informed and unique review of this mature market.
Key areas covered:
- Product review- windows, residential doors, patio doors, bi-fold doors.
- Frame material review - PVCu, aluminium, timber, composites etc.
- Sector review - public and private sectors.
- Supply and distribution review - leading manufacturers, key distribution channels by sector.
- Key trends and market influences - standards and legislation, product trends, material and distribution trends, housing and economic factors.
Areas of particular insight include:
- Market activity levels in 2015-2016.
- Material usage trends in all product sectors - some share gain for aluminium, especially in the patio doors sector with growth of bi-folds.
- Review of changes in the supply and distribution structure - industry rationalisation.
- Market trends in the private and public sectors.
- Forecasts for 2017-18 and up to 2020 - review of key market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
- 3D Aluminium, Aluk Group, Anglian Windows, Benlowe Group, Birtley Group, Britdoors Group, Capital Windows Manufacturing, Comar Architectural Aluminium, Deceuninck, Distinction Doors, Door Stop International, Duraflex, Epwin Group, Eurocell Profiles, Everest, GBW Panels, Hallmark Panels, HL Plastics, Howarth Timber, Howdens Joinery, Hurst Plastics, ID Systems, IG Doors, Jeld-Wen UK, Magnet, Masterdor, New World Developments, Premdor Crosby, Profine UK, Rehau, Reynaers, Safestyle, SAPA Building Systems, Selecta Systems, Senior Architectural Systems, Smart Systems, Synseal, Veka, Vista Panels.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Market size by Volume and Value - recent developments to 2016 and forecasts of future trends within each product group up to 2020.
- Review of market in 2015-16 - market performance and potential in short/medium term.
- Share and analysis of market by product - windows, doors and patio doors, growth of bi-folds, colour options.
- Share and analysis of market by frame material - PVC-u, timber, aluminium, composites and steel.
- Share and analysis of market by sector - direct sell, indirect private and public sector.
- Developments in the private and public sectors - role of Housing Associations, List of Top Housing Associations by dwelling stock (England, Scotland, Wales), development programmes.
- Household penetration levels - 1981-2016 and future growth. Prospects for further penetration - growth of 'second' replacement market.
- Forecasts from 2017 - 2020 - market saturation, pricing, industry restructuring, sustainability issues, impact of Brexit etc.
- Market size by Volume and Value for each product sector - recent developments to 2016 and forecasts of future trends from 2017-20.
- Analysis of market trends for each product, including use of aluminum, PVC-u, composite and timber by product.
- Product trends, forecasts of future developments up to 2020 - opportunities/threats, growth of composites etc.
- Distribution shares by sector - Social Housing, Private direct sell and Builders sector - for each product.
- Importance of frame materials within market sectors - Local Authorities, Direct Sell, Housing Associations, Conservatory market etc.
- Sustainability issues - impact on market, legislation, impact of Green Deal.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Analysis of distribution structure for PVC-u, Aluminium, Timber.
- Role of Extruders, Systems Companies, Fabricators, Merchants, Builders, Local Authorities, DIY Outlets etc. - reasons for their market positions, market changes, acquisitions etc.
- Review of changes in market structure over the last 2-3 years - recent mergers, acquisitions.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each material group - including market share analysis, strengths and weaknesses, industry rationalisation in the future.
- Review of composite door supply structure - key players.
- Retail distribution - review of suppliers in the direct sell and builders sectors of the market, market shares, strengths and weaknesses, leading companies.
KEY INFLUENCES AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- Review of standards and legislation.
- Review of current and future performance of the housing market.
- Developments within major product groups - market saturation levels, new areas of growth, niche sectors. Material and distribution trends.
- Economic influences and growth prospects up to 2020.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The market for residential replacement doors and windows is characterized by its maturity, a highly fragmented supply structure and strong competition. Market saturation remains a key issue for the replacement window sector with future growth driven by 2nd and 3rd time replacements. Following good growth in 2014-15, the market has been more subdued in terms of value growth in 2016, but newer niche sectors - such as bi-fold doors and colour options - continue to provide some opportunities for growth.
Future growth for the UK window and door replacement market is dependent on a positive housing market in the coming years, but our forecasts for 2017 and beyond remain muted, with the uncertain economic situation a central factor. The likely direction of future development of the UK window and doors replacement markets remains unclear in the short-medium term, largely influenced by the uncertainty surrounding the UK economy and the potential effects of Brexit. However, our forecasts anticipate modest growth, which is likely to be driven by need.
