The realm of software design is changing. Organizations creating software and systems in both enterprise/IT
and embedded industries must revise their development strategies from initial requirements definition
through final product delivery. Requirements management (RM) tools are no longer relegated only to the
earliest stages of software creation. Technological and market dynamic changes are encouraging RM tool
use across the full development lifecycle. Starting in the earliest phases of software development, demand
for commercial requirements management (RM) and definition tools is accelerating as systems under design
grow more complicated and face more regulatory oversight. Development teams are finding it increasingly
difficult to create and manage relationships or dependencies between requirements and the associated
artifacts without the use of purpose-built RM solutions.
Likewise, the market for software integration and deployment solutions is transforming. Engineering
organizations are trying to avoid long integration bottlenecks by integrating code earlier and more often into
a shared repository, using a continuous integration server. While demand for this functionality rises, the
stand-alone continuous integration (CI) tool market is facing disruption from competing open-source
solutions. In response, CI tool vendors' strategies are evolving. Rather than focus on CI, tool vendors are
more frequently offering solutions supporting higher levels of functionality, such as continuous deployment
or release management.
This report analyzes the market and emerging trends for commercially available RM and CI tools employed
in the development of embedded or enterprise/IT software and systems. Tools covered in this report are
those used primarily for requirements elicitation, definition, and management or as a repository for merging
working copies of code to a shared mainline.
What questions are addressed?
- How are software and system development methodologies impacting the evaluation of RM tools?
- In what ways does the use of Agile and DevOps influence demand for CI solutions?
- How should RM suppliers such as Blueprint, Jama Software, and Polarion approach embedded industries currently dominated by incumbent vendors such as IBM and Dassault Systemes?
- What additional capabilities are users of CI tools seeking?
- Which qualities are most important to those evaluating RM and CI solutions?
- How is the interest in and opportunity related to the Internet of Things (IoT) influencing the CI and RM markets?
- In what ways is the Requirements Interchange Format (ReqIF) impacting the RM supplier landscape?
Table of Contents
Inside This Report
- What questions are addressed?
- Who should read this report?
- Vendors Listed in this Report
Table of Contents
Global Market Overview
- Exhibit 1: Global Requirements Management Tools Forecast by Market (Millions of Dollars)
- Exhibit 2: Global Continuous Integration Tools Forecast by Market (Millions of Dollars)
- RM revenue driven by complexity and standards
- an influx of investment in RM to pursue new opportunities
- Exhibit 3: Current and Projected Use Rates for RM and CI Tools (Percent of Respondents)
- Cl market challenged by the success of open source solutions
- Recent Developments
- ReqIF a key to disruption
- Market dynamics and user expectations are evolving
- Continuous integration users looking to continuous delivery and deployment
- Competitive Landscape
- Gradual erosion of IBM's market position
- Competition is expanding in tandem
- Exhibit 4: Americas Market CI and RM Tools Forecast, by Tool Type (Millions of Dollars)
- Exhibit 5: EMEA Market CI and RM Tools Forecast, by Tool Type (Millions of Dollars)
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
- Exhibit 6: APAC Market CI and RM Tools Forecast, by Tool Type (Millions of Dollars)
Comparative Forecast by Vertical Markets
- Exhibit 7: Vertical Market Share Forecast: Embedded RM Tools (Millions of Dollars)
- Exhibit 8: Vertical Market Share Forecast: Embedded CI Tools (Millions of Dollars)
- Ideas & Insights
- Regulated industries leading the way for commercial RM adoption
Competitive Landscape by Technology
- Continuous Integration Tools - Vendor Insights
- IBM UrbanCode/AnthillPro
- Electric Cloud
- Embedded Requirement Management Tools - Vendor Insights
- Exhibit 9: Embedded Requirements Management Tools 2014 Market Share (Percent of Dollars)
- Polarion (Siemens)
- Jama Software
- Enterprise/IT Requirement Management Tools - Vendor Insights
- Exhibit 10: Enterprise/IT Requirements Management Tools 2014 Market Share (Percent of Dollars)
- Serena Software
- Blueprint Systems
End User Insights
- Exhibit 11: Distribution of Embedded Development Costs on Current Project (Percent of Dollars)
- Exhibit 12: Distribution of End-product Value by Component, Embedded Market (Average Percent of Project Value)
- Exhibit 13: Purchasing Decision Maker for Requirements Management/Definition Tools
- Cost and Value of Software Encouraging Management Involvement in RM Purchasing
- End User Trend 2
- Process Standards and Shifting Market Dynamics Influencing RM Selection Criteria
- Exhibit 14: Most Important Factors in the Selection of the Requirements Management/Definition Tools (Percent of Respondents)
- Exhibit 15: Level of Cross-Domain Engineering Integration in Embedded (Percent of Respondents)
- Cross-domain Engineering Integration Driving RM and Cl Tool Use
- Scope/Methodology - RM and CI Tools
- About the Author
- About VDC Research