Product Code: 1239
Countries Covered:Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Turkey, UAE, UK, USA.
Questions Covered in the report:
- What is the comparison online shopping trend and how is it developing?
- How does this trend relate to other important E-Commerce trends, such as mobile, omnichannel and cross-border shopping?
- How does the significance of comparison shopping services differ among various countries and regions worldwide?
- Who are the main players in the comparison online shopping space?
Popularity of online comparison shopping services varies worldwide
Comparing among various offerings, prices and product features is a major pre-purchase activity for consumers worldwide. With this comparison increasingly taking place online, via computers or Internet-enabled mobile devices, the online comparison shopping trend has emerged. The yStats.com report reveals that around half of online shoppers worldwide compared prices last year online via desktop or mobile devices.
The online comparison shopping trend is linked to other important E-Commerce trends, such as the spread of mobile shopping, the emergence of omnichannel retail and the fast growth of cross-border B2C E-Commerce. Consumers are increasingly using mobile devices to comparison-shop while being in-store, comparing prices and offerings of multiple online and store-based retailers, according to the findings of yStats.com. Furthermore, a quarter of cross-border online shoppers surveyed in 2015 admitted following a link to an international merchant from a comparison shopping website.
However, the popularity of online comparison shopping services varies geographically and by product category. In South Korea, China and Japan, the share of consumers choosing price comparison sites as an online source for pre-purchase research is higher than in France, Mexico or Canada, yStats.com's research shows. In Europe, the UK had the highest share of consumers using comparison websites, standing at a high double-digit percentage in 2014. As for the product categories, electronic devices and appliances were most compared using such services both in Europe and in the USA.
Regarding competition in the comparison shopping space, yStats.com's research shows that Google Shopping is reported to be a major international source for comparison shopping. It stands in competition not only with pure comparison shopping engines and websites, but also large marketplaces such as Amazon, which was the direct first stop for both researching and buying products for close to half of online consumers in the USA in 2015. Facebook, which is testing a dedicated shopping feed, is another potential global competitor. Meanwhile, there are also strong regional leaders, such as Japan-based Kakaku in Asia, LeGuide and Yandex.Market in Europe, Buscape in Latin America and Pricecheck in Africa.
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
- Overview of Online Comparison Shopping Trend, November 2015
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out Online or on Mobile, incl. “Compared Prices with Competitors”, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014
- Types of Online Sources Used to Conduct Pre-Purchase Research, incl. Price Comparison Sites, in % of Internet Users Who Conduct Pre-Purchase Research Online, February 2015
- Actions Conducted on Mobile Phones While Being in-Store, incl. “Compare Prices”, in % of Mobile Phone Users, 2014
- Share of Mobile Phone Users Comparing Prices via Mobile Phone in-Store, by Selected Countries, in %, 2014
- Ways Used to Find International Websites to Purchase From, incl. “Follow Links from Comparison Shopping Websites”, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, October 2015
- Overview of Online Comparison Shopping Players, November 2015
- 3.1. Regional
- Share of Shoppers Who Conduct Price Comparison via Mobile Phone, in %, December 2014
- Overview of Selected Comparison Shopping Websites in Asia, incl. Global Website Rank, Number of Website Visits, Top 3 Countries by Website Traffic Share, November 2015
- 3.2. China
- Share of Online Shoppers who Choose to Shop Online Due to the Ability to Compare Products Without Going to Individual Physical Stores, in %, November 2014
- 3.3. Japan
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Purchase Online Due to the Ease of Price and Product Comparison, in %, by Gender and Total, January 2015
- 3.4. India
- Usage of Price Comparison Websites or Apps vs. Other Sources to Compare Prices Online, and Usage of Price Comparison Websites vs. Apps, in % of Shoppers Who Compare Prices Online, May 2015
4. North America
- 4.1. Regional
- Overview of Selected Comparison Shopping Websites in North America, incl. Global Website Rank, Number of Website Visits, Top 3 Countries by Website Traffic Share, November 2015
- 4.2. USA
- Penetration of Comparison Shopping on Smartphone, by Product Category, in % of Consumers, by Age Group and Total, March 2015
- 4.3. Canada
- Share of Mobile Device Users Conducting Comparison Shopping via Mobile Devices While In-Store, in %, and Frequency of Changing Purchase Decision Subsequent to Comparison Shopping via Mobile While In-Store, in % of Internet Users, June 2015
- 5.1. Regional
- Breakdown of Frequency of Using Comparison Shopping Websites in the EU, Norway and Iceland, in % of Consumers, by Country, April 2014
- Types of Product and Services for Which Comparison Shopping Websites Were Used, in % of Consumers in the EU Who Used Comparison Shopping Websites, April 2014
- Overview of Selected Comparison Shopping Websites in Europe, incl. Global Website Rank, Number of Website Visits, Top 3 Countries by Website Traffic Share, November 2015
- 5.2. UK
- Reasons for Using Price Comparison Websites, in % of Respondents Having Used Price Comparison Websites, 2014
- 5.3. Germany
- Share of Customers Searching for Information Online Prior to In-Store Purchases, in %, and Breakdown of Channels Used to Acquire Information about Products, incl. “Price Comparison Websites”, in % of Online Shoppers, February 2015
- 5.4. France
- Frequency of Online Research, Product/Service Comparison and Purchase Activities, in % of Internet Users, November 2014
- 5.5. Russia
- Top Online Retail Categories by Audience Reach, incl. “Comparison Shopping”, in million Unique Visitors, July 2015
- 5.6. Italy
- Breakdown of Online Marketing Spending, by Channel, incl. “Comparison Websites”, in %, April 2015
- 5.7. Turkey
- Share of Internet Users Who Conduct Price Comparison Online, in %, May 2015
6. Latin America
- 6.1. Regional
- Overview of Selected Comparison Shopping Websites in Latin America, incl. Global Website Rank, Number of Website Visits, Top 3 Countries by Website Traffic Share, November 2015
- 6.2. Brazil
- Websites Used to Choose an Online Shop, incl. “Price Comparison Websites”, in % of Frequent Online Shoppers, 2014
- 6.3. Mexico
- Shopping-Related Activities Carried Out on Mobile Devices, incl. “Compare Prices Before Buying a Product”, in % of Mobile Device Users, March 2015
- 6.4. Colombia
- Main Shopping-Related Activities Conducted on Mobile Devices, incl. “Compare Prices”, in % of Smartphone Users, 2014
7. Middle East & Africa
- 7.1. Regional
- Overview of Selected Comparison Shopping Websites in Middle East and Africa, incl. Global Website Rank, Number of Website Visits, Top 3 Countries by Website Traffic Share, November 2015
- 7.2. UAE
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase, by Website Type, incl. “Price Comparison Site”, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2015