In the longer term, prospects will be primarily driven by the underlying level of 2nd and 3rd time replacements. A return to the volumes seen in the 1990s remains unlikely dur to the high penetration level of double glazing and improved 2nd and 3rd replacement products with longer life cycle. New legislation may encourage replacement of windows and doors to some extent, as regulations for thermal efficiency etc become stricter over time, while security and appearance will also drive second/third-time replacement. The entrance doors market is however, more likely to be positively influenced by the number of colour options available on the market. This is because the front door is generally viewed as contributing significantly to the appearance of the front of a house, as well as the purchase representing a much smaller investment.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
4. THE MARKET
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE
- 4.2.1 Market Background
- 4.2.2 History of the market
- 4.2.3 Current Situation
- 4.2.4 Future Prospects
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 4.4 MARKET SECTORS
- 4.5 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVELS
- 4.6 KEY INFLUENCES
- 4.6.1 Standards & Legislation
- 4.6.2 Environmental
- 4.6.3 Residential Construction Market
- 4.6.4 Housebuilding Market
- 4.6.5 Mix of House Building Completions
- 4.6.6 UK Social Housing Market
- 4.6.7 House moving market
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 MATERIALS - CURRENT TRENDS IN BRIEF
- 5.3 DEVELOPMENT OF KEY MATERIALS
- 5.3.1 PVCu
- 5.3.2 Aluminium
- 5.3.3 Timber
- 5.3.4 Composite Doors
- 5.3.5 Other materials
- 6.1 WINDOWS
- 6.1.1 Market Size & Volume
- 6.1.2 Distribution by Sector
- 6.2 PATIO DOORS
- 6.2.1 Market Size & Volume
- 6.3 RESIDENTIAL DOORS
- 6.3.1 Market Size & Volume
7 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- 7.1 OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 7.2 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE BY FRAME MATERIAL
- 7.2.1 PVCu
- 7.2.2 Aluminium
- 7.2.3 Timber
- 7.2.4 Composite Doors
- 7.3 RETAIL DISTRIBUTION
- 7.3.1 Retail Glazing Companies
- 7.3.2 Builders Merchants
- 7.3.3 Home Improvement Multiples
- 7.3.4 Specialist Suppliers to DIY/Builders Merchants
- TABLE 1 UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET (£M RSP) 2011-2021
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET2011 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 7 UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET (£M RSP) 2010-2019
- CHART 8 UK MARKET FOR REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND DOORS PRODUCT MIX (WINDOWS, PATIO DOORS & RESIDENTIAL DOORS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 9 UK DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND DOORS SHARE BY MARKET SECTOR 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 10 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVEL OF ANY TYPE OF DOUBLE-GLAZING 1987 TO 2016
- CHART 11 RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI 2011 TO 2013 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 12 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GB) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 13 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 14 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2020
- TABLE 15 UK HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK 2011-2016 ('000S)
- TABLE 16 EXPENDITURE ON HOUSING ASSOCIATION PROPERTIES - MAJOR REPAIRS, PLANNED MAINTENANCE, SERVICE COSTS - 2010-14 (£M)
- TABLE 17 TOP 30 HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS BY TOTAL SPEND ON REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE - 2013 AND 2014 (£M)
- TABLE 18 TOP 10 PPR/HA GROUPS IN ENGLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2015 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE
- TABLE 19 TOP 10 HA GROUPS IN SCOTLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2015 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE
- TABLE 20 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020
- CHART 21 MOVING ANNUAL TOTAL SECURED GROSS LENDING TO INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS 2010 TO 2016 - MAT (£MILLION)
- CHART 22 MIX OF WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU) - DEVELOPMENT OVER TIME 1986 TO 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 23 MIX OF PATIO DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU) DEVELOPMENT OVER TIME - % BY VALUE
- CHART 24 MIX OF RESIDENTIAL DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, COMPOSITES, PVCU) DEVELOPMENT OVER TIME 1986 TO 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 25 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT WINDOWS AND DOORS PRODUCT MIX (WINDOWS, PATIO DOORS & RESIDENTIAL DOORS) 2016 - % BY VALUE 2016
- TABLE 26 UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS 2011-2021 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 27 UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS DISTRIBUTION MIX (DIRECT SELL, LA/HA, INDIRECT PRIVATE) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 28 UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS 2011 -2021 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- TABLE 29 UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL DOORS 2011-2021 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 30 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR PVCU DOORS AND WINDOWS
- TABLE 31 PVCU SYSTEMS MARKET SUPPLIER SHARES - 2016
- CHART 32 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - ALUMINIUM WINDOWS AND DOORS
- CHART 33 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - TIMBER WINDOWS AND DOORS
- CHART 34 DISTRIBUTION OF TIMBER DOORS & WINDOWS 2016 - % BY VOLUME
- CHART 35 UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW MARKET RETAIL CHANNEL MIX (NATIONAL, REGIONAL & LOCAL SHARES) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 36 RETAIL MARKET SHARE 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 37 MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2015
- CHART 38 MIX OF MERCHANTS BY TYPE 2015
- CHART 39 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2015