Product Code: 1261
Questions Covered in the report:
- How fast is B2C E-Commerce growing in Turkey?
- What are some important growth drivers and challenges for the online retail development in this country?
- How high is the online shopper penetration in Turkey and how does it compare to other countries in Europe?
- What do consumers in Turkey buy when they shop online and how do they pay for the purchases?
- Which are the largest B2C E-Commerce companies in Turkey and which companies in this sector attracted investment during 2015?
Key findings: The growth of B2C E-Commerce in Turkey attracts investors
The B2C E-Commerce market in Turkey, second largest in Eastern Europe, is also among the fastest growing, according to the new market report by yStats.com. In 2015, online retail sales in the country grew by a medium-high double-digit share and are projected to grow still further this year. Despite Turkey being the fifth largest Internet audience in Europe, Internet penetration in this country reached just above 50% of the population in 2015. Furthermore, only around one third of Internet users made purchases online that year, indicating that both Internet and online shopper penetration rates have room for growth, driving B2C E-Commerce sales higher.
Clothing has emerged as a major product category in Turkey's online retail. According to the research findings of yStats.com, it was popular both among male and female online shoppers in 2015 and was purchased by more than half of online shoppers overall. This trend spurs the popularity of online clothing retailers, such as Trendyol.com and Markafoni.com, which ranked as some of the most visited online shopping websites in the country in early 2016.
Another major characteristic of the B2C E-Commerce market in Turkey is the rising importance of mobile shopping and social media. The market report by yStats.com reveals that more than 50% of online shoppers in Turkey admitted that their online buying decision is influenced by what they read on social media, according to a survey cited in the report. M-Commerce development is driven by the increasing penetration of mobile Internet-enabled devices, already the most popular means of accessing the Internet. The major online retail competitors, such as online marketplaces GittiGidiyor and n11.com report rapid growth rates in mobile traffic and sales.
The rapid growth of the online shopping market in Turkey has attracted both foreign and domestic investors, according to yStats.com's research. The country's largest online retailer, Hepsiburada.com, received 100 million U.S. dollars of investment in early 2015, while a major online food ordering service Yemksepeti was acquired by Delivery Hero for more than half a billion U.S. dollars. As the market continues to develop, competition is expected to remain intense.
- D-Market Elektronik Hizmetler
- Delivery Hero
Table of Contents
1 MANAGEMENT SUMMARY
2 OVERVIEW AND INTERNATIONAL COMPARISONS
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, March 2016
- Breakdown of Europe's Internet Audience, by Top 5 Countries, incl. Turkey, and Others, in %, May 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Selected Countries in Eastern Europe, incl. Turkey, in EUR billion, 2014
- Number of Internet Users and Penetration in Eastern Europe, by Selected Countries, incl. Turkey, in millions and in % of Population, 2013 - 2019f
- Number of Smartphone Users and Penetration in Eastern Europe, by Selected Countries, incl. Turkey, in millions and in % of Mobile Phone Users, 2013 - 2018f
- Internet Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Individuals, 2012 - 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Internet Users, 2012 - 2015
- Cross-Border Online Shopper Penetration in Turkey, Compared to Selected Countries in the EU, in % of Online Shoppers, 2015
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Selected Countries in Europe, incl. Turkey, in % of Mobile Device Owners, 2014
- Ranking of Top 5 Fastest Growing E-Commerce Companies in Europe, by Year-on-Year Growth, in %, incl. Companies Based in Turkey, 2014
- Devices Used to Connect to the Internet, in % Households with Internet Access, Q1 2014 & Q1 2015
- Number of Mobile Internet Subscriptions, in millions and in % of Total Internet Subscriptions, Q3 2013 - Q3 2015
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, Q1 2015
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Product Categories Purchased in Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Share of Cross-Border Online Shoppers Using Social Media to Reach an International Website, in %, 12 Months to November 2015
- Share of Online Shoppers Whose Online Shopping Behavior is Influenced by Reading Reviews, Comments and Feedback on Social Media, in %, February 2016
- Product Categories Researched via Social Media Prior to Purchase, in % of Social Media Users, 2015
- Top Reasons for Online Research Prior to In-Store Purchase, and In-Store Research Prior to Online Purchase, in % of Respondents in the Relevant Group, April 2015
4 SALES & SHARES
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in TRY billion, 2013-2016f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Segment, in TRY billion, 2013 & 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2014 & 2015e
5 USERS & SHOPPERS
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2011 - 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2011 - 2015
- Breakdown of Internet Users by Time of Last Online Purchase, in %, Q1 2014 & Q1 2015
- Reasons Not to Purchase Products and Services Online, in % of Internet Users Who Do Not Shop Online, by Gender and Total, 12 Months to March 2015
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, by Gender, 12 Months to March 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Specialized Multichannel Retailers, by Product Category, in TRY million, and in % Year-on-Year Change, 2014
- Breakdown of Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in %, 2014
- Number and Value of Domestic E-Commerce Transactions with Bank Cards, in millions and in TRY million, Q1 2013 - Q4 2015
- Number and Value of Cross-Border E-Commerce Transactions with Bank Cards, in millions and in TRY million, Q1 2013 - Q4 2015
- Problems Encountered in Online Shopping, incl. Delivery, in % of Online Shoppers, by Gender and Total, 12 Months to March 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Players Overview, March 2016
- Overview of Selected E-Commerce Mergers and Acquisitions, 2015
- Top 15 E-Commerce Websites by Page Views, incl. Page Views, in millions, and Real Users, in millions, January 2016
- Breakdown of B2C E-Commerce Market Shares, by Players, in %, 2014
- Profile of D-Market Elektronik Hizmetler Ticaret A.S., March 2016
- Profile of GittiGidiyor A.S., March 2016
- Profile of Doğuş Planet Elektronik Ticaret ve Bilişim Hizmetleri A.S., March 2016