Product Code: hte9
The 3rd edition of the 'Home Automation Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' addresses the market for home automation products, which is a rapidly growing market and has benefited from the spread of wireless and app based technologies. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed analysis and insight - of key trends and demand for home automation systems.
- Key technological trends influencing market development.
- Detailed analysis of key product sectors - access and security control, climate control, lighting control, home entertainment systems and others (communication systems, home health monitoring etc).
- Assessment of the supply side of the market and a detailed analysis of the leading home automation systems manufacturers, suppliers and distributors.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
Areas of Particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2021.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics. Impact of Wi-Fi and app-based technologies
- Product group analysis - review of major product sectors.
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- Review of distribution structure.
Some of the companies included:
AMX UK, Control4 EMEA, Crestron Electronics, Savant, LightwaveRF plc, Came BPT UK, Leviton Qubino, Rako Controls, Gira, Carlo Gavazzi UK, Cytech Technology, Global Cache, Fibaro UK, Secant, VDA Group, Loxone, Lutron EA, Cooper Controls, JCC Lighting, Philips Dynalite, Ledvance (Osram), RTI (Remote Technologies Incorporated), Helvar, Futronix, BEG (UK), Armour Home Electronics, Nortek, Legrand, Loewe UK, Basalte, Russound, Sonos UK, Pure International, ADT Fire and Security, Verisure Services (UK), Yale UK, SECOM, Ring.com, iSmart Alarm, Response Electronics, British Gas, Google, Tado, Climote, Heatmiser, Heat Genius, Honeywell Control Systems, Myson, PassivSystems, Devolo UK, Green Energy Options (GEO), Inspire Home Automation, SALUS Controls, Green Momit SL, Intelli Heat, Netatmo, Q-bus.
Key areas covered in the Report
- Home Automation Market Review
- Market definition - components within a home automation system can include devices, sensors, control system hardware, programming of interfaces (eg remote controls, touch screens/pads, etc), cabling infrastructure, wireless links, high-speed internet connection, emergency back-up power source for the control system and the wiring within the home.
- Market size and value 2012-2016 and future prospects to 2021 - market structure.
- Technologies used - home networks, hardwired and wireless, system protocols - advantages and disadvantages, proprietary systems vs. standardized.
- Key influencing factors - social and demographic change, housebuilding, consumer confidence, technological innovations, environmental considerations, etc.
- Market Size, Trends and Influences
- Home automation market - background, definition, components used, key advantages and disadvantages, market penetration, pricing trends, move towards mainstream systems, mix by type of installation etc.
- Key trends by application sector - access and security control, climate control (heating and ventilation), lighting control, home entertainment systems, communication systems, home health monitoring, other home systems - market sizes, key trends etc.
- Environmental concerns - including building regulations and legislation, energy savings, impact of smart meters, development of smart grid, use with renewables etc.
- Technological influences - including internet access trends, super-fast broadband coverage, mobile internet usage, tablet computers, home automation apps, cloud-based systems, touch panel controls, home automation packages, third party products, future developments etc.
- Housing market - including housing completions - overall and by dwelling type, use in new homes, second residences, RMI activity, self-build sector etc.
- Supply Chain Trends and Distribution
- Review and analysis of leading home automation suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key products, market positioning etc.
- Distribution - including overall structure and market mix by channel.
- Specialist suppliers - home automation distributors and specialist dealers.
- Other suppliers - direct from manufacturer, internet sales, non-specialist retailers, electrical wholesalers, utilities.
- Market Prospects
- Market prospects for the home automation market to 2021, with market size estimation.
- Factors affecting market - positive and negative influences, trends in key sectors.
Although home automation systems have been available in the UK for many years, it is in recent years they have expanded from an upper market niche into a more mainstream market. This crossover to the mainstream is a key development that is changing the structure of the market with a large variety of entry level and lower cost home automation products having been made available at very competitive prices in the past 2-3 years.
Technological advances driving the home automation market include the progress of wireless controls and "app" or application programme-driven control interfaces, which emphasize user-friendliness. Remote control of the system has meant that the consumer is increasingly able to control all aspects of the connected home from within the home, whilst travelling, at work or even abroad via smartphones, tablets and PCs. Take up of wireless routers/Internet has also benefited the home automation market, with increasing numbers of suppliers offering wireless systems based around the home Wi-Fi network. Growth of wireless systems has also resulted in lower installation costs and less complexity of the installation.
The offering of modular systems which enable future expansion has also driven growth, and in addition, the development of systems aimed at self-installation has expanded significantly helping to substantially reduce costs and make systems more affordable to a wider market. Greater interest and purchase of home security systems and devices has been encouraged by the wider availability of smartphone app controlled devices that are now more affordable and enable greater monitoring and control of security devices: access, CCTV, motion and smoke, water detectors and other devices.
The market is currently considered to be in the initial growth stage, supported by a near tripling in growth 2012-16 which is currently forecast to continue into the medium-term, with market value forecast to nearly double by 2021. Medium-term prospects for home automation remain positive. Recent growth of intelligent heating controls is likely to continue into the medium-term, with rapid innovation likely to be the key driver.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
4. UK MARKET FOR HOME AUTOMATION
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.1.1 Systems
- 4.1.2 Advantages of Home Automation Systems
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND PROSPECTS TO 2021
- 4.3 MARKET PENETRATION
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE
- 4.5 MARKET DRIVERS AND INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1 Environmental Influences
- 4.5.2 Smart Meters and Smart Grid
- 4.5.3 Technological Influences
- 4.5.4 Housing Market
- 4.5.5 Demographic Factors
- 5.1 TECHNOLOGIES
- 5.2 APPLICATION AREAS
- 5.2.1 Access and Security Control
- 5.2.2 Climate Control
- 5.2.3 Lighting Controls
- 5.2.4 Audio Visual &Home Entertainment Systems
- 5.2.5 Communication Systems
- 5.2.6 Home Health and Wellbeing
- 5.2.7 Other Systems
- 6.1 KEY SUPPLIERS
- 6.1.1 System Supplier Specialists
- 6.1.2 Lighting Specialists
- 6.1.3 Audio and Visual Specialists
- 6.1.4 Security and Access Control Specialists
- 6.1.5 HVAC Specialists
- 6.2 OTHER GENERAL PRODUCT SUPPLIERS
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 7.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 7.3 HOME AUTOMATION SPECIALISTS
- 7.3.1 Distributors
- 7.3.2 Installers
- 7.4 DIRECT SALES/INTERNET
- 7.5 NON-SPECIALISTS
- 7.5.1 Electrical Wholesalers
- 7.5.2 Multiple Retailers
- 7.5.3 Utilities Companies
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012 - 2021 - BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: KEY ADVANTAGES OF HOME AUTOMATION
- TABLE 7: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012 - 2021 - BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- CHART 8: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET - PRODUCT MIX (SPECIALIST SYSTEMS, ENTRY LEVEL SYSTEMS, SMART HEATING CONTROLS) - % SHARE BY VALUE 2016
- CHART 9: INSTALLATIONS OF SMART METERS INTO DOMESTIC PROPERTIES BY LARGER ENERGY SUPPLIERS Q3 2014 - Q3 2016 - BY VOLUME (NUMBER OF METERS)
- CHART 10: GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2006 - 2016 % OF HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET CONNECTION & % ADULTS USING INTERNET DAILY
- CHART 11: DEVICES USED TO ACCESS THE INTERNET IN GB - % SHARE BY TYPE OF DEVICE ADULTS AGED 16+ 2016
- CHART 12: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 13: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2010-2021
- CHART 14: RMI HOUSING OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2012 - 2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 15: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012-2021
- TABLE 16: UK SELF-BUILD MARKET 2012 - 2021 - COMPLETIONS BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 17: UK POPULATION 65+ MID-YEAR PROJECTIONS 2000, 2010, 2015, 2020 AND
- TABLE 18: UK INTRUDER ALARM MARKET 2012 2016 (£M AT END-USER PRICES)
- CHART 19: SMART & CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2012-2020
- TABLE 20: SMART HEATING CONTROLS - LEADING SUPPLIERS 2016
- TABLE 21: UK LIGHTING CONTROLS & COMPONENTS MARKET 2012 - 2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 22: UK SPECIALIST HOME AUTOMATION SUPPLIERS - % ESTIMATED MARKET SHARE 2016
- CHART 23: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR HOME AUTOMATION SYSTEMS
- CHART 24: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS (SPECIALISTS, DIRECT, OTHERS) - % SHARE 2016
- CHART 25: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2016 - % BY VALUE