Product Code: bld62
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the ‘Public Sector (Non-Residential) Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis’ specifically focuses on public sector construction activity within healthcare, education, defence, custodial, justice and other public sectors against a backdrop of continuing public sector funding cuts and uncertainties surrounding Brexit.
Key areas in the report:
- Structure, size and value of the public sector construction market and a detailed assessment of the major sectors within public sector construction.
- In-depth analysis of government funding for schools, higher education, healthcare and defence. Analysis of both resource and capital spending levels to 2021.
- Detailed review of major contractors and consortia involved in public sector construction forecasts of market developments to 2021.
- Review of investment levels and progress in sector-specific procurement routes and construction programmes within the key public sectors.
- Analysis of construction output in the public sector with forecasts to 2020-21. Future opportunities for public sector work for the construction industry.
Areas of particular interest:
- Capital spending is now being prioritised following the easing of austerity measures, enabling the government to use public borrowing to fund capital developments. This will see capital spending rise from £52.3bn in 2016-17 to £74.2bn in 2021-22, a rise of around 41.8% over the 6 year period.
- Analysis of the likely impact of Brexit on public sector funding and public sector projects, EU funding and the availability of new loans from the EIB.
- Review of key public sector procurement routes and programmes including PFI and PF2; and Regional Construction Frameworks such as the London Construction Programme; the Southern Construction Framework; the North West Construction Hub; EMPA/SCAPE Contractors Frameworks; YORhub; Constructing West Midlands; and NEPO in the North East.
- A review of the new public sector market frameworks and alternative procurement routes to central government frameworks including Pagabo Major Projects Framework for EU compliant projects covering Scotland, the North, Wales and South.
Some of the major contractors featured include:
Amey, Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bowmer & Kirkland, Bouygues, Carillion, Farrans Construction, Galliford Try, Graham Construction, Henry Boot, Higgins Group, Interserve, ISG, Kier, Laing O'Rourke, Lend Lease, Mace, McLaren Construction, McLaughlin & Harvey, Midas, Miller, Morgan Sindall, R G Carter, Robertson, Morrison, Seddon Construction, Shaylor, Shepherd, Sir Robert McAlpine Skanska, Vinci, Volker Fitzpatrick, Wates, Willmott Dixon.
Public Sector Construction Market in the UK
- Value of construction output 2012 to 2021. Total new work and RMI output in the residential and non-residential sectors, trends by sector and forecasts to 2021.
- Public non-residential construction analysis and outlook 2012-2021 - output, forecasts and sector analysis: health, education, defence, police, custodial, justice and other public sectors.
- Current and forecast public sector spending and investment. Impact of 'Brexit' on public sector spending and public sector projects to 2021.
- Analysis of policy and announcements in the 2016 budget and 2016 autumn statement.
- Public sector funding: Education - DfE spending; higher education spending; education capital spending.
- Public sector funding: Healthcare - NHS spending; CCG spending; NHS in Scotland & Wales; healthcare capital spending to 2021.
Procurement Programmes in Public Sector Construction
- Overview of government investment in PFI projects. Analysis of forthcoming public sector projects under PF2.
- Construction and procurement programmes in the education sector: PFI; PSBP; academies/free schools programme; Scotland-schools for the future programme; Wales - 21st century schools programme.
- Construction and procurement programmes in the healthcare sector: PFI & PPP; PF2; ExpressLIFT; Scottish hub initiative and frameworks Scotland; Procure21+ and P22; and designed for life: building for Wales framework.
- Construction and procurement programmes in the defence sector: next generation estate contracts (NGEC) programme with a mix of prime contracts and capital works frameworks.
- Construction and procurement programmes in the justice, police, fire & rescue and custodial sectors.
- Review of regional construction frameworks such as the London construction programme; the Southern construction framework; the North West construction Hub; EMPA/SCAPE contractors frameworks; YORhub; Constructing West Midlands; and NEPO in the North East.
