Product Code: 1226
Questions Covered in the report:
- What is the current state and outlook of the B2C E-Commerce market in the Philippines?
- How does the Philippines rank relative to other countries in the region by criteria related to online retail?
- What are the key trends in the B2C E-Commerce market in the Philippines?
- Which product categories are most purchased online in this country?
- Which companies lead the online shopping market in the Philippines?
Online Retail in the Philippines Is Spurred by Rising Internet Penetration, but Challenged by Infrastructure
With a population of over 100 million people and the thirteenth largest Internet audience worldwide, the Philippines has a great potential for B2C E-Commerce development. Half of the population is under 25 years-old, and thus more likely to become tech-savvy. Although only a one-digit share of adult Internet users was making purchases online in the Philippines last year, less than in some other emerging markets worldwide, rising Internet and smartphone penetration is expected to boost online shopping. The main challenges to the robust growth of B2C E-Commerce in the Philippines are underdeveloped payments and logistics infrastructure. The government recently launched a roadmap to overcome these challenges and support the growth of online retail.
Some major trends of the B2C E-Commerce market in the Philippines include mobile shopping, social commerce and cross-border shopping. A high double-digit share of online shoppers in the Philippines used mobile phones to make purchases online at the start of last year, more than in any other country in Southeast Asia, though M-Commerce was largely limited to the purchase of digital goods and services. Furthermore, the online audience in the Philippines is one of the most engaged in social networks by global standards, which makes social media an important platform for online merchants. The country's major online retailer, Lazada.com.ph had over 10 million fans on its Facebook page in the Philippines, ranking second in popularity among all Facebook pages in the country.
Other important players of the E-Commerce market in the Philippines included daily deals websites Cashcashpinoy.com and Ensogo.com.ph, each of which received substantial investment recently, online clothing retailer Zalora.com.ph and classifieds website Olx.ph. Popular foreign shopping websites include Amazon.com, Aliexpress.com and eBay.com.
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Overview & International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Overview and International Comparisons, August 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration, by Selected Emerging Markets, incl. Philippines, in % of Adult Internet Users, May 2014
- Number of Internet Users in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Philippines, in millions, 2013 - 2018f
- Internet Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Philippines, in % of Population, 2013 - 2018f
- Share of Respondents who Made at Least One Purchase Online in the Previous Three Months in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Philippines, in %, Q4 2014
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Philippines, in % of Respondents, 2012 - 2014
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Countries, incl. Philippines, April 2015
- Internet Penetration in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Philippines, in % of Population, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Philippines, in %, 2013
- Devices Most Used for Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Philippines, Compared to Global Average, in % of Online Shoppers, Q1 2014
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase in Southeast Asia, by Device Used, in % of Online Shoppers, by Country, incl. Philippines, 2014/April 2015
- Activities Carried Out on Smartphones at Least Weekly in Southeast Asia, incl. Purchase, by Country, incl. Philippines, in % of Smartphone Users, 2014/April 2015
- Top 3 Drivers of Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Countries, incl. Philippines, Q1 2014
- Share of Internet Users Who Do Not Trust to Provide Credit Card Information Online in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Philippines, Compared to Global Average, in % of Internet Users, Q1 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Trends Overview, August 2015
- Devices Used, incl. Mobile, in % of Respondents, April 2015
- Breakdown of Mobile Internet Users, by Age Group and Gender, June 2014
- Product Categories Purchased via Social Messaging Apps on Mobile Phones, in % of Mobile Internet Users, June 2014
- Breakdown of Experience with Online Shopping, by Buying from Local Websites Only, Buying from Local and Overseas Websites and Not Buying Online, in % of Internet Users, August 2014
- Products Purchased Online Cross-Border, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Online/Offline Purchase Behavior after Online/Offline Research, in % of Internet Users, 2014/April 2015
- Breakdown of Likelihood of Following a Brand on Social Media, in % of Urban Internet Users, March 2015
4. Sales & Shares
- E-Commerce Sales, USD billion, 2014 & 2015f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2015f & 2020f
5. Users & Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 - 2014
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, and in % Penetration, 2013 - 2018f
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Surveyed Population, Q4 2014
- Purposes of Accessing the Internet and Breakdown of Main Purposes of Accessing the Internet, incl. Online Shopping, in % of Respondents, 2013 & 2014
- Top 3 Product/Service Categories to Purchase Online in the Next 6 Months, in % of Internet Users, Q1 2014
- Top Categories by Online Spending per Shopper, in USD, 2014
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2014
- Online Payment Services Used, in % of Mobile Internet Users, June 2014
- Overview of B2C E-Commerce Delivery, August 2015
- E-Commerce Player Overview, August 2015
- Top 10 Local E-Commerce Websites, by Website Rank, incl. Website Visits, Time Spent on Website, Page Views and Bounce Rate, July 2015
- Rocket Internet
- SSI Group