Construction Supply in the Public Sector
- Detailed review of major contractors and consortia and overview of contractor capability and experience in public sector construction work.
- Key contractors in the education healthcare, education, defence and other public sectors. Capability, experience and key projects and frameworks awarded in 2016.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SUMMARY
- 2.2. MARKET PROSPECTS
3. PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- 3.1. CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK AND RMI - VALUE OF OUTPUT TO 2021
- 3.1.1. Non-Residential Construction Output by Sector in 2016
- 3.2. PUBLIC SECTOR (NON-RESIDENTIAL) CONSTRUCTION MARKET
- 3.3. SECTOR ANALYSIS
- 3.3.1. Healthcare Sector
- 3.3.2. Education Sector
- 3.3.3. Defence Sector
- 3.3.4. Other Public Sector Categories
4. FUNDING OF PUBLIC SECTOR WORK
- 4.1. PUBLIC SECTOR INVESTMENT
- 4.1.1. Current and Forecast Public Sector Investment
- 4.1.2. Public Sector Capital Spending
- 4.1.3. 2016 Budget
- 4.1.4. 2016 Autumn Statement
- 4.1.5. Impact of ‘Brexit' on Public Sector Spending
- 4.2. EDUCATION SPENDING
- 4.2.1. DfE Spending
- 4.2.2. Higher Education Funding
- 4.2.3. Education Capital Spending
- 4.3. HEALTHCARE SPENDING
- 4.3.1. Healthcare Capital Spending
- 4.3.2. CCG/Primary Care Allocations
- 4.3.3. Scotland
- 4.3.4. Wales
5. PROCUREMENT PROGRAMMES IN PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION
- 5.1. PFI
- 5.1.1. Overview
- 5.1.2. PF2
- 5.2. PROCUREMENT OF WORK IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR
- 5.2.1. PFI in the Education Sector
- 5.2.2. Construction Programmes in the Education Sector
- 5.3. PROCUREMENT OF WORK IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 5.3.1. PFI in the Healthcare Sector
- 5.3.2. Construction Programmes in the Healthcare Sector
- 5.4. REGIONAL FRAMEWORKS
- 5.5. PROCUREMENT OF WORKS IN THE DEFENCE SECTOR
- 5.6. POLICE
- 5.7. PRISON SERVICE
- 5.8. FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE
6. CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
- 6.1. LEADING PUBLIC SECTOR CLIENTS
- 6.2. LEADING CONTRACTORS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
- 6.2.1. Overview
- 6.2.2. Leading Contractors in the Healthcare Sector
- 6.2.3. Leading Contractors in the Education Sector
- 6.2.4. Leading Contractors in the Defence Sector
- 6.2.5. Leading Contractors in Other Public Sectors
Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: PUBLIC SECTOR SPENDING (RESOURCE AND CAPITAL) BY DEPARTMENT 2016-17 (£BN)
- CHART 2: VALUE OF TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2012-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 3: VALUE OF NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR - % BY VALUE 2016
- TABLE 4: CONTRACTOR'S OUTPUT IN THE PUBLIC (NON-RESIDENTIAL) SECTOR 2012-2021 (£M)
- CHART 5: PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - TYPE OF WORK BY VALUE % SHARE 2016
- TABLE 6: SUMMARY OF PUBLIC SECTOR INVESTMENT AND MAJOR CAPITAL SPENDING PROGRAMMES IN EDUCATION AND HEALTH 2016-2021 BY PROGRAMME VALUE (£BN)
- TABLE 7: CONTRACTOR'S OUTPUT IN THE PUBLIC HEALTHCARE SECTOR 2012-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 8: CONTRACTOR'S OUTPUT IN THE PUBLIC EDUCATION SECTOR 2012-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 9: PUBLIC SECTOR GROSS SPENDING 2011-2021 (£BN)
- CHART 10: PUBLIC SECTOR GOVERNMENT SPENDING BY FUNCTION 2016-17 (TOTAL MANAGED EXPENDITURE BY VALUE AND %)
- CHART 11: PUBLIC SECTOR CAPITAL INVESTMENT BY VALUE (£BN) (CAPITAL DEL) 2016-2022
- TABLE 12: SUMMARY OF PUBLIC SECTOR CAPITAL SPENDING BY MAJOR DEPARTMENT: 2016 - 2022 (£BN) - EDUCATION, HEALTH, TRANSPORT, DEFENCE, HOME OFFICE, FCO, DECC, GLC COMMUNITIES ETC
- TABLE 13: DFE SPENDING 2015-2020: RESOURCE AND CAPITAL SPENDING (£BN)
- TABLE 14: HEFCE GRANT FOR FINANCIAL YEARS 2015 TO 2018 (£M)
- CHART 15: DFE CAPITAL EXPENDITURE 2012-2020 BY VALUE (£BN)
- TABLE 16: DFE: CAPITAL DEL SUMMARY 2015-17 BY BUDGET (£M)
- CHART 17: VALUE OF UK NHS EXPENDITURE 2014-2021 (£BN)
- TABLE 18: NHS CAPITAL SPENDING 2015-2021 (£BN)
- TABLE 19: HEFCE GRANT FOR FINANCIAL YEARS 2015-16 TO 2020-21 (£M)
- TABLE 20: TOTAL HEALTHCARE SPENDING SCOTLAND 2015-2017 (£M)
- TABLE 21: TOTAL HEALTHCARE SPENDING WALES 2015-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 22: CURRENT PFI INVESTMENTS BY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT (BY NUMBER AND CAPITAL COST £M)
- TABLE 23: PFI/PF2 EDUCATION SCHEMES - BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M) (AS AT APRIL 2016)
- TABLE 24: PRIORITY SCHOOLS BUILDING PROGRAMME: PROJECT STATUS (AS AT DECEMBER 2016) BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 25: SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT - KEY CAPITAL AND REVENUE FUNDED EDUCATION PROJECTS: FORWARD PIPELINE 2015-2020 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 26: PFI/PF2 HEALTHCARE SCHEMES - BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M) (AS AT APRIL 2016)
- TABLE 27: PROCURE21/P21+ FORWARD CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE 2016-2020 BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 28: FRAMEWORKS SCOTLAND - KEY HEALTH PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT: 2016-2020 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 29: NIEP CONSTRUCTION FRAMEWORKS - REGIONS, LEAD AUTHORITY, PROJECT DETAILS
- TABLE 30: DIO NGEC CONTRACTS CONSTRUCTION FRAMEWORKS - REGIONS, LEAD AUTHORITY, PROJECT DETAILS
- TABLE 31: GOVERNMENT CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE - KEY POLICE PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT: 2016-2020 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 32: TOP PUBLIC SECTOR CLIENTS - KEY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS BY VALUE 2015-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 33: LARGER CONTRACTORS IN PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION BY VALUE OF PROJECTS 2016 (£M)
- TABLE 34: SMALLER CONTRACTORS IN PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION BY VALUE OF PROJECTS 2016 (£M)
- TABLE 35: TOP CONTRACTORS IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR: KEY PROJECTS IN 2016 AND PREVIOUS HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE
- TABLE 36: HEALTH SECTOR ANALYSIS - MAJOR CONSORTIA AND FRAMEWORK PARTNERS
- TABLE 37: TOP CONTRACTORS IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR: KEY PROJECTS IN 2016 AND PREVIOUS EDUCATION EXPERIENCE
- TABLE 38: TOP CONTRACTORS IN THE DEFENCE SECTOR: KEY PROJECTS IN 2016 AND PREVIOUS DEFENCE EXPERIENCE
- TABLE 39: TOP CONTRACTORS IN THE CUSTODIAL, JUSTICE AND COMMUNITY SECTORS: KEY PROJECTS IN 2016 AND PